1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 13:06
    Originally posted by lolof
    Pedestrians cross the streets when the traffic lights show red, even in busy traffic, more so in Gothenburg than any other place, I've heard. I'm one of them.
    You're asking to "get smoked".
  2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 13:25
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    You're asking to "get smoked".
    Reading the news, there are seldom accidents with pedestrians but quite a few with cars, trams, buses and cyclists. But I am being careful, I don't take any risks - I just don't always wait for the green light.
  3. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 13:50
    Pedestrians cross the streets when the traffic lights show red, even in busy traffic, more so in Gothenburg than any other place, I've heard. I'm one of them.
    That can be very risky in busy cities.Why risk your life to save a minute or two?Also,it makes it harder to train the young kids to wait for green when the adults are crossing on red.

Don’t do it lolof! Think to your profile quote ‘Our lives are defined by moments, especially the ones we never see coming.’
  4. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 13:53
    Originally posted by biffo konker
    That can be very risky in busy cities.Why risk your life to save a minute or two?Also,it makes it harder to train the young kids to wait for green when the adults are crossing on red.

Don’t do it lolof! Think to your profile quote ‘Our lives are defined by moments, especially the ones we never see coming.’
    You are so right - especially about the kids. It's never too late to change. Thank you. 🙂
  5. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 06:17

Thanks again - the quote is exactly what it's about:

‘Our lives are defined by moments, especially the ones we never see coming.'

You made me think it over.
  6. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 18:36
    Thanks again - the quote is exactly what it's about:

‘Our lives are defined by moments, especially the ones we never see coming.'

You made me think it over.
    Good to hear that.I hope that I did not sound too much like a ‘teacher’.
    🙂
    I used to ignore the red light .A few years ago, a woman with one of those shopping bags on wheels ran across the road on red.She didn’t judge the speed of the traffic very well and was very nearly hit by a car.Unfortunately,the car hit her shopping bag which knocked her down.I don’t think she was badly hurt but she could not stand up and had to lay there waiting for the ambulance.She kept saying ‘I did not see it’.( that is why I quoted your quote). The pictures stayed in my head for quite a long time and since then I wait for the green light.
    At first I felt a little silly waiting for the green light when there was no traffic but then got into the habit and used the time to look around me – at buildings or people or whatever.Amazing what a different view you get if you look upwards at the buildings in cities.
  7. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 20:391 edit
    Good to hear that.I hope that I did not sound too much like a ‘teacher’.
    🙂
    I used to ignore the red light .A few years ago, a woman with one of those shopping bags on wheels ran across the road on red.She didn’t judge the speed of the traffic very well and was ver ...[text shortened]... r whatever.Amazing what a different view you get if you look upwards at the buildings in cities.
    A new perspective
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 00:282 edits
    I was shown a demo in biology class when I was a sophomore in HS. They had this cigarette smoking machine that allowed one to connect a freshly killed cow lung, which was something like the same size as human lungs. So they tied the lung to this machine and stuck in a single cigarette.

The lit the cig and a little pump smoked it down to a nub in maybe 5 minutes. In that time the lung turned totally black and dark goo started dripping out the bottom of the lung.

I vowed right then and there never to smoke tobacco, EVER. Never have either.

I think it should be enforced that kids see that kind of demo. It shocked the hell out me for sure.

I wonder how many people would continue smoking if they knew what their lungs looked like after a cigarette?

My first wife's mom died of emphysema and her husband, Gail's father, continued to smoke and at one point had to get a tracheostomy, the hole in the throat operation.

He wore a little leather patch over the hole like a guy with an eye patch except for his lungs.

So one day I was at his house in Denver, he is smoking (of course) and starts a coughing fit.

The patch flew up and smoke boiled out of his throat in a long streamer with considerable force behind it.

I was aghast. I said, why do you continue to smoke after your wife died from smoking and you just saw what happens when you start coughing.

He said, what for, my wife is dead, I have nothing to live for.

I had no comeback to that.

He died a few months later. Totally due to tobacco.
  9. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 12:25
    Man I love smoking. It's my favourite vegetable.
  10. Standard memberempovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 16:35
    yea, i've lived in huge university areas that have pedestrians running around all the time. crosswalks help a lot!

but at 3am most of the bar-hoppers are off the streets, and students either asleep or crunching away on their textbooks 🙂
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 18:531 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I was shown a demo in biology class when I was a sophomore in HS. They had this cigarette smoking machine that allowed one to connect a freshly killed cow lung, which was something like the same size as human lungs. So they tied the lung to this machine and stuck in a single cigarette.

The lit the cig and a little pump smoked it down to a nub in maybe 5 ...[text shortened]... live for.

I had no comeback to that.

He died a few months later. Totally due to tobacco.
    Utterly convincing demo and powerful anecdotal family evidence.

Opinion: Taking your own life by any method or means (gradually or in a moment of time) is an insult to your family members and, in a real species sense, to the entire human race. There's no valid excuse or justification for presuming to play god in knowing when your life should be ended, until all medical diagnosis and treatment have been exhausted.
  12. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 19:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Utterly convincing demo and powerful anecdotal family evidence.

Opinion: Taking your own life by any method or means (gradually or in a moment of time) is an insult to your family members and, in a real species sense, to the entire human race. There's no valid excuse or justification for presuming to play god in knowing when your life should be ended, until all medical diagnosis and treatment have been exhausted.
    You're not a supporter of Euthanasia then?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 20:00
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    You're not a supporter of Euthanasia then?
    "... life should be ended, until all medical diagnosis and treatment have been exhausted."

It's an individual patient, his/her health proxy and immediate family member's decision in consultation with medical/surgical care providers of record and second opinion; not some board of career bureaucrats in a high rise office in Washington, DC.
  14. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 20:06
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "... life should be ended, until all medical diagnosis and treatment have been exhausted."

It's an individual patient, his/her health proxy and immediate family member's decision in consultation with medical/surgical care providers of record and second opinion; not some board of career bureaucrats in a high rise office in Washington, DC.
    So maybe is your answer?
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 20:25
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    So maybe is your answer?
    If my health deteriorated to the point where hospitalization was required; and diagnosis of my medical condition indicated a near death prognosis (as occurred following my partial paralysis in February, 2011); and I became comatose, the decision as to whether or not to suspend life support would be made by my son, Eric, who has already been named as both Health Proxy and Executor of Will. Euthanasia holds no appeal. The Omniscience of God, Himself, already knows the exact moment when He will take me home to be with face to face with Him. What a colossal and asinine thing it would be for Grampy Bobby to presume to know better than Him. Zamboner, it's an intensely individual decision. It's nobody's business what others do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree