1. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 06:45
    Nicolaus Copernicus: 1473 - 1543. With only a few crude mathematical instruments and pen and paper he proved the sun was the center of the solar system and earth revolved around the sun; and did it at a time when it was a pretty dangerous thing to do, considering the Catholic inquisition was running amok at the time. I'm changing my avatar to honor this half-forgotten genius. πŸ™‚
  2. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 06:48
    πŸ‘
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 07:041 edit
    @mchill

His published work on heliocentricity was on the Vatican list of forbidden books for several centuries.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 08:10
    @mchill said
    Nicolaus Copernicus: 1473 - 1543. With only a few crude mathematical instruments and pen and paper he proved the sun was the center of the solar system and earth revolved around the sun; and did it at a time when it was a pretty dangerous thing to do, considering the Catholic inquisition was running amok at the time. I'm changing my avatar to honor this half-forgotten genius. πŸ™‚
    In fact he has lots and lots of measurements, otherwise no prove would have been possible at all. So here is to the unknown astronomers (and Tycho Brahe, whom we do know) for nights and nights of precise measurements and data collection!
  5. upholding RHP values
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 08:17
    @moonbus said
    @mchill

His published work on heliocentricity was on the Vatican list of forbidden books for several centuries.
    There are posters here today, in the spirituality forum, who are members of religious organisations which prohibit the reading of certain content.

Unbelievable, isn’t it.
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 14:19
    @divegeester
    Just out of curiosity, what content and which organizations are you talking about?

No need to identify any RHP members but it would be interesting to know details about the organizations and what particular content they do not allow.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 14:40
    @mchill said
    Well he certainly made it well past what the average life expectancy was for the time. Genius.πŸ‘
  8. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 16:27
    @ponderable said
    In fact he has lots and lots of measurements, otherwise no prove would have been possible at all. So here is to the unknown astronomers (and Tycho Brahe, whom we do know) for nights and nights of precise measurements and data collection!
    Well, you're just a little ray of sunshine, aren't you?
  9. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 17:09
    when folks just don't have a clue
    i keep on collecting data
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 17:11
    @rookie54 said
    when folks just don't have a clue
    i keep on collecting data
    LOL...What an intelligent thing to do! πŸ™‚

-VR
  11. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 20:34
    @mchill said
    You will become known on here as Copperknickers.
  12. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 20:451 edit
    4 thumbs down for me because I gave the original poster a thumbs up...

You people need a psychiatrist πŸ€”
  13. upholding RHP values
    Moves
    27 Dec '21 21:49
    @mwmiller said
    @divegeester
    Just out of curiosity, what content and which organizations are you talking about?

No need to identify any RHP members but it would be interesting to know details about the organizations and what particular content they do not allow.
    Jehovah’s Witneses
    The Lord’s recovery movement

To name just two, but there are many others.
  14. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    28 Dec '21 00:57
    @divegeester said
    Jehovah’s Witneses
    The Lord’s recovery movement

To name just two, but there are many others.
    Several conservative Protestant religions have banned books lists. Exclusive Brethren ban tv and radio and internet as well.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Father Mocker
    Wherever
    Moves
    28 Dec '21 01:29
    @divegeester said
    There are posters here today, in the spirituality forum, who are members of religious organisations which prohibit the reading of certain content.

Unbelievable, isn’t it.
    There will always be organizations that try to gain power by controlling what people think.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree