1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 May '22 08:271 edit
    After all the friendly, warm-hearted, well-meaning encouragement from my dear friend Very Rusty, I decided to try and improve my game by joining tourneys to get some variation in play and level.

Just won my first one.
    I might read a chess book next!
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 May '22 09:10
    @divegeester

So congratulations on winning Tournament 42345.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '22 09:14
    @divegeester said
    Write one.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 May '22 09:37
    @divegeester said
    After all the friendly, warm-hearted, well-meaning encouragement from my dear friend Very Rusty, I decided to try and improve my game by joining tourneys to get some variation in play and level.

Just won my first one.
    Congrats!! I really mean that. This is not a minor achievement. Start some tactics training. Get the completive fires burning. You can do this!! πŸ™‚
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    25 May '22 11:53
    @divegeester said

Just won my first one.
    Quite brave of you. Congratulations!
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 May '22 11:541 edit
    @mchill said
    Congrats!! I really mean that. This is not a minor achievement. Start some tactics training. Get the completive fires burning. You can do this!! πŸ™‚
    Thanks, appreciate that.

I am quite a competitive person but only in certain things and in certain ways. For example I will fight in every individual game of chess to win it, but I have never tried to improve my game by reading up or other means. I play for fun and for clan wins that’s it, wether or not I improve hasn’t really mattered.

In clan games if I’m at say 1100 then I just play someone at 1100 rather than someone at 1000, so it makes no real difference. In general terms what would I likely get to if I focused hard and put time in… 1200 maybe? I don’t know how much a person can improve their natural level by practice and effort.

So is all this chess rating just a bit of vanity really?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 May '22 11:57
    @kevin-eleven said
    Quite brave of you. Congratulations!
    I wouldn’t say “brave”, I wasn’t aware of summoning up any courage when I entered the tournament. I did have a slight sense of epiphany I suppose, a sort of “why didn’t I do this before” feeling.

Anyway thank you for your congratulations.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 May '22 12:09
    Congrats.πŸ‘
  9. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    25 May '22 14:46
    @divegeester said

Just won my first one.
    only four behind Suzi πŸ˜†
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 May '22 15:261 edit
    @gertrude said
    only four behind Suzi πŸ˜†
    You would have to take into consideration who the games were won against. That would give you a better idea of the real rating of the person won it. πŸ™‚

EDIT: The gooster gives me for too much credit in giving him incentive. It was more like get up off your butt and do a some studying which would do you much better than what you are doing in here now.

-VR
  11. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    25 May '22 15:41
    @very-rusty said
    You would have to take into consideration who the games were won against. That would give you a better idea of the real rating of the person won it. πŸ™‚

EDIT: The gooster gives me for too much credit in giving him incentive. It was more like get up off your butt and do a some studying which would do you much better than what you are doing in here now.

-VR
    it took the gooster 14 years to nail his first tourny win
    will he live long enough to get a second 😒
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 May '22 15:451 edit
    @gertrude said
    it took the gooster 14 years to nail his first tourny win
    will he live long enough to get a second 😒
    Lemon,

He can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he has played in a lot of tournaments.

If he is actually studying some that is good thing for him and his Clanmates! I would say kudo's to that.

-VR
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 May '22 17:34
    @divegeester

TU from me, Dive. Tournament play has its own dynamic, different to playing one-on-one; it’s good to gain that experience.
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    25 May '22 17:53
    @divegeester said
    I wouldn’t say “brave”, I wasn’t aware of summoning up any courage when I entered the tournament. I did have a slight sense of epiphany I suppose, a sort of “why didn’t I do this before” feeling.

Anyway thank you for your congratulations.
    It takes some sort of courage, I think, and some sense of humour too. πŸ™‚
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 May '22 18:45

Removed by poster

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree