1. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Nov '13 23:172 edits
    Why is Spanish much easier to learn than French or German even though these form the basis of English. Spanish is by far the easiest language that I have attempted to date. Gaelic was the most difficult even more difficult than Urdu and that has an entirely different script.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 01:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Why is Spanish much easier to learn than French or German even though these form the basis of English. Spanish is by far the easiest language that I have attempted to date. Gaelic was the most difficult even more difficult than Urdu and that has an entirely different script.
    1. Spellings are phonetic.
    2. A previous romance language (French) makes the vocabulary easier.

I learned French, Latin, Spanish, Italian in that order.
    (At very basic level I may add ... GCSE "O" levels in French & Spanish,
    failed Latin, self-taught Italian)
    Spanish and Italian are far easier than French.
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 08:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Well, as you know, German in particular has a lot of cases: nominative, accusative, dative, and genitive. Spanish? Not as many, I guess. Also German has odd noun and adjective endings depending on case, etc. And three genders.

I studied Russian on my own over the summer. Six cases: four as in German, plus instrumental and prepositional cases.

I've read that Finnish has a couple dozen cases!
  4. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 09:181 edit
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Well, as you know, German in particular has a lot of cases: nominative, accusative, dative, and genitive. Spanish? Not as many, I guess. Also German has odd noun and adjective endings depending on case, etc. And three genders.

I studied Russian on my own over the summer. Six cases: four as in German, plus instrumental and prepositional cases.

I've read that Finnish has a couple dozen cases!
    15 in Finnish and 22 in Hungarian, I believe.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 11:54
    Originally posted by lolof
    I have 2 cases, one red and one white.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 13:251 edit
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    ok, many thanks to all, i really wondered 😀
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 13:26
    Originally posted by lolof
    that's outrageous!
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 14:17
    I've never tried to learn Italian but i was taught French in school and for me Spanish is easier mostly because of a stronger desire to learn but also because the rules are so much easier to understand. Saying that it does get harder the deeper you go into it but learning the basics is easier in Spanish than it is in English.
  9. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '13 14:24
    Originally posted by Trev33
    I've never tried to learn Italian but i was taught French in school and for me Spanish is easier mostly because of a stronger desire to learn but also because the rules are so much easier to understand. Saying that it does get harder the deeper you go into it but learning the basics is easier in Spanish than it is in English.
    That's how we feel about learning English: few rules, many exceptions and the more you learn, the more difficult it gets.

When I studied German, I kept the same grammar book all the time. Many rules to learn but few exceptions.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 08:20
    In fact German I just picked up 😉

English was quite easy to be started with. French I found more difficult. But with French my attempts at rudimentary Italian and Spanish went well.

Ancient Greek is a language I liked quite well, though I don't really considering that a language, we were never encouraged to "think" in that one, just analyze it.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 10:08
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    In fact German I just picked up 😉
    😲
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 17:11
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    You should get the red one treated.
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 17:35
    jajajajajaja
  14. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 17:45
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    jajajajajaja
    🙂

That's what you say in Swedish when your children are asking you again and again for something and you are getting impatient

jajajajaja!
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 18:58
    RFF!! 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree