Thailand cave rescue

Thailand cave rescue

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australia

Moves
11 Jul 18
1 edit

In Australia, almost everyone has been glued to the news reports for many days. Yet in this forum, which I thought was fairly representative of English speakers, not even one mention can I find.

Why is this so?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Jul 18

Originally posted by @kewpie
In Australia, almost everyone has been glued to the news reports for many days. Yet in this forum, which I thought was fairly representative of English speakers, not even one mention can I find.

Why is this so?
Maybe nobody, including yourself apparently, has anything to say about it?

Loco Wahine

Hawaii

Moves
11 Jul 18

It's a miracle they were all finally SAVED!! On social media I saw the shocking diagram of the two miles underwater they had to get through to get out and narrow passages, and then the video showing the last one being brought out and the breathing contraption he was in. What an incredible amazing rescue! Maybe no one mentioned it on here, but it was certainly avidly watched discussed by me and my friends here. Many prayers were sent. 🙂

Read a book!

Moves
11 Jul 18

Why is this so?
It was a miraculous rescue and a tribute to international teamwork.

As for posting, sometimes it just takes someone to make the first move.

Moves
11 Jul 18

Why is this so?
I followed it daily, having almost drowned once in the roots of a banyan tree that extended out on a lake,.but I was not motivated by any of my thoughts to speak out about the situation there in Thailand. In retrospect, I recollect wondering whether the flood potential came as a surprise, but I heard no reports on that. Maybe the Thais aren't into the blame game? A google search on three words -- thai cave blame -- has as the first 3 hits, reports on blame NOT being assessed against the coach or anyone.

What quantity and kind of comments were made by Aussies on your non-rhp social media?

Australia

Moves
11 Jul 18
5 edits

Originally posted by @js357
I followed it daily, having almost drowned once in the roots of a banyan tree that extended out on a lake,.but I was not motivated by any of my thoughts to speak out about the situation there in Thailand. In retrospect, I recollect wondering whether the flood potential came as a surprise, but I heard no reports on that. Maybe the Thais aren't into the blame g ...[text shortened]... nyone.

What quantity and kind of comments were made by Aussies on your non-rhp social media?
I have no idea about social media, but mainstream reporting - including many Twitter quotes - has been a mixture of hope and fear. And now, wild celebration of the successful outcome. I haven't seen any mention of blame anywhere, and having been exposed to the sudden torrential nature of tropical rainstorms I would not have expected to. My observation of Buddhism suggests that blame is not part of their way of thinking. I haven't said anything until now because of a superstitious fear that "if I say anything and it all goes bad I'll feel I changed the outcome". Do others have this notion?

{multiple edits because I'm not used to tiny keyboards.}

Moves
11 Jul 18

I have no idea about social media, but mainstream reporting - including many Twitter quotes - has been a mixture of hope and fear. I haven't seen any mention of blame anywhere, and having been exposed to the sudden torrential nature of tropical rainstorms I would not have expected to. I have refrained from comment until now because of a superstitious fear t ...[text shortened]... say anything and it all goes bad I'll feel I changed the outcome". Do others have this notion?
I had no such superstitious fears but it had to be a very understandable fear for the decision makers, and I could project my fear onto them.

I hear that blame and guilt are part of Western morality. Shame and face are more Eastern.

gc

Moves
11 Jul 18
1 edit

Conspiracy theorists ,why are they carrying the boys out on stretchers ,with their whole body covered and not letting their families see them?...

Gothenburg

Moves
11 Jul 18

Originally posted by @gareth-cobb
Conspiracy theorists ,why are they carrying the boys out on stretchers ,with their whole body covered and not letting their families see them?...
I just followed the news, felt pretty certain they would be out soon and safe.

Australia

Moves
11 Jul 18

I was not as confident as you. I remember the Beaconsfield mine cave-in in Australia some years ago where the survivors were safe and it was just a matter of finding a way in to where they were. This one started off with rescuers having no idea where they were, and then when they were found it was a race against the arrival of the monsoon rains, so a happy result was not a given until the last person was out. Even then, one person has died and there's no guarantee yet that all the boys will be OK in the long term.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Jul 18

A miraculous rescue. Glad they got them all out before the monsoon.

Gothenburg

Moves
11 Jul 18

I just felt confident they would be rescued. No rational reason, just a feeling.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Jul 18

Originally posted by @torunn
I just felt confident they would be rescued. No rational reason, just a feeling.
Do you have the same feeling about an England victory tonight?

Gothenburg

Moves
11 Jul 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Do you have the same feeling about an England victory tonight?
I think I dare say, yes! And I hope they will.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Jul 18

Originally posted by @torunn
I think I dare say, yes! And I hope they will.
My heart says yes, my brain says '"Arghhhh!"