1. In your face
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 18:051 edit
    Hi folks. I have entered the Manchester 100 bike ride this year. This takes place on 31 August. I will be pedalling 100Km in order to raise money for The Christie - The Northwest's NHS Foundation Trust for cancer research and treatment. The bike ride is through Cheshire so it is mainly flat.

I last did this event in in 2009 and had to walk the last 5 miles, as my legs just gave in. Hopefully I will finish it on my bike this time.

If you would like to donate to this cause you can do at the link below: -

https://www.justgiving.com/James-Walker22/

Thanks for your help :o)
  2. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 18:17
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Hi folks. I have entered the Manchester 100 bike ride this year. This takes place on 31 August. I will be pedalling 100Km in order to raise money for The Christie - The Northwest's NHS Foundation Trust for cancer research and treatment. The bike ride is through Cheshire so it is mainly flat.

I last did this event in in 2009 and had to walk the la ...[text shortened]... o at the link below: -

That's a lot of pedalling! Good luck.
  3. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 18:51
    A great challenge for a great cause. I ran the Manchester Marathon (my first) three years ago in memory of my Dad who, like my Mum, died of cancer. I also raised money for Christies and wish you all the best. Good luck!
  4. In your face
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 19:03
    Originally posted by neilarini
    A great challenge for a great cause. I ran the Manchester Marathon (my first) three years ago in memory of my Dad who, like my Mum, died of cancer. I also raised money for Christies and wish you all the best. Good luck!
    Wow! Thanks for your generosity. It is challenging but not as hard as a marathon. I'm toying with the idea of doing the three peaks next year (Ben, Scafell and Snowden). That will be a challenge. Or I could take the easy way out and do a guitarothon :o)
  5. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 21:04
    Wow! Thanks for your generosity. It is challenging but not as hard as a marathon. I'm toying with the idea of doing the three peaks next year (Ben, Scafell and Snowden). That will be a challenge. Or I could take the easy way out and do a guitarothon :o)
    I did Scafell Pike this year and I live round the corner from Snowden which I do once a year. Ben Nevis is next on my list but the three peaks isn't anything I'm contemplating soon. According to my maths you'd have to do all three without any sleep and with a chauffeur driven car.
  6. In your face
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 22:58
    Originally posted by neilarini
    I did Scafell Pike this year and I live round the corner from Snowden which I do once a year. Ben Nevis is next on my list but the three peaks isn't anything I'm contemplating soon. According to my maths you'd have to do all three without any sleep and with a chauffeur driven car.
    Mmmm, I think you'd have to sleep in transit. Only way round it.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 23:43

I last did this event in in 2009 and had to walk the la ...[text shortened]... o at the link below: -

I have a question.

100km = 62.5 miles, yes?

What was the best time for this distance in previous rides? (Not your best time, I mean the 1st place finisher's time.)
  8. In your face
    Moves
    10 Jul '14 23:46
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I have a question.

100km = 62.5 miles, yes?

What was the best time for this distance in previous rides? (Not your best time, I mean the 1st place finisher's time.)
    I haven't a clue, they finished in front of me.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 00:051 edit
    I haven't a clue, they finished in front of me.
    I'm just saying that if you're fit and you bike every day, 62.5 miles is not a lot. I used to do 75 miles a day without breaking a sweat (of course, I'm not racing, either). Now, during our local "monsoon season", I average 50 miles maybe, and with a lot of sweat, hehe. I imagine that some people approach this not as a "fun ride" but as a race, and I'm guessing the best time must be close to two hours. Most riders will finish over this time, just wondering if the best time is ever under two hours.

EDIT: I just looked at the official web site for this and it looks like they have a 100km AND a 100mi ride, along with several routes for lesser distances. Overall, this looks like a splendid event for all grades of riders.
  10. In your face
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 23:583 edits
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    08 Sep '14 09:51

How did it go?
  12. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    10 Sep '14 12:34
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm just saying that if you're fit and you bike every day, 62.5 miles is not a lot. I used to do 75 miles a day without breaking a sweat (of course, I'm not racing, either). Now, during our local "monsoon season", I average 50 miles maybe, and with a lot of sweat, hehe. I imagine that some people approach this not as a "fun ride" but as a race, and I'm g ...[text shortened]... outes for lesser distances. Overall, this looks like a splendid event for all grades of riders.
    Only 75 miles.😴 Hardly worth getting the bike out.I cycle more than that before breakfast.After breakfast I cycle to work but this time in 'sprint mode' because it's only about 15 miles.Usually,after work,I try to do 3 or 4 hours on my mountain bike.Of course,I only knock up about 30 or 40 miles on the mountain bike because it is a bit 'hilly' where I live and the tracks are are not that good.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree