1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Feb '16 15:02
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Richard Wagner.

Adore the music. Genius. BUT……..The man was an unpleasant, bigoted and arrogant S**T.
    I totally agree here.

Plus I am happy that Daniel Barenboim performed Wagner in Israel. Not for Wagner's sake, but to document, that music can be beautiful Independent of the political view of ist Composer.
  2. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    04 Feb '16 06:261 edit
    Totally agree. Daniel Barenboim with his West-Eastern Divan Orchestra is a shining light in the darkness of bigotry and dogma. Proof that music transcends petty politics. Still, a brave decision to perform "satan's music" in the Zionist stronghold!
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '16 06:301 edit
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Totally agree. Daniel Barenboim with his West-Eastern Divan Orchestra is a shining light in the darkness of bigotry and dogma. Proof that music transcends petty politics. Still, a brave decision to perform "satan's music" in the Zionist stronghold!
    John Zorn's refusal to play in Germany (if I am not mistaken about it ~ I heard him say it in a documentary) is an interesting decision.

edit: Oh, I see he has played in Germany in more recent years. Did he relent or was I mistaken about there being a personal embargo in an earlier part of his career?
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Feb '16 10:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    John Zorn's refusal to play in Germany (if I am not mistaken about it ~ I heard him say it in a documentary) is an interesting decision.

edit: Oh, I see he has played in Germany in more recent years. Did he relent or was I mistaken about there being a personal embargo in an earlier part of his career?
    In fact his Music is quite well known in Germany, and I admit to have not heard that he would not perform here...but then he might have changed his mind, since of of his greater characteristics is his flexibility (IMVHO).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree