1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 10:19
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Unfamiliar with "Data from Star Trek" but have no concerns with your meaning or motives. You've always had my back.
    Maybe you need to watch more cable television. I believe Fox runs a lot of syndicated episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (ST:TNG). I think TBS does, as well. It's a well-done successor to what has become known as "Star Trek: The Original Series" (ST:TOS).
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 10:441 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Maybe you need to watch more cable television. I believe Fox runs a lot of syndicated episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (ST:TNG). I think TBS does, as well. It's a well-done successor to what has become known as "Star Trek: The Original Series" (ST:TOS).
    My son, Eric, and his family love the series. I'll ask him if he has any spare DVDs. Thanks.

Note: Will also check the cable listings.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 12:07
    Agree with your take on the issue. Disparate treatment because of gender has no business playing any role on the internet.
    Nor anywhere else concerning any "different" issues.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 12:44
    "You can't share a good cup of java, Earl Grey, or even hot cocoa (with marshmallows!) over the internet."

... or a hug.
    Precisely, but I was trying to stay away from the obvious physical issues.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 12:56
    Agree with your take on the issue. Disparate treatment because of gender has no business playing any role on the internet.
    Still, it does, whether or not you think it should. Both ways, to advantage and to disadvantage, to be sure. Haven't you always been somewhat 'kinder and gentler' to the females? Sure it can be taken as a sign of 'gallantry', but it's still 'disparate treatment'. Those who happen to be misogynists are equally as common.

My point was that removing the visual from most internet communication has helped to a)remove a lot of 'disparate treatment' and to b)give women more confidence to voice their opinions. When gender is taken out, we get closer to a woman's version of MLK's statement:

"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the fullness of their bustline but by the content of their character."

Amen.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 15:40
    Still, it does, whether or not you think it should. Both ways, to advantage and to disadvantage, to be sure. Haven't you always been somewhat 'kinder and gentler' to the females? Sure it can be taken as a sign of 'gallantry', but it's still 'disparate treatment'. Those who happen to be misogynists are equally as common.

My point was that removing the ...[text shortened]... by the fullness of their bustline but by the content of their character."

Amen.
    "Haven't you always been somewhat 'kinder and gentler' to the females?"

During earlier years older 'females'/women were treated with a greater degree of deference and respect than males/men. Curiously, one day we all became the same age irrespective of our dates of birth. Nowadays, online or face to face, I swap thoughts and friendly banter with both genders in public and private with equal abandon. Both genders exercise unspoken mutual freedom in dishing it back with the same playful intensity. And I'm loving it. McDonald's, go pound sand. lol
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 20:562 edits
    "Haven't you always been somewhat 'kinder and gentler' to the females?"

During earlier years older 'females'/women were treated with a greater degree of deference and respect than males/men. Curiously, one day we all became the same age irrespective of our dates of birth. Nowadays, online or face to face, I swap thoughts and friendly banter with both ...[text shortened]... back with the same playful intensity. And I'm loving it. McDonald's, go pound sand. lol
    Since I now notice that it appears to be a pattern, I'll go ahead and ask.

Why the quotes around the word females all the time, without similar treatment of the word males?

Looks a bit like some more 'disparate treatment'. Proving my point. Or is it just your 'id' showing?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 21:08
    Since I now notice that it appears to be a pattern, I'll go ahead and ask.

Why the quotes around the word females all the time, without similar treatment of the word males?
    Same reason you did with "... 'kinder and gentler' to..." which in this instance is to highlight for emphasis.
    You know me far too well from conversations in other forums, personal messages and elsewhere to even
    entertain the thought of gender discrimination. In God's sight female and male human beings are equal.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 21:20
    Same reason you did with "... 'kinder and gentler' to..." which in this instance is to highlight for emphasis.
    You know me far too well from conversations in other forums, personal messages and elsewhere to even
    entertain the thought of gender discrimination. In God's sight female and male human beings are equal.
    Well, I asked because that's not exactly how it reads.

But it doesn't really matter. No worries.
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 21:41
    In God's sight female and male human beings are equal.
    Change of heart, Bobby?
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 21:49
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Change of heart, Bobby?
    I sense you both mellowing some...or at least towards one and other.😀
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 21:53
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    "... towards one another."

I see this all the time. This mixing up "an" and "and". Makes no sense to me.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 21:581 edit
    Just have fun with the internet Bob.

Take everything with a grain of salt.

It is good to be tough skinned my old friend.
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 22:04
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Don't press your luck. 🙂
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 22:09
    The Internet Fulfills a Major Human Need

"Once upon a time, people sat on their porches and spoke with neighbors passing by. Social gatherings, clubs and churches served as the venue for contact with groups of friends with opportunities to make new ones. Postal Mail and telephone conversations provided the means for staying in touch with family and friends great distances away. Thanks to advances in technology, computers and the internet became a reality. Now, emails take a few minutes and arrive instantly; texting, even less time away from home. The Advent of Bulletin Boards, Public Forums and Facebook forever altered the lives of vast populations in the civilized world, fulfilling a major human need: Air Time, the need to be listened to and heard." (OP)

Thesis certainly still applies to this forum on rare occasions when there's a critical mass of high spirited members on hand.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree