Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
General Forum

General Forum

  1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Dec '17 08:15
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    The best & worst of 2017 thread
    Music.

    A band I like called Phish played a 13 show run at the MSG in NY, 3 or so hours a night, without repeating a song; and they were playing as well as they ever have. That was one of the best things about 2017.

    Worst: I was very sorry to see these people pass away ~ Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Tom Petty, Gregg Allman, Maggie Roche, John Wetton, Al Jarreau, and Walter Becker, all of whom were important to me at various times in my life.
    Tom Petty
  2. 30 Dec '17 10:33 / 2 edits
    Oh, what a year! There were a some very stressful work and family events but it has all turned
    out OK with a happy Christmas and good things ahead for the New Year.
  3. 30 Dec '17 12:02
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I wanted to ask you: Who is that in your new avatar?
    I’ve changed it yesterday but based on the time of your post I think you are referring to my current avatar which is a photo of a character called Exeter (played by Jeff Morrow) from the1952 SiFi movie This Island Earth, which I also have in my profile. My referencing the movie is a slightly provocative and certainly very tongue in cheek metaphor for the socio/political flavour of the UK, where I live. As is my use of the Shakespeare quote
  4. 30 Dec '17 14:29
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I’ve changed it yesterday but based on the time of your post I think you are referring to my current avatar which is a photo of a character called Exeter (played by Jeff Morrow) from the1952 SiFi movie This Island Earth, which I also have in my profile. My referencing the movie is a slightly provocative and certainly very tongue in cheek metaphor for the socio/political flavour of the UK, where I live. As is my use of the Shakespeare quote
    You sure are a man of many "deep" interests unlike me, who is quite shallow.
  5. Subscriber Very Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    30 Dec '17 14:38
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    You sure are a man of many "deep" interests unlike me, who is quite shallow.
    Hey, that is ok I am quite shallow too!
  6. 30 Dec '17 15:26
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    Hey, that is ok I am quite shallow too!
    Not as shallow as I am!
  7. 30 Dec '17 15:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    Not as shallow as I am!
    The opposite of run silent, run deep, run here on RHP forums.
  8. 30 Dec '17 17:40
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    I feel like we are riding in the dark with no headlights and a maniac at the wheel. Where did we go wrong?
    Moving to North Korea
  9. Subscriber vanderveldeonline
    medieval punk rocker
    31 Dec '17 14:48
    Worst threads - mine, the best - Ponderable's.
  10. 31 Dec '17 15:25
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    Worst threads - mine, the best - Ponderable's.
    If it makes you feel any better, that was your best post of 2017, possibly ever
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Jan '18 00:49
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Worst: I was very sorry to see these people pass away ~ Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Tom Petty, Gregg Allman, Maggie Roche, John Wetton, Al Jarreau, and Walter Becker, all of whom were important to me at various times in my life.
    Tom Petty
    Guitarist John Abercrombie too.
  12. 02 Jan '18 00:47
    My avatar, Rocky, appears to have either dislocated or broken his hind leg. The New Year has meant a 2 day delay in getting him checked over by a vet. :’- (