It's me ... Isn't it?

😞
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Oct '14 17:381 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Misunderstanding: Only very exterme cases will be described by ONE of the characteristics. Most people will be a wild mixture....
    We agree as does the article. Better wording would be:
    "... to what extent does each of these "five personality factors" most accurately describe you?
    Danke, Wägbar.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '14 17:57
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    We agree as does the article. Better wording would be:
    "... to what extent does each of these "five personality factors" most accurately describe you?
    Danke, Wägbar.
    Is me giving you a "welcome back to the forums" in line with my personality type?
  5. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    11 Oct '14 18:151 edit
    Me:

Open-minded, adventuresome, flirtatious, with an under-note of coy irony. Loyal and true, with a tendency toward the tease. Determined, yet playful. Reflective, particularly in the context of mixed religious and philosophical nurturing. A tigress on the chessboard who could care less about results. It's all about pushing those little men around! "A game is a game"
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '14 18:43
    Originally posted by coquette
    Me:

Open-minded, adventuresome, flirtatious, with an under-note of coy irony. Loyal and true, with a tendency toward the tease. Determined, yet playful. Reflective, particularly in the context of mixed religious and philosophical nurturing. A tigress on the chessboard who could care less about results. It's all about pushing those little men around! "A game is a game"
    Yow!
  7. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 09:48
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It's me ... Isn't it?

😞
    no sorry but you are next.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '14 15:17
    Is me giving you a "welcome back to the forums" in line with my personality type?
    "2. Agreeableness: This personality dimension includes attributes such as trust, altruism, kindness, affection, and other prosocial behaviors." (OP)

Hi, divegeester. It's good to be here again and thank you for the welcome back. Of course "agreeableness"
    is "in line with [your] personality type", the same way I always do what I'm told (most of the time). lol
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Oct '14 20:332 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    The Big Five Personality Dimensions (Five Major Factors of Personality By Kendra Cherry, Psychology Expert)

"Many contemporary personality psychologists believe that there are five basic dimensions of personality, often referred to as the "Big 5" personality traits. The five broad personality traits described by the theory are extraversion, ...[text shortened]... uld it be if all of our experiences, opinions, styles of expression and personalities were the same.
    Personality Psychology (By Kendra Cherry, Psychology Expert)

Defining Personality: Personality is made up the characteristic patterns of thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that make a person unique. It arises from within the individual and remains fairly consistent throughout life. How exactly do psychologists define personality? What are the different components of personality? You can learn about the answers to these questions and more in this overview of personality:

Almost everyday we describe and assess the personalities of the people around us. Whether we realize it or not, these daily musings on how and why people behave as they do are similar to what personality psychologists do. While our informal assessments of personality tend to focus more on individuals, personality psychologists instead use conceptions of personality that can apply to everyone. Personality research has led to the development of a number of theories that help explain how and why certain personality traits develop."

Definitions of Personality

While there are many different theories of personality, the first step is to understand exactly what is meant by the term personality. The word personality itself stems from the Latin word persona, which referred to a theatrical mask work by performers in order to either project different roles or disguise their identities.

A brief definition would be that personality is made up of the characteristic patterns of thoughts, feelings and behaviors that make a person unique. In addition to this, personality arises from within the individual and remains fairly consistent throughout life.

Some other definitions of personality:

• "Personality refers to individuals' characteristic patterns of thought, emotion, and behavior, together with the psychological mechanisms -- hidden or not -- behind those patterns. This definition means that among their colleagues in other subfields of psychology, those psychologists who study personality have a unique mandate: to explain whole persons."
    (Funder, D. C., 1997)

• "Although no single definition is acceptable to all personality theorists, we can say that personality is a pattern of relatively permanent traits and unique characteristics that give both consistency and individuality to a person's behavior." (Feist and Feist, 2009)

"Personality Vs. Traits and Character

• "Having closed in on a sense of what personality is, it may be helpful to compare the concept to others with related meanings. Two concepts that quickly come to mind are 'temperament' and 'character.' In everyday language these terms are sometimes used more or less interchangeably with 'personality,' and historically they have often been used in contexts where, in more recent times, 'personality' would be employed. Within psychology, however, they have somewhat distinct meanings. Temperament usually refers to those aspects of psychological individuality that are present at birth or at least very early on in child development, are related to emotional expression, and are presumed to have a biological basis... Character, on the other hand, usually refers to those personal attributes that are relevant to moral conduct, self-mastery, will-power, and integrity." (Haslam, N., 2007) http://psychology.about.com/od/personalitydevelopment/p/personality.htm

Note: Here's part two from Kendra Cherry's article. The complexities of our personalities add spice, surprise and life to RHP's Forums. Imagine if we were all cookie cutter the same. I appreciate you, your different points of view and style. -Bob

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree