1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Aug '13 16:243 edits
    The Internet Fulfills a Major Human Need

Once upon a time, people sat on their porches and spoke with neighbors passing by. Social gatherings, clubs and churches served as the venue for contact with groups of friends with opportunities to make new ones. Postal Mail and telephone conversations provided the means for staying in touch with family and friends great distances away. Thanks to advances in technology, computers and the internet became a reality. Now, emails take a few minutes and arrive instantly; texting, even less time away from home. The Advent of Bulletin Boards, Public Forums and Facebook forever altered the lives of vast populations in the civilized world, fulfilling a major human need: Air Time, the need to be listened to and heard. "Hi, lol...
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    19 Aug '13 17:481 edit
    The misinformation highway.
    So many hoaxes and urban legends thrive via email and social sharing. I am just glad there are also wild conspiracy theories online. It saves me the price of the Enquirer et al.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 14:37
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    The misinformation highway.
    So many hoaxes and urban legends thrive via email and social sharing. I am just glad there are also wild conspiracy theories online. It saves me the price of the Enquirer et al.
    Well put!

The Internet seems to fulfill a Major human Need. But since truth in relationship is part of ist very foundation, the Internet is not. Everybody Claims to be someone who he might or might not be.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 15:36
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Well put!

The Internet [b]seems
    to fulfill a Major human Need. But since truth in relationship is part of ist very foundation, the Internet is not. Everybody Claims to be someone who he might or might not be.[/b]
    "Everybody Claims to be someone who he might or might not be."

Most but not "everybody". Many refuse to disclose so much as their gender or first name but not all. - Grampy Bobby lol
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 15:45
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

Most but not "everybody". Many refuse to disclose so much as their gender or first name but not all. - Grampy Bobby lol
    Indeed and thus they do construct a Person in their own way. The Point is you don't know who it really is you are talking to.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 15:52
    Indeed and thus they do construct a Person in their own way. The Point is you don't know who it really is you are talking to.
    Ponderable, you're talking directly to me. You know, "Bobby" from Boston, Massachusetts, USA. OMG, you're killing me! lol
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 04:24
    [b]The Internet Fulfills a Major Human Need

Once upon a time, people sat on their porches and spoke with neighbors passing by. Social gatherings, clubs and churches served as the venue for contact with groups of friends with opportunities to make new ones. Postal Mail and telephone conversations provided the means for staying in touch with family ...[text shortened]... lfilling a major human need: Air Time, the need to be listened to and heard. "Hi, lol...[/b]
    One thing the internet will never replace is a warm, honest, face-to-face conversation between two people who respect and care about each other. You could even go Skype, but even that's just not the same. You can't share a good cup of java, Earl Grey, or even hot cocoa (with marshmallows!) over the internet.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 04:26
    Ponderable, you're talking directly to me. You know, "Bobby" from Boston, Massachusetts, USA. OMG, you're killing me! lol
    Don't take this the wrong way, Bob, but you remind me of Data from Star Trek, trying to emulate humans, who just found out what lol meant.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 04:29

We are not our gender and first name.

The internet shields more than it discloses.

Body language, for starts.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 04:30
    Well put!

The Internet [b]seems
    to fulfill a Major human Need. But since truth in relationship is part of ist very foundation, the Internet is not. Everybody Claims to be someone who he might or might not be.[/b]
    That's not even the core of it.

What is missing is the human capacity for touch, warmth, a smile, connectedness... and I do not mean connected by a CAT5 cable.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 08:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    One thing the internet will never replace is a warm, honest, face-to-face conversation between two people who respect and care about each other. You could even go Skype, but even that's just not the same. You can't share a good cup of java, Earl Grey, or even hot cocoa (with marshmallows!) over the internet.
    "You can't share a good cup of java, Earl Grey, or even hot cocoa (with marshmallows!) over the internet."

... or a hug.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 08:52
    Don't take this the wrong way, Bob, but you remind me of Data from Star Trek, trying to emulate humans, who just found out what lol meant.
    Unfamiliar with "Data from Star Trek" but have no concerns with your meaning or motives. You've always had my back.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 08:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    We are not our gender and first name.

The internet shields more than it discloses.

Body language, for starts.
    Au contraire, JS357. Avatars, Self Proclaimed Titles and the use of Emoticons permanently simulates non-verbals. -Bob
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 09:58
    Au contraire, JS357. Avatars, Self Proclaimed Titles and the use of Emoticons permanently simulates non-verbals. -Bob
    But he's got a point. "The internet shields more than it discloses." This is what enables women to hold equal ground to men.

It's why, indeed, there ARE women "on the internet", despite what you hear to the contrary in 'internet memes'.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 10:06
    But he's got a point. "The internet shields more than it discloses." This is what enables women to hold equal ground to men.

It's why, indeed, there ARE women "on the internet", despite what you hear to the contrary in 'internet memes'.
    Agree with your take on the issue. Disparate treatment because of gender has no business playing any role on the internet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree