1. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    15 Feb '15 18:08
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I do, on the radio.
    "The weed of crime bears bitter fruit. Crime does not pay... The Shadow knows!"

The Shadow was broadcast in the U.S. from 1930 until the mid-50s. Over the years the title role
    (aka Lamont Cranston) was portrayed by several actors, including Orson Welles.
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    15 Feb '15 19:28
    I do, on the radio.
    You and Kewpie must be crowding 70 if you remember The Shadow on the radio.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    15 Feb '15 21:212 edits
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    You and Kewpie must be crowding 70 if you remember The Shadow on the radio.
    I am 70, and as a kid in the country I got a lot of radio time in the evening. Australia may have run later than the US, because we bought a lot of packaged stuff from other places.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 02:45
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I am 70, and as a kid in the country I got a lot of radio time in the evening. Australia may have run later than the US, because we bought a lot of packaged stuff from other places.
    Many of the old radio programs are still available on the Internet. When you hear how trite and dated some
    of them are, you realize how much time has passed since we sat around the living room or the kitchen and
    enjoyed them. It was a very different world.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 03:041 edit
    You don't even need to go that far back. I got the DVD of Yes Minister and found it seemed very dated - and that's only mid-80s! We often watch old BBC series repeats on TV, and some things from the late 90s seem quaint now. Like the inability to find a phone box.
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 03:10
    You don't even need to go that far back. I got the DVD of Yes Minister and found it seemed very dated - and that's only mid-80s! We often watch old BBC series repeats on TV, and some things from the late 90s seem quaint now. Like the inability to find a phone box.
    I don't mind that too much.. it's historic. But the old comedy just ain't funny anymore.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 03:44
    I don't mind that too much.. it's historic. But the old comedy just ain't funny anymore.
    I'd have to agree. We find different things funny now. On that point, I find U.S. comedy quite different from everyone else's - it seems a bit closer to "the bleeding obvious" which isn't always that funny.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 16:32
    You don't even need to go that far back. I got the DVD of Yes Minister and found it seemed very dated - and that's only mid-80s!
    If you think Yes, Minister is dated, you have a very rosy view of British politics. Besides, Yes, Minister isn't comedy, it's a documentary.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 16:39
    I'd have to agree. We find different things funny now. On that point, I find U.S. comedy quite different from everyone else's - it seems a bit closer to "the bleeding obvious" which isn't always that funny.
    Subtlety has gone the way of handwritten letters and rotary telephones.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 18:34
    Subtlety has gone the way of handwritten letters and rotary telephones.
    We agree, Andy, snd the nuanced reality is that 'the last word' occurs just before the last breath if at all.
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 22:54
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    If you think Yes, Minister is dated, you have a very rosy view of British politics. Besides, Yes, Minister isn't comedy, it's a documentary.
    We've always said that. But our politicians have gone from bad to worse since then, you wouldn't believe what goes on here nowadays.
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 03:49
    We've always said that. But our politicians have gone from bad to worse since then, you wouldn't believe what goes on here nowadays.
    Ours is a comedy, with members from one party moving to another and in some instances the majority of the opposition party in one of the provinces crossing the floor and joining the government it was in opposition to.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 06:04
    It seems we're likely to dump our third Prime Minister in a row, and since this one is the one that caused all the grief for the last two it's retribution of a sort.
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 14:20
    It seems we're likely to dump our third Prime Minister in a row, and since this one is the one that caused all the grief for the last two it's retribution of a sort.
    Ya gets what ya pays (votes) for.
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Feb '15 19:13
    Ya gets what ya pays (votes) for.
    It's a sad fact that:
    [1] anybody who brown-noses the Murdoch media empire will be elected
    [2] nobody worth electing ever stands for office
    [3] if someone who is worth electing does #1 and manages to get elected, the other politicians will make sure they never get into a decision-making position.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree