The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Ask Reuben Fine.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 17:49
    Working in the mental health field, i refer many of my clients to the gym or encourage them to take up a sport etc. There is definitely a link between physical and mental well being.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 17:57
    I think being "mentally OK" with your physical self is more important than the other way around.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 20:003 edits
    Yes absolutely, Botvinnik started the idea of total training which included physical fitness, Spassky played tennis, Korchnio went jogging, played Table tennis etc with his seconds before his match with Karpov to get in good shape and Fischer always worked out (he loved sports anyhow) You can even do a chess workout, you play five minute blitz, every time you lose you work out for a period like jogging on the spot, or doing sit ups/press ups, light weights etc etc Then play some more until you get beat and workout some more. I would say that there seems to be a symbiotic relationship with physical health and mental well being.

Personally I do have a gym membership although i prefer yoga and only recently i have stopped eating any foods that are processed outwith the home and i can tell you with sincerity, weight has dropped off and i feel much more energized as a consequence, both physically and mentally. 😀
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 20:18
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes absolutely, Botvinnik started the idea of total training which included physical fitness, Spassky played tennis, Korchnio went jogging, played Table tennis etc with his seconds before his match with Karpov to get in good shape and Fischer always worked out (he loved sports anyhow) You can even do a chess workout, you play five minute blitz, every ...[text shortened]... as dropped off and i feel much more energized as a consequence, both physically and mentally. 😀
    It's not enough to have a gym membership old chap, you actually need to go to the gym.

Pleased to hear though that you're taking care of yourself.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 21:37
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    It's not enough to have a gym membership old chap, you actually need to go to the gym.

Pleased to hear though that you're taking care of yourself.
    Thank you if I am ever in need of any quackery, you da man! 😛
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 21:39
    sawing logs is well good for the ol cardiovascular and burning them, carbon neutral! Its all good, natures way is the best.
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Jul '15 21:49
    You sound like our dogs. They too walk, dig and at night when the finally nod off they also "saw logs".
  9. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 07:15
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    You sound like our dogs. They too walk, dig and at night when the finally nod off they also "saw logs".
    I try to keep my fingers fit as too my mental fitness my ratings obviously show I am retarded.
  10. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 07:48
    Yes, and the other way around too.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 11:21
    Originally posted by lolof
    Yes, and the other way around too.
    I once went the other way around.

Fell out of the window.

😞
  12. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 11:44
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I once went the other way around.

Fell out of the window.

😞
    🙂
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 21:52
    "Do chess players generally keep physically fit and care about the shape of their bodies?" drewnogal, one man does....
  14. Standard memberchaney3
    Bring it on.......
    Moves
    23 Jul '15 22:52
    This is a very good post. What I am most interested in is the question drewnogal posed: Is there ever a time to just give up?

When does a person give up on their body? When you realize that you are getting older? That you are no longer young? When do you give up?

I say never!!!!! You keep working out and stay physically fit until your last breath.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 05:02
    I blink my eyes like crazy whenever I see my opponent's move.