1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 19:36
    I’d rather lose than be caught in a stalemate from a strong position and draw; is that normal?
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 19:56
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I’d rather lose than be caught in a stalemate from a strong position and draw; is that normal?
    It is indeed painful to be on the receiving end of a stalemate, especially in a game you believe you are cruising to certain victory in.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 20:01
    Normal. but childish. 😉
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 20:44
    Been caught in two recently but prior to that only one that I remember which hurt. I got careless in these recent games. Gave myself feedback as both games where “in the bag”. Or actually not as it turned out.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 20:50
    Almost. Change "lose" to "lose a hard fought game".
  6. RSA
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 20:521 edit
    For me it's as follows, best to worst:

Winning a lost position
    Winning a drawn position
    Winning a won position
    Being stalemated in a lost position
    Drawing a lost position
    Drawing a drawn position
    Drawing a won position
    Losing a lost position
    Losing a drawn position
    Losing a won position
    Giving stalemate in a won position

I have not given stalemate in a won position for quite a number of years but as I recall it was a horrible feeling. I got into time trouble and stalemated someone with a careless move while playing 3rd board at a match. We ended up drawing the match 4-4 instead of winning 5-3. The rest of the team was pretty unhappy. I felt like such a loser.

This was 8 or 9 years ago now, but I am very careful about stalemating people now.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 20:57
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka

Winning a lost position
    Winning a drawn position
    Winning a won position
    Drawing a lost position
    Drawing a drawn position
    Drawing a won position
    Losing a lost position
    Losing a drawn position
    Losing a won position

I have not ...[text shortened]... a loser.

This was 8 or 9 years ago now, but I am very careful about stalemating people now.
    If I was more careful in my play I’d probably average 50 - 75 points higher. I try but sometimes there are distractions.
  8. RSA
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 21:151 edit
    If I was more careful in my play I’d probably average 50 - 75 points higher. I try but sometimes there are distractions.
    I can play quite accurately and find some nice ideas if I put in the time to calculate properly. Not that this happens most of the time - like if I move when tired, irritable, in a rush or when I'm just not bothered to check my first intuition.

http://www.chesspersonality.com/

I got assassin. Apparently I am:

Attacking rather than positional
    Aggressive rather than solid
    Calculating rather than intuitive
    Emotional as opposed to calm.

I love playing hyperbullet (1 minute on the clock) and other low time settings on lichess, which often does not end well. If I play a bad game I will probably have to try again. I usually play badly when tired - I cannot function properly without sleep. I then get into a losing streak which makes me upset. I can get quite angry if I blunder a won position. Redhotpawn does not allow losing streaks of the same type (or winning streaks for that matter) since you play multiple games at once over a long period reducing that chance that you will blunder everything on a bad day.
  9. RSA
    Moves
    06 Feb '18 21:17
    https://lichess.org/@/Kurushimi

If anyone wants a live game at some point.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 17:04
    In fact it sounds a bit masochistic...I would rather take the half point than none at all.
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    07 Feb '18 17:18
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    In fact it sounds a bit masochistic...I would rather take the half point than none at all.
    I would be happy for a stalemate of course if I was losing, annoyed with myself if I had a sure win had it not been for my forgetting the knights...
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 00:46

Winning a lost position
    Winning a drawn position
    Winning a won position
    Drawing a lost position
    Drawing a drawn position
    Drawing a won position
    Losing a lost position
    Losing a drawn position
    Losing a won position

I have not ...[text shortened]... a loser.

Switch around the bottom two... losing a won position is worse. The stalemate could be earned with good opponent play but at least you get some points. Or not lose as many...
  13. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 02:02
    depends on the importance of the game
    if the half point means a clan victory then just laugh it off
    if it's a meaningless game then it should ruin your day

gertrude
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 03:37
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Normal. but childish. 😉
    You just described every war general ever.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Mar '18 08:05
    I can play quite accurately and find some nice ideas if I put in the time to calculate properly. Not that this happens most of the time - like if I move when tired, irritable, in a rush or when I'm just not bothered to check my first intuition.

http://www.chesspersonality.com/

I got assassin. Apparently I am:

Attacking rather than positional
    Ag ...[text shortened]... s at once over a long period reducing that chance that you will blunder everything on a bad day.
    I got this from chesspersonality.com:

Mastermind
    Masterminds seek to master both their own emotions and to impose their reality on the chessboard. A Mastermind always seeks the right move, and believes that attacking is the right way. Typically choosing sharp openings, Masterminds win with fantastically deep calculations, producing combinations which are deeply hidden in correctly built-up positions. Masterminds thrive in complicated positions, where their accurate calculating ability and iron nerves give them the advantage.

I totally laughed out loud to this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree