The Fine Art of Effective Mockery

The Fine Art of Effective Mockery

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
Like Colin?
Don't know Colin Cash, so looked it up. You talking about the guy who died of skin cancer at the age of 35?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by lemon lime
What is there to get? Richard Pryor was taking his obligatory swipe at religion... that's how you get respect if you're in show biz. He's also the guy who accidently set himself on fire while cooking his drug of choice over a flame.
What I don't get, if you can't grasp it, is how is a crucifix related to "bulls**t"?

That was my point. Just in case you didn't get it.

Which, apparently, you didn't.

Also, I don't think anyone subscribes to the notion anymore that "how you get respect" is by being an "a**hole".

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
15 May 14

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
What I don't get, if you can't grasp it, is how is a crucifix related to "bulls**t"?

Also, I don't think anyone subscribes to the notion anymore that "how you get respect" is by being an "a**hole".
Wow... come on, you seriously didn't understand that?

A crucifix is not related to bulls**t.... it's just a dumb joke for atheists who will laugh at anything that makes fun of religion. You do get that, don't you? You don't have to be simple minded to understand how simple minded people think:

~ Vampires are repelled by (allergic to) the crucifix
~ Religion = Bulls**t (remember, we're talking about simple minded people)
~ The crucifix is a symbol of the Christian religion
~ Therefore, vampires are allergic to bulls**t

Also, a**holes will respect other a**holes for being just like them. I can't believe you didn't get that as well... or are you just messing around with this because of the OP?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by coquette
I just love these engaging threads.
*ouch*

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by Ponderable
Effective Mockery should be tuned in onto the mocked person.

Evereybody's soft spot is at an individual place.
True, but it can also be effective if it's simply tossed out and seen by anyone who might recognise themselves.

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
Like Colin?
No I guess you didn't get it. I was saying mess with fire and your going to get burned. Mess with God and your going to Hell.

Bad Karma in zen crap terms...ah never mind it was funnier in my mind than when posted.

rain

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by lemon lime
What is there to get? Richard Pryor was taking his obligatory swipe at religion... that's how you get respect if you're in show biz. He's also the guy who accidently set himself on fire while cooking his drug of choice over a flame.
Mocking religion didn't really become popular until the 2000's. Yes, people like Carlin did many years before that, but that doesn't mean it was popular. Back in Carlin and Pryor's days, it took balls to mock something that people held onto so fanatically.

So I don't think you can accuse Pryor of jumping on some sort of bandwagon...I think that was simply his honest take on religion.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by vivify
Mocking religion didn't really become popular until the 2000's. Yes, people like Carlin did many years before that, but that doesn't mean it was popular. Back in Carlin and Pryor's days, it took balls to mock something that people held onto so fanatically.

So I don't think you can accuse Pryor of jumping on some sort of bandwagon...I think that was simply his honest take on religion.
A fine irish comedian Mr Dave Allen made a career and a fortune taking the pee out of the Roman Catholics as did the sit-com Father Ted my Wife who is a good catholic laughed because she Knows how pompous her religion can be.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
15 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by vivify

You can't be very old if you think it didn't become popular until the 2000's. I was aware of it when I was a teenager during the 60's, and I jumped on that bandwagon for no other reason than all my friends thought it was cool to stand up to religion. That would have made me a part of the target audience today if I hadn't stopped to actually think about what I was doing.

It doesn't take balls to say and do what the group you want to be a part of approves of. Television has relaxed its standards so now more people are aware of it, but this sort of thing has been going on long before I was born.

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by Suzianne

I thought it was an example of mockery, that's all.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by JS357
I thought it was an example of mockery, that's all.
It's a fine line, is all I'm saying.

In the eye of the beholder and all that.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 May 14

Pope on a Rope soap was hillarious

free tazer tickles..

wildly content...

Moves
16 May 14

Originally posted by coquette
I just love these engaging threads.
no way we're gonna engage,
unless it's simply sex...
and no i don't really mind,
if you mock me in a text...

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 May 14

Originally posted by rookie54
no way we're gonna engage,
unless it's simply sex...
and no i don't really mind,
if you mock me in a text...
Wonder why the word "catatonic" comes to mind?