1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    05 Aug '17 21:43
    I live with a bunch of strong-willed intelligent and opinionated people. Discussions wander over the map and sometimes try to burrow deep. So yeah, loud and unproductive sometimes. Contra-purpose.

So I am insisting on a talking stick. Should I insist on a time limit, or do you think people can be trusted to express their idea and then pass the stick?
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 00:43
    Our parliament imposes a strict 3 minute time limit on every speaker, unless there's been a vote approving a one-off extension because everyone wants to hear the rest. Might be easier to enforce!
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 02:26
    Originally posted by @apathist
    I live with a bunch of strong-willed intelligent and opinionated people. Discussions wander over the map and sometimes try to burrow deep. So yeah, loud and unproductive sometimes. Contra-purpose.

So I am insisting on a talking stick. Should I insist on a time limit, or do you think people can be trusted to express their idea and then pass the stick?
    Wait. I need more information. What kinds of blows is one allowed to land with the stick, and to which parts of the strong-willed intelligent and opinionated people's bodies?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 03:031 edit
    Originally posted by @apathist

Is a talking stick a bit like a conch shell in this scenario?
  5. Standard memberBongalloJoe
    Not Gone Yet
    STALKER ALERT!!
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 04:15
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    i think so.
    Reminds me of Lord of the Flies.
  6. Standard memberBongalloJoe
    Not Gone Yet
    STALKER ALERT!!
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 04:19
    5 Years ago when our family still lived in Detroit, we had something like this. I only remember it vaguely, and it did not go well. Of course, the oldest was 12 and we were all kids. We just fought over the red spoon, our 'talking stick'.
    Now we use the red spoon for disciplinary purposes.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 04:23
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    No, I'm wondering if it's more like a hair brush. But you'd need a mirror.
  8. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    06 Aug '17 20:56
    Originally posted by @fmf
    No, I'm wondering if it's more like a hair brush. But you'd need a mirror.
    And hair
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Aug '17 11:28
    Well, the method I know of the token is given around in the circle, so each Person gets an equal number of chances to talk. If they don't want to add, they just give it up to the next Person (and they do).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree