1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '14 11:30
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"... the best game in town."

One of my early chess mentors was Emil M. Reubens of the Boylston Chess Club in Boston. At his home late one Friday evening after our games were finished, I said to him: "Chess is the greatest game. Luck isn't involved and the games are never quite the same." E.M. smiled as he quietly said: "Not quite, Bobby. It's ...[text shortened]... you. http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot.com/2008/06/reubens-landey-u2200-bcc-championship.html[/b]
    Wow, since Emil died in 1973 you must have been pretty young to have had him as a mentor. I was only 32 back then, you were in your 20's. How long was he your mentor, when did you meet him? He sounds like a great man, wish I had had someone like him as mentor. I had nobody, so didn't get very far up the ladder.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Oct '14 19:35
    robbie and sonhouse, NFL Weekend off. Be back Monday to reply. Thanks for your thoughtful comments and questions.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '14 11:532 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Wow, since Emil died in 1973 you must have been pretty young to have had him as a mentor. I was only 32 back then, you were in your 20's. How long was he your mentor, when did you meet him? He sounds like a great man, wish I had had someone like him as mentor. I had nobody, so didn't get very far up the ladder.
    One of my kind paternal uncles, Len who worked at MIT in Cambridge across the Charles River from Boston, began teaching me the basics of chess at a family gathering when I was nine. We continued to play during occasional visits to their home until my early teens (when sports, cars, body building, school and dating girls temporarily displaced chess as a priority).

E.M. and I met in the Spring of 1968 during my twenties. Fortunately, an immediate rapport between the classic ignorance and curiosity of youth and the experience and wisdom of age developed. Our friendship gradually evolved into mentorship at the Sharon Chess Club, about a half hour's drive away from our home, as he realized just how eager I was to learn to play the game well. So on Monday nights for the next four years I was privileged to lose approximately one thousand games to him, Ben Landey, Edmund Brown, Tigran Shaack and Kermit Pransky. These were well traveled, successful men whom E.M. Reubens considered as being among his closest and most trusted friends. Now and then we also met on Friday nights at one of their homes with homemade refreshments served. By 1972 a few games would end in a draw or a win for me, though none of my opponents would acknowledge the winning position. What they said instead was "Let's play a new one." I guess to keep me hungry. January, 1973, relocation to Chicago with Colgate Palmolive occurred. Part two to follow in a few days.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '14 17:531 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    This is fine GB, the mans humanity is awesome and truly admirable, but these emotions are merely reactions to the permutations of the chess board, like looking at a Kaleidoscope and feeling some sense of wonderment at the pretty patterns. Will it teach us humility, empathy? honour and dignity? I used to think so but now I realise that these are simply ...[text shortened]... nd virtuous, but I think its full of egotism and jealousy and is no more nutritious than a mars bar.
    "Emil Reubens was 86 years old when he died, an extraordinary man who believed that mankind could become rehabilitated through Chess. Chess is more than life and can change a person to benefit Society." (OP)

Though I enjoyed seeing the inside of a prison and meeting a number of inmates over the chess board and was well aware of E.M.'s claims, the tangible achievement of his rehabilitation goals was never apparent to me except in the news media.
    "... that mankind could become rehabilitated through Chess." strikes me as a grandiose wish and an inordinate expectation.

"This is fine GB, the mans humanity is awesome and truly admirable, but these emotions are merely reactions to the permutations of the chess board, like looking at a Kaleidoscope and feeling some sense of wonderment at the pretty patterns. Will it teach us humility, empathy? honour and dignity? I used to think so but now I realise that these are simply ideals we wish to imbue it with, reflections of ourselves. If it was able to rehabilitate, chess players would be all of these things, but they are not, they talk of crushing and wiping and blowing others away, of ripping their heads off (Nigel Short in regard to his match with Kasparov) etc etc Id love to think it was able to make us noble and virtuous, but I think its full of egotism and jealousy and is no more nutritious than a mars bar."

robbie, in my view reflections on the game of chess are a uniquely personal matter. To some it's a pleasant pastime and nothing more. To others it's a competitive event tantamount to a miniaturized version of war. To a others it's a professional vocation; and the sole means of tournament and simultaneous events and/or teaching income to a few. To Emil Reubens chess was all of these things and more. His mentorship was certainly an indelibly humbling experience for yours truly.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '14 18:17
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    "... the best game in town."

One of my early chess mentors was Emil M. Reubens of the Boylston Chess Club in Boston. At his home late one Friday evening after our games were finished, I said to him: "Chess is the greatest game. Luck isn't involved and the games are never quite the same." E.M. smiled as he quietly said: "Not quite, Bobby. It's the second best. The talking game is the best game in town." Chess moves may be the life blood but daily public forum conversation is the heart beat of Red Hot Pawn.

Part of the genius in the format design and ongoing enhancement of this online correspondence chess site is stated by Russ at the top of the public forum menu: "The forums are the core of the 'Red Hot Pawn' community. Feel free to just read, but please consider posting a comment. Most posts will develop into a conversation [called a 'thread'], so be sure to check back and follow up on any of your earlier posts." How about a few things you appreciate here, then I'll continue with two more. Thank you. http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot.com/2008/06/reubens-landey-u2200-bcc-championship.html

Note: This thread was never intended to be about chess per se nor my mentorship by Emil Reubens. As stated in the OP,
    its intended focus is RHP: "How about a few things you appreciate here, then I'll continue with two more. Thank you."
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    06 Oct '14 20:00
    Eventually he moved to Boston and graduated from Boston University in 1922 with a degree in business administration. ... [my own alma mater]
    Bob, maybe you saw Prof. Isaac Asimov at that university? He was active there in the 1950s and 1960s. He may not have strayed far from the school of medicine, though.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Oct '14 20:39
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Bob, maybe you saw Prof. Isaac Asimov at that university? He was active there in the 1950s and 1960s. He may not have strayed far from the school of medicine, though.
    "... Reubens received his formal education at the University of Prague. In 1906 he immigrated to the United States and worked for a time in steel mills in Detroit. Eventually he moved to Boston and graduated from Boston University in 1922 with a degree in business administration. Much later, in June of 1973 he received his Master's degree in business administration, he was the oldest person in the university's history to obtain such a degree at 86. [my own alma mater]" (Page 1)
    http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot.com/2008/06/reubens-landey-u2200-bcc-championship.html

Hi, Paul. Pleased that you've inadvertently raised the question of at which university did E.M. earn "his Master's degree in business administration" in "June of 1973". Though Boston University is implied, the implication is incorrect. Emil earned it at Northeastern University in Boston "[my own alma mater]". I've read articles over the years by Isaac Asimov with interest.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 13:351 edit
    "Emil Reubens was 86 years old when he died, an extraordinary man who believed that mankind could become rehabilitated through Chess. Chess is more than life and can change a person to benefit Society." (OP)

Though I enjoyed seeing the inside of a prison and meeting a number of inmates over the chess board and was well aware of E.M.'s claims, the tan ...[text shortened]... things and more. His mentorship was certainly an indelibly humbling experience for yours truly.
    its quite interesting GB and I suspect that you are absolutely correct in the evaluation that chess is 'a uniquely personal matter', for what are these traits whether positive or negative but a reflection of self. If one feels angered over a defeat (i have had many people calling me all kinds of things during blitz, mutha this and mutha that etc ) is it not a reflection of our lack of humility rather than any meagre prowess that someone else possesses? Our unwillingness to view ones opponent as a friend conducive to learning?When we make a mistake and become angry with ourselves, a lack of realisation that we are human and prone to error? Yes these are truly reflections and valuable for sure.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 17:49
    If one feels angered over a defeat (i have had many people calling me all kinds of things during blitz, mutha this and mutha that etc ) is it not a reflection of our lack of humility rather than any meagre prowess that someone else possesses?
    It has nothing to do with chess or humility. They just don't like you.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 18:07
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    It has nothing to do with chess or humility. They just don't like you.
    Oh Andy Andy, what ails you? does it seem rational to you that someone from another country who has never spoken to me personally should start to cuss me during a game of blitz and call me many disparaging names in the chat box? In what sense do they know me so as to dislike me?

What has happened to your theory Andy in the face of such logic? Is it not smouldering upon the forum floor, a crumpled heap, a mere wreckage and a semblance of the once proud ship that it was? Oh Andy, when will you learn not to mess with the man?
  11. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 18:15
    Oh Andy Andy, what ails you? does it seem rational to you that someone from another country who has never spoken to me personally should start to cuss me during a game of blitz and call me many disparaging names in the chat box? In what sense do they know me so as to dislike me?

What has happened to your theory Andy in the face of such logic? ...[text shortened]... ance of the once proud ship that it was? Oh Andy, when will you learn not to mess with the man?
    Nevertheless, they still don't like you.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 18:28
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Nevertheless, they still don't like you.
    If they were winning at chess, they would like me just fine.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '14 17:23
    One of my kind paternal uncles, Len who worked at MIT in Cambridge across the Charles River from Boston, began teaching me the basics of chess at a family gathering when I was nine. We continued to play during occasional visits to their home until my early teens (when sports, cars, body building, school and dating girls temporarily displaced chess as a pr ...[text shortened]... uary, 1973, relocation to Chicago with Colgate Palmolive occurred. Part two to follow in a few days.
    9/1/73

Dear Bob,

I have the sad task of writing to all of
    E.M's correspondents and friends that
    E.M. passed away Wednesday, Aug 29th
    -- one month short of his 87th Birthday.

We have all lost a friend.... and I, a brother.

Ben

sonhouse, I've finally found the sheaf of postal correspondence chess letters from E.M. Reubens which includes the handwritten note from Ben Landey above. An obituary dated 8/30/73 from the local newspaper was included:
    Emil Reubens, chess master; aided prisoners

Emil M. Reubens, a Sharon businessman, died in Norwood Hospital last night after a brief illness.

Mr. Reubens was born in Elizagath, Russia, September 23, 1886, and educated at the University of Prague. He came to the United States in 1906 and worked for a time in steel mills in Detroit.

He moved to Boston and was graduated from Boston University in 1922 with a degree in business administration. Last June, at 86, he won his masters degree in business administration from Northeastern University, the oldest person in the university's history to receive such a degree. From 1922 until 1932 he was an accountant in Boston and New York until he became a founding partner in the E.M. Joesam Co., Inc., with headquarters in Ashland.

Mr. Reubens was a founding member of the United States Chess Federation and a master emeritus.

He was a life director of the federation and wrote a book on chess play. He led various groups of chess players to prisons in Massachusetts and Rhode Island and developed a long interest in prison reform. He helped many released prisoners back into society. He founded the Steinberg-Reubens Educational Foundation.

He leaves two sisters in Russia. Services will be at 10 tomorrow at the Stanetsky Chapel in Brookline.

Footnote: In the estimation of many who knew him, this man was truly one of kind in the many facets of his personality, passions and accomplishments. A few memorable excerpts from Emil's "Interstate #1 and #2" 1973 letters may follow.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree