Testing Sterling Silver

Testing Sterling Silver

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n

Moves
08 Dec 18
1 edit

There are many ways to test sterling silver rings for authenticity but the sound test isn't working for this one ring I have. Is it possible that some ring designs won't "ring" when flicked in the air or bounced off a table? Mine is a band with a braided design around the band. I bought it from a reputable dealer and I don't want to do the scratch/acid test. I'm just wondering if some ring designs won't have a sound due to the design? If I take it to a dealer they will insist on using the scratch/acid test which essentially damages the ring. The magnet test is useless...since 800 metals don't stick to magnets says the internet. Any help?

Read a book!

Moves
08 Dec 18

@nomorechess said
There are many ways to test sterling silver rings for authenticity but the sound test isn't working for this one ring I have. Is it possible that some ring designs won't "ring" when flicked in the air or bounced off a table? Mine is a band with a braided design around the band. I bought it from a reputable dealer and I don't want to do the scratch/acid test. I'm just wond ...[text shortened]... g. The magnet test is useless...since 800 metals don't stick to magnets says the internet. Any help?
If you bought the ring from a reputable dealer, why do you doubt its authenticity?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 Dec 18

@nomorechess
Check the hallmark against online versions.
Forging hallmarks is a pretty serious business
and prpbably not worth it for small items.

n

Moves
08 Dec 18

n

Moves
08 Dec 18

I'll look into that, thanks

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
08 Dec 18

@handyandy said
If you bought the ring from a reputable dealer, why do you doubt its authenticity?
You can NOT trust ANYONE if there is a dollar to be made!

-VR

n

Moves
08 Dec 18

One jewelry store said it's real and another said it is not real. 😞

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
09 Dec 18

@nomorechess
You can do the classical Archimedes. Weigh your ring and determine the volume (e.g. by putting it into a brimful vessel and cathing the overflow. Now determine the density. Silver should have 10.5 g/cm3

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
09 Dec 18

@ponderable said
@nomorechess
You can do the classical Archimedes. Weigh your ring and determine the volume (e.g. by putting it into a brimful vessel and cathing the overflow. Now determine the density. Silver should have 10.5 g/cm3
Couldn't a lead alloy be made to that density?

Moves
09 Dec 18
3 edits

@wolfgang59 said
Couldn't a lead alloy be made to that density?
Sterling silver is typically 7.5 percent copper and 92.5 percent silver. The density calculations for sterling silver that I’ve seen assume that the volume contributions in the alloy are simply additive. This is not a given, for example mixing 50 cc of water with 50 cc of ethanol yields about 95 cc of liquid. Throw a little lead into the melt and who knows the effect? Bronze alloys (largely copper) vary greatly in density depending on the choice of alloy element. Even assuming that the volume displacement could be accurately measured, the actual density would be dependent on this ‘mixing factor’, which is not taken into account in the individual metal density-based prediction. Of course too much lead could alter the physical properties like malleability, having a noticeable effect. Plating could cover this, but that’s a lot of trouble to go to for a ring. These days, silver is <50 cents/gram USD.

n

Moves
10 Dec 18
1 edit

Way too complicated guys...I was just wondering if some ring designs won't have that classic ringing sound when struck or dropped due to the design as opposed to a plain silver band which does make the ringing sound much like a silver coin. I did the ice cube test...the magnet test...the make up test and they all passed making me think it is sterling and one jewelry store said it was real BUT it does not ring when dropped or struck and it failed the acid test. The dealer who did the acid test said it may be silver just not 92.5 sterling which his acid is designed for. So...all I asked is can certain ring designs fail to ring when dropped or struck because of the design? I'm still not sure if it is real because some tests say yes and some say no. It's maddening because I collect silver and it would disgust me if a fake made it's way into my pile. Thanks for the help though.

Moves
10 Dec 18

@nomorechess said
Way too complicated guys...I was just wondering if some ring designs won't have that classic ringing sound when struck or dropped due to the design as opposed to a plain silver band which does make the ringing sound much like a silver coin. I did the ice cube test...the magnet test...the make up test and they all passed making me think it is sterling and one jewelry store ...[text shortened]... ect silver and it would disgust me if a fake made it's way into my pile. Thanks for the help though.
Well IMO it comes down to whether it is valued more for its design/provenance or for its melt value, doesn’t it?

n

Moves
10 Dec 18

I collect silver...I don't care what it looks like I just want it to be real.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
10 Dec 18

@nomorechess

In fact the sound will be dependend on the material, just not very much. And the sound will depend more on the form...just try to hit a pipe and and a rod with the same weight from the same material.

n

Moves
10 Dec 18

You're right on the form. Each piece sounds slightly different due to the form/shape and that's what I am hoping for. I hope the design of this ring is preventing the usual ringing sound.