The Old Folks Home

The Old Folks Home

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
03 Dec 15

The Old Folks Home

If you're fortunate enough to live that long, one day you'll probably be there as a resident.
If so what would be your priority criteria in the selection of an "Old Folks Home"?

Mar-a-Lago

Moves
03 Dec 15

Gramps in your case heavy security.

If you behave yourself you can help out in the laundry.

F

Moves
03 Dec 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
If you're fortunate enough to live that long, one day you'll probably be there as a resident. If so what would be your priority criteria in the selection of an "Old Folks Home"?
Zero chance where I live and with the way my life and my family are set up. I am not aware of any old people's homes in my city. I'd have to look them up. But I've never heard of any and never heard anyone talk about them.

If I found myself in one, however, I would want a PC and access to the internet so that I didn't have to give up work (I have no plans to retire), an absolutely brilliant stereo with wireless headphones, a shelf full of books, a ceiling fan (not AC), a dispenser with ice cold water and hot-enough-for coffee, and a supply of Marmite. Aside from that, I'd be happy with pretty spartan circumstances. I wouldn't want to be a financial burden on my family.

l

Moves
03 Dec 15

[b]The Old Folks Home

If you're fortunate enough to live that long, one day you'll probably be there as a resident.
If so what would be your priority criteria in the selection of an "Old Folks Home"?[/b]
No chance here of getting into such a place while still enjoying other people's company, good food and wine, which is what I would like, basic really, but there are no such facilities.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
03 Dec 15

I'd love to chip in, but given the antecedents I'd be careful to
reveal anything personal. Which reminds me, by the way:

Public Service Announcement, courtesy of the American
Psychiatric Association.

Be careful sharing your personal details on RHP with a certain
someone. Users portraying themselves as a harmless 'lad', white hair
and all (even with imaginary friends who persist to exist despite the
medication) are known to fish sensitive data which can then be used
for passive aggressive rants, nauseating copy pasting, and tasteless
disclosures to attract attention to themselves. Be afraid of whomever
invokes the TOS or the supreme ruler role of Russ.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
03 Dec 15

[b]The Old Folks Home

If so what would be your priority criteria in the selection of an "Old Folks Home"?[/b]
vicinity to family

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
03 Dec 15

Originally posted by lolof
No chance here of getting into such a place while still enjoying other people's company, good food and wine, which is what I would like, basic really, but there are no such facilities.
Old Folks Home Synonyms include: "special care facility for elderly; nursing home; assisted living facility; convalescent home; convalescent hospital."

Note: In this country Hospice Care is available for seriously ill elderly people who prefer to live (usually with family) at home.

l

Moves
03 Dec 15
2 edits

Old Folks Home Synonyms include: "special care facility for elderly; nursing home; assisted living facility; convalescent home; convalescent hospital."

Note: In this country Hospice Care is available for seriously ill elderly people who prefer to live (usually with family) at home.
There aren't enough facilities giving special care for elderly; when you do get that kind of help, it is always at a late stage and you will need help with everything.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
03 Dec 15

There aren't enough facilities giving special care for elderly; when you do get that kind of help, it is always at a late stage and you will need help with everything.
Then what options do these elderly men and women have if their sons or daughter are gainfully employed and unable to provide care throughout the day?

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
03 Dec 15

Spam RHP forums, of course. Full time.

it's a dirty job but someone has to do it.

l

Moves
03 Dec 15
1 edit

Then what options do these elderly men and women have if their sons or daughter are gainfully employed and unable to provide care throughout the day?
We can have help in our homes who will provide services that are approved, but these people are not the same from time to time so if you need help at various times day and night, it is often very confusing. My mother who lived 160 km from me was in that situation for a couple of years. So we had better stay as fit as possible for as long as possible. 🙂

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
03 Dec 15

We can have help in our homes who will provide services that are approved, but these people are not the same from time to time so if you need help at various times day and night, it is often very confusing. My mother who lived 160 km from me was in that situation for a couple of years. So we had better stay as fit as possible for as long as possible. 🙂
Thanks, lolof; your final suggestion is well received.

Mar-a-Lago

Moves
03 Dec 15

Thanks, lolof; your final suggestion is well received.
Grampy no matter how fit you get your never going to clear that razor wire fence.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
03 Dec 15

[b]The Old Folks Home

Ensure your partner is at least 20 years your junior.

Job done.

Constant Gardener

The Plot

Moves
03 Dec 15