1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 15:13
    Originally posted by rookie54
    after reading the page where the test is administered, i know a bit more about the background...
    i am ambivalent about dr jung's methods, other thinkers have inspired me more...
    but i digress...
    it seems i was required to take this by the company i was employed by back in the nineties...
    i've totally forgotten what the results were, and if i remember c ...[text shortened]... "tests"...

they are merely sticks with which to muddy the water that we all need to drink...
    I am from the Jung school of psychology. Freud was a fraud, in my opinion, but at least he got people talking.

What Jung did with this 'personality sorting' is to bring psychology down to the level of the everyman, so that people could see (more objectively) how they actually relate to the world around them. Isabel Briggs-Meyers helped to refine the questions that make up the personality test. And they were both INFP, like me.
  2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 15:231 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I am from the Jung school of psychology. Freud was a fraud, in my opinion, but at least he got people talking.

What Jung did with this 'personality sorting' is to bring psychology down to the level of the everyman, so that people could see (more objectively) how they actually relate to the world around them. Isabel Briggs-Meyers helped to refine the questions that make up the personality test. And they were both INFP, like me.
    I enjoyed reading "Love and Will" by the American psychologist Rollo May, published in 1969. I don't remember so much from it anymore, read it many years ago but I really liked his theories at the time.

I don't seem to fit into any of the categories, maybe INTP.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 16:41
    Originally posted by lolof
    I enjoyed reading "Love and Will" by the American psychologist Rollo May, published in 1969. I don't remember so much from it anymore, read it many years ago but I really liked his theories at the time.

I don't seem to fit into any of the categories, maybe INTP.
    Take the test, it's the only way to objectively see what group psychologists would categorize you into. There are many free ones on the internet, just be sure the test is a "Briggs-Meyers" type test and results in placing you into one of the 16 categories.

The categories seem unrelated to some, but it is the interaction between the categories that brings the whole concept into a finer light. There are "introverted" and "extroverted" category delimeters that refine how much you are defined by any particular category. Not every person in the same group functions alike, but this is fairly accurate as to the reasons you react to people and situations the way you do. I'd recommend the test as a starting point for any serious (or even semi-serious) look at oneself.

There's one here at: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Yes, Rollo May was a major proponent of "existentialist psychotherapy". Not my thing, but "to each his own". If you find worth in it, and it helps you, then there's value in it.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 18:122 edits
    Take the test, it's the only way to objectively see what group psychologists would categorize you into. There are many free ones on the internet, just be sure the test is a "Briggs-Meyers" type test and results in placing you into one of the 16 categories.

The categories seem unrelated to some, but it is the interaction between the categories that bring ...[text shortened]... ng, but "to each his own". If you find worth in it, and it helps you, then there's value in it.
    "What is your personality type? [Take the Test!] (Page 2)

What do percentages next to the personality type words or letters mean..." (Page 1)

http://www.humanmetrics.com/hr/you/personalitytype.aspx"

Suzi, is yours the same as this 72 question test link provided on page two?
  5. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 19:39

The categories seem unrelated to some, but it is the interaction between the categories that bring ...[text shortened]... ng, but "to each his own". If you find worth in it, and it helps you, then there's value in it.
    Thank you, I will try the test.

I may not agree with Rollo May's ideas at this stage in life, I have changed quite a lot over the years, but he opened my eyes to many things then.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 19:481 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

What do percentages next to the personality type words or letters mean..." (Page 1)

Suzi, is yours the same as this 72 question test link provided on page two?
    I think maybe it is. I just went to the test page and copied over the link. Mine goes right to the page the test starts on, though.

I already knew which I was, but I took this test here again just to see if it called back the reading I already knew.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 19:54
    Thank you, I will try the test.

I may not agree with Rollo May's ideas at this stage in life, I have changed quite a lot over the years, but he opened my eyes to many things then.
    We're not the same younger as older, to be sure, but I'm still not one to naysay anything that people find useful. I find existentialism to be a far more interesting thing the younger one is, and I find that a bit contrary to its central tenets, but maybe that's just me.

Not that I'm "old" now, you understand. 😛
  8. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 21:28
    We're not the same younger as older, to be sure, but I'm still not one to naysay anything that people find useful. I find existentialism to be a far more interesting thing the younger one is, and I find that a bit contrary to its central tenets, but maybe that's just me.

Not that I'm "old" now, you understand. 😛
    Well, I am old although I don't feel old (we never do, it seems). 🙂
    Rollo May's book made me look at things from a new perspective.
  9. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 21:49

I did the test Humanmetrics Jung Typology Test and my result was INFJ.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 21:581 edit
    INFJ - "The Protector Quietly forceful, original, and sensitive. Tend to stick to things until they are done. Extremely intuitive about people, and concerned for their feelings. Well-developed value systems which they strictly adhere to. Well-respected for their perserverence in doing the right thing. Likely to be individualistic, rather than leading or following." (Page 1)

lolof, that's definitely the 'you' I've come to appreciate and know....
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 22:27
    Last time I took this test I was INFJ, even though I was always INFP before. This test gave me 1% on the J, which is not very conclusive, and told me to look at the P to see which was more like me. I still maintain I am !NFP, but who knows, maybe I'm in a transition period to becoming INFJ.

Since more musicians tend to be INFP than INFJ, this is what leads me to believe I'm really INFP, since I've always been involved in music since I can remember.

Anyways, you're in good company. 😀
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 22:28
    Wikipedia says this about INFJ:

Characteristics of INFJs

INFJs are conscientious and value-driven. They seek meaning in relationships, ideas, and events, with an eye toward better understanding of themselves and others. Using their intuitive skills, they develop a clear and confident vision, which they then set out to execute, aiming to better the lives of others. Like their INTJ counterparts, INFJs regard problems as opportunities to design and implement creative solutions.

INFJs can adapt easily in social situations due to their complex understanding of an individual's motivations; however, they are true introverts. INFJs are private individuals who prefer to exercise their influence behind the scenes. Though they are very independent, INFJs are intensely interested in the well-being of others. INFJs prefer one-on-one relationships to large groups. Sensitive and complex, they are adept at understanding complicated issues and driven to resolve differences in a cooperative and creative manner.

INFJs have a rich, vivid inner life that they may be reluctant to share with those around them. Nevertheless, they are congenial in their interactions and perceptive of the emotions of others. Generally well liked by their peers, they may often be considered close friends and confidants by most other types; however, they are guarded in expressing their own feelings, especially to new people, and tend to establish close relationships slowly. INFJs tend to be easily hurt, though they may not reveal it (except to their closest companions). INFJs may "silently withdraw as a way of setting limits" rather than expressing their wounded feelings—a behavior that may leave others confused and upset.

INFJs tend to be sensitive, quiet leaders with a great depth of personality. They are intricately, deeply woven, mysterious, highly complex, and often puzzling, even to themselves. They have an orderly view toward the world but are internally arranged in a complex way that only they can understand. Abstract in communicating, they live in a world of hidden meanings and possibilities. With a natural affinity for art, INFJs tend to be creative and easily inspired, yet they may also do well in the sciences, aided by their intuition.
    -------------------------------------

Close? 🙂
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 22:412 edits

If this MBTI concept interests you, you might be interested in a similar concept called the Keirsey Temperaments. In fact, there is a 1:1 correlation between the types and temperaments. Keirsey just grouped them differently than Briggs-Myers did.

You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keirsey_Temperament_Sorter
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 22:501 edit
    If this MBTI concept interests you, you might be interested in a similar concept called the Keirsey Temperaments. In fact, there is a 1:1 correlation between the types and temperaments.

You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keirsey_Temperament_Sorter
    Actually, Suzi, I was required to take both Briggs-Meyers and Keirsey Tests by Corporate HR twice during my career
    (once in Boston and then fourteen years later in Houston). I'll take Kiersey again after dinner tonight. Thank you.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 02:101 edit
    Actually, Suzi, I was required to take both Briggs-Meyers and Keirsey Tests by Corporate HR twice during my career
    (once in Boston and then fourteen years later in Houston). I'll take Kiersey again after dinner tonight. Thank you.
    1-71 Multiple Choice Questions with an A or B Answer Option.
    Then, to my surprise, an email address is required:

"Please enter your name as you wish it to appear on your report:

Please enter your email address, which serves as your User ID.

This allows you to return and retrieve your results at any time.
    Using your email address as your ID allows us to email your login
    information if you forget it in the future:

Please enter a password to keep your results secure:"

http://www.keirsey.com/

Opted not to complete the personal detail but did enjoy taking a the test;
    the answer to many questions was a toss up. Thanks, Suzi.

Edit Note: Found this test site link at the bottom of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keirsey_Temperament_Sorter

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree