03 Dec '15 22:19
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Thanks for your honesty.
  2. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 22:27
    I will have to postpone that kind of predicament for about 10 years - my daughters are too busy to take care of me, and as Drew says, we don't want to be dependent on our children.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 22:571 edit
    I could not abide my parents going to an old folks home. They live not very far from me which I planned deliberately for this very reason. If any of them need constant care they will come and live with me and my family. They are under no circumstances going into an old folks home. I could not live with myself.
  4. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 22:59
    Originally posted by lolof
    I will have to postpone that kind of predicament for about 10 years - my daughters are too busy to take care of me, and as Drew says, we don't want to be dependent on our children.
    Trouble is once dementia sets in (and it happens quite fast) all that noble talk
    about not wanting to be a burden goes out of the window.
  5. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '15 23:031 edit
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    Trouble is once dementia sets in (and it happens quite fast) all that noble talk
    about not wanting to be a burden goes out of the window.
    It's not just noble talk, it's reality here but I agree with you that it would be an extremely difficult situation.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 01:47
    "Sweden: Providing good elderly care becomes increasingly important with an ageing population. Many elderly Swedes are in good health and lead active lives, and most live in their own homes. Sweden invests more of its gross domestic product in its elderly than any other country in the world..." https://sweden.se/society/elderly-care-in-sweden/

Note: lolof, this is quite an informative article which confirms the difference in the options available as compared with the USA.
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 05:10

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 07:36
    That is what many of us hope for, to be that lucky.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 07:58
    I just think its the cycle of life. Our parents looked after us when we were young and vulnerable and we have an obligation to look after them when they are aged and vulnerable. If you were my mom and struggling to look after yourself you would come and live in our home if you were agreeable. No question about it.
  10. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 10:02
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Sweden: Providing good elderly care becomes increasingly important with an ageing population. Many elderly Swedes are in good health and lead active lives, and most live in their own homes. Sweden invests more of its gross domestic product in its elderly than any other country in the world..." https://sweden.se/society/elderly-care-in-sweden/

Note: ...[text shortened]... rmative article which confirms the difference in the options available as compared with the USA.
    All this sounds very good but it isn't quite as good as it sounds. Still, maybe it's a lot better than many other countries.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 19:08
    All this sounds very good but it isn't quite as good as it sounds. Still, maybe it's a lot better than many other countries.
    My siblings and I had and have (mum at 92 passed away 2 years ago. Dad's still with us at 99) parents who were/are financially able to be able to take care of the situation. There was talk at the time care was needed and we all said we'd take them in but they said no that they were OK. I guess it all depends on the individual situations.
  12. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 20:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I just think its the cycle of life. Our parents looked after us when we were young and vulnerable and we have an obligation to look after them when they are aged and vulnerable. If you were my mom and struggling to look after yourself you would come and live in our home if you were agreeable. No question about it.
    That's fine if you or your wife do not work.
    Tricky if you both work.
    We were quoted £14900 (about $22500) per month for a live in carer.
    We are well off but still can't afford that.
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 21:45
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    That's fine if you or your wife do not work.
    Tricky if you both work.
    We were quoted £14900 (about $22500) per month for a live in carer.
    We are well off but still can't afford that.
    My folks paid $8,000.00 CDN/month in what was like a 5 star hotel (2 restaurants, movie theatre, bowling lanes, pools, games room, bar/pub) if they didn't have it you didn't need it. Of course there was also nurses and doctors on site. But at $22,500/month they also wouldn't have been able to afford that.
  14. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    04 Dec '15 23:01

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Dec '15 04:43
    If one of your own grandparents had written this poem
    and then showed it to you during your next visit,
    how would you respond?

This is my letter to the world,
    That never wrote to me,-
    The simple news that Nature told,
    With tender majesty

Her message is committed
    To hands I cannot see;
    For love of her, sweet countrymen,
    Judge tenderly of me!

Emily Dickinson

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree