Sliding Doors

SubscriberFMF
General 24 Mar '16 00:16
  1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '16 00:16
    I suppose any decision or event at any time in your life could have been a "sliding doors" moment - see wiki http://tinyurl.com/gvhk6yz - but are there any moments in particular that formed a watershed moment which determined substantially the course of your life thereafter?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '16 06:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    I suppose any decision or event at any time in your life could have been a "sliding doors" moment - see wiki http://tinyurl.com/gvhk6yz - but are there any moments in particular that formed a watershed moment which determined substantially the course of your life thereafter?
    I don't know why anyone would think it wise to go into detail here.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '16 08:54
    Originally posted by JS357
    I don't know why anyone would think it wise to go into detail here.
    I would never be so presumptuous as to expect people here to be wise on any topic.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Mar '16 14:14
    I haven't seen that film.

I don't think the metaphor meaningful for my life.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    24 Mar '16 14:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    Like a sliding door that is not properly maintained, ones life can become stuck until someone/thing loosens it.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    24 Mar '16 14:281 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    November 5th, 1993. As I remember, it was a dark and stormy night. The ropes were lashed on to the makeshift tarpaulin that my family was using for a ceiling after the collapse of our caravan's roof a few days before. I could hear the blatter of the rain and the relentless whistling wind and the violent flapping of parts of the tarpaulin from my seat at the small table on which we would eat at mealtimes and I would attempt to do my homework every evening after walking the fifteen miles from school. I looked at the electronic alarm clock: 18:59. It was only later that the profound nature of what happened in that minute really struck me, with the force of forked lightning. I even made a note in my diary: "After 18:59 on November 5th 1993, it was never again (and will never be!) 18:59 on November 5th 1993.

Only the good Lord and myself witnessed the momentous signifance of this moment. Nothing remotely like it has ever happened, before or since.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    24 Mar '16 14:40
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    November 5th, 1993. As I remember, it was a dark and stormy night. The ropes were lashed on to the makeshift tarpaulin that my family was using for a ceiling after the collapse of our caravan's roof a few days before. I could hear the blatter of the rain and the relentless whistling wind and the violent flapping of parts of the tarpaulin from my seat ...[text shortened]... omentous signifance of this moment. Nothing remotely like it has ever happened, before or since.
    NEVER, say never.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '16 14:59
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    I haven't seen that film.

I don't think the metaphor meaningful for my life.
    If you are unfamiliar with sliding doors on a London tube train - and therefore the metaphor attendant thereto - perhaps you are one of those characters who goes round and round on the Circle Line day and not with getting on and off?
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '16 15:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    I would never be so presumptuous as to expect people here to be wise on any topic.
    That's wise of you.🙂

Pertaining to the movie, we (the audience) get to see two lives played out in parallel, depending on whether the protagonist catches or misses a train. It's an interesting treatment. In real life, no one gets to see the alternative life, and besides, there is a constant stream of forks in the road. While we are entitled to ponder "If only...", there is no way to know that the actual alternative(s) would have lived up to our wistful dreams.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree