1. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 00:16
    I enjoy working out with weights at a local gym, but admit that I've been going less in the past couple of months, and I can feel the difference. I've also neglected the cardio a bit as well. My job keeps me active, but not the same benefits as regularly working out.

Sooooo, I am committing myself to getting back on track and being my own motivator.

Anyone else feel like sharing their struggles (if any), with staying in shape?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 00:491 edit
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    I enjoy working out with weights at a local gym, but admit that I've been going less in the past couple of months, and I can feel the difference. I've also neglected the cardio a bit as well. My job keeps me active, but not the same benefits as regularly working out.

Sooooo, I am committing myself to getting back on track and being my own motivator.

For more than just staying in shape reasons I do 2.5 hours of supervised 1 on 1 physical fitness training each week, in two 1 hour sessions and one half hour session. Actually my wife joins me for the one hour sessionss which she needs for medical reasons too. The one on one training is needed for two reasons - motivational, and because she is certified, she can design our training to suit our condition and objectives. We have been at it for 9 years.

I suggest you find such a person, develop a program, and do it with supervision for three months and assess what you need to do from there. Be sure to get a certified trainer if available, and check references.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 00:58
    Originally posted by @js357
    For more than just staying in shape reasons I do 2.5 hours of supervised 1 on 1 physical fitness training each week, in two 1 hour and one half hour session. Actually my wife joins me for the one hour session which she needs for medical reasons too. The one on one training is needed for two reasons - motivational, and because she is certified, she can design ...[text shortened]... ou need to do from there. Be sure to get a certified trainer if available, and check references.
    Great discipline on your part!!
    I appreciate the advice, and will keep that in mind.

Desire to stay fit, and the discipline to do it, are huge, not only for physical reasons, but for self esteem as well.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 01:53

Desire to stay fit, and the discipline to do it, are huge, not only for physical reasons, but for self esteem as well.
    Yes. It's kind of like AA in reverse. You are gaining the ability to do something that's good for you, instead of gaining the ability not to do something that is bad for you.
  5. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 06:412 edits
    I have gone through long periods of being a regular gym goer (three times a week, a one-hour aerobics class followed by an hour-long weights session), interspersed with (long) periods of not doing that. My longest period of regularly doing this was from age 16 to 27 (I started doing the aerobics at 21).

My latest period of regular gym-going started about a year ago, but about 16 weeks ago, without doing anything at all memorable to it, I got bursitis in my left knee, and a Baker's cyst. It might just be Nature's way of letting me know that I couldn't exercise like I was 20 now that I am 52, which is close to what I was trying to do. The bursitis is slowly getting better, but I am a long way off doing any aerobics or weights on the leg as I cannot run or lift my knee too high repeatedly. What a bummer!
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 06:55

Good physical health (and being active) is indeed beneficial for our mental health as well.

I prefer to incorporate exercise into my daily life, rather than having a specified exercise session. (I find it difficult to motivate myself to do such exercise routinely, often getting distracted by procrastination). I do a lot of brisk walking and finding DIY jobs to do around the house.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 22:04
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Good physical health (and being active) is indeed beneficial for our mental health as well.

I prefer to incorporate exercise into my daily life, rather than having a specified exercise session. (I find it difficult to motivate myself to do such exercise routinely, often getting distracted by procrastination). I do a lot of brisk walking and finding DIY jobs to do around the house.
    I thought the Ghost was "well armed"?
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 06:26
    I thought the Ghost was "well armed"?
    Younger days were dedicated to gaining muscle, now it's just about maintaining it.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 22:45
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Younger days were dedicated to gaining muscle, now it's just about maintaining it.
    I agree 100%.

However, even maintenance requires dedication and discipline, as well as the desire.

I once read a book titled "Body for Life", which places emphasis on having a mindset to remain physically active and healthy "for life", and not just to lose a few pounds here and there, or just to fit into a tux for a wedding, then resume a generally inactive lifestyle.

Anyway, it's good for me to speak of this subject, it helps to motivate the mind and body.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 23:11
    Originally posted by @ptobler
    I have gone through long periods of being a regular gym goer (three times a week, a one-hour aerobics class followed by an hour-long weights session), interspersed with (long) periods of not doing that. My longest period of regularly doing this was from age 16 to 27 (I started doing the aerobics at 21).

My latest period of regular gym-going started abou ...[text shortened]... robics or weights on the leg as I cannot run or lift my knee too high repeatedly. What a bummer!
    Bummer indeed.

The gym that I go to has a big picture that you see upon entering: it's of a guy in his sixties, completly ripped and in great shape. The caption at the bottom reads: "growing old isn't for sissies"!!

A motivator like no other, lol.

A reminder that working out is for all ages.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '18 00:51

Ok, so I just returned from the gym and had a great workout.

Do more of you have some thoughts on staying in shape? Or are you not participating because you just don't like me?

What's the deal? 😉
  12. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Jun '18 06:41
    Ok, so I just returned from the gym and had a great workout.

Do more of you have some thoughts on staying in shape? Or are you not participating because you just don't like me?

What's the deal? 😉
    The deal? I am cycling to work each day since decades so I have a daily workout.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree