Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
General Forum

General Forum

  1. 07 Dec '17 14:37
    Originally posted by @torunn
    'Going out with somebody for two years' is an expression that can't be translated direct into Swedish - that's why I tried to be funny.
    The English language can be a sticky one indeed but you seem to have done very well in it.
  2. 07 Dec '17 14:57
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    The English language can be a sticky one indeed but you seem to have done very well in it.
    Thanks to this forum, I can practise English every day.
  3. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    08 Dec '17 00:10
    I stick to the basics.
  4. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    08 Dec '17 01:39
    Originally posted by @torunn
    'Going out with somebody for two years' is an expression that can't be translated direct into Swedish - that's why I tried to be funny.
    Well you are doing very well it being your second language you are better at it than I am. Of course I speak some french too. Stick to it!!!
  5. 08 Dec '17 02:16
    Originally posted by @torunn
    Thanks to this forum, I can practise English every day.
    English is a silly language.

    I live in Ireland and sometimes go and see live music.

    Sorry my hearing isn't very good, did you say that you have an important hearing tomorrow?

    Silly
  6. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    08 Dec '17 07:11
    Originally posted by @trev33
    English is a silly language.

    I live in Ireland and sometimes go and see live music.

    Sorry my hearing isn't very good, did you say that you have an important hearing tomorrow?

    Silly
    yeah, true but those are the only confusing words in the English language.there aren't any other words that are spelled alike and sound differently or different words that have the same meaning. the language is absolutely clear and straightforward, except for those two examples.
  7. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    08 Dec '17 10:23
    Originally posted by @coquette
    yeah, true but those are the only confusing words in the English language.there aren't any other words that are spelled alike and sound differently or different words that have the same meaning. the language is absolutely clear and straightforward, except for those two examples.
    Stick to your story, don't let anyone sway your opinion.
  8. 08 Dec '17 13:20
    Originally posted by @coquette
    yeah, true but those are the only confusing words in the English language.there aren't any other words that are spelled alike and sound differently or different words that have the same meaning. the language is absolutely clear and straightforward, except for those two examples.
    sure it is...

    I don't know which part of the land we should land on the pilot said to coquette as the plane plummeted to the ground.

    Their, there. Two, to, too,

    plan - planned
    want - wanted
    damage - damaged
    make - maked? no, wait... made

    Do you want more?
  9. 08 Dec '17 14:21
    Originally posted by @trev33
    sure it is...

    I don't know which part of the land we should land on the pilot said to coquette as the plane plummeted to the ground.

    Their, there. Two, to, too,

    plan - planned
    want - wanted
    damage - damaged
    make - maked? no, wait... made

    Do you want more?
    I sa wi shud spell phonetically and stik with that.
  10. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    08 Dec '17 18:03
    Originally posted by @trev33
    sure it is...

    I don't know which part of the land we should land on the pilot said to coquette as the plane plummeted to the ground.

    Their, there. Two, to, too,

    plan - planned
    want - wanted
    damage - damaged
    make - maked? no, wait... made

    Do you want more?
    Oh, no need. It's obvious that nothing slips past you.
  11. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    08 Dec '17 18:22
    Originally posted by @trev33

    make - maked? no, wait... made

    Do you want more?
    LOL....Yes, and not to be confused with maid.....Sticky situation spelling is.
  12. 08 Dec '17 18:51
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    LOL....Yes, and not to be confused with maid.....Sticky situation spelling is.
    Silly language!
  13. Subscriber coquette
    Already mated
    09 Dec '17 07:38
    Originally posted by @trev33
    Silly language!
    Okay, enough silliness. Let's get back to stickiness.
  14. 09 Dec '17 09:42 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @coquette
    Okay, enough silliness. Let's get back to stickiness.
    I'm not sure I like stickiness - is there room for independence?
  15. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    09 Dec '17 14:53
    Originally posted by @torunn
    I'm not sure I like stickiness - is there room for independence?
    One can stick to what ever they want...It would be a very boring world if we all were the same.