"The Order" on Netflix

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 Jul 20

@divegeester said
Oh I see! I thought you had access to something outside of Netflix which helped.

Amazon search is even more challenging to use if you are looking for something outside of the marketing banners. I was quite surprised at how many movies they have, about 1,400 I think it was, although at least two thirds appeared to be complete rubbish.
I have to agree with this. Most of the "rubbish" movies I've seen in the past year have been on Amazon.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Jul 20

@caesar-salad
I didn't hear about it, what is the premise?
I hook up NF every now and then but don't really watch it much.

Moves
03 Jul 20

@sonhouse said
@caesar-salad
I didn't hear about it, what is the premise?
I hook up NF every now and then but don't really watch it much.
Hmm. A college freshman is granted a full scholarship and applies to be accepted into a secret magical society on campus because of a personal grudge, but there are complications. There are some serious moments and lots of people die, but it's mostly a comedy.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
03 Jul 20

@divegeester said
Oh I see! I thought you had access to something outside of Netflix which helped.

Amazon search is even more challenging to use if you are looking for something outside of the marketing banners. I was quite surprised at how many movies they have, about 1,400 I think it was, although at least two thirds appeared to be complete rubbish.
The trouble I have with the search option on both of them is I spend an hour or so looking for a film, I see a few I like but keep searching because the grass is always greener.
Often I spend so long scrolling and checking the scenarios that it’s too late to watch a film and I go to bed having watched nothing.
Also on Amazon I might see a film I fancy and then find I have to pay extra to watch it on a sub channel.

Moves
04 Jul 20

@kevcvs57 said
The trouble I have with the search option on both of them is I spend an hour or so looking for a film, I see a few I like but keep searching because the grass is always greener.
Often I spend so long scrolling and checking the scenarios that it’s too late to watch a film and I go to bed having watched nothing.
Also on Amazon I might see a film I fancy and then find I have to pay extra to watch it on a sub channel.
Haha, this is exactly what I do!
Hugely frustrating.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 Jul 20

@divegeester
Yeah, pain in the ass to do searches one search for letters at a time.....
Why can't they put in a real search engine where you just type the frigging title and hit search?

Moves
04 Jul 20
1 edit

@sonhouse said
@divegeester
Yeah, pain in the ass to do searches one search for letters at a time.....
Why can't they put in a real search engine where you just type the frigging title and hit search?
Is searching by one letter at a time how it works on phones and tablets, or on things like Roku and Firestick? I only stream on my desktop PC nowadays, and can search by full title on Amazon Prime.

Similar to others, I can spend half an hour searching for something to watch, and end up not watching anything. Exhausted and/or scattered by overchoice.

Not quite the filters discussed above, but reelgood.com lets one search by title or by person's name, to show what's playing on which streaming services. It's handy when I find a new favorite director or actor.

Moves
05 Jul 20
2 edits

I'm not sure, but I think the trailer for "The Order" has changed and has become more explicit re: the storyline. What drew me in to give it a chance at least for ten minutes or so, were the masks, the robes, the candles, the set.

What kept me in was the cast and the interpersonal interactions, and the occasional snark. I think I was only partway into episode one when I checked IMDB to find out "who is that?"

Cool to find out that Katharine Isabelle, the Temple Magus, had also played Ginger in the Ginger Snaps movies. Not really into the lead guy. Nice enough looking but maybe a little too Kevin Bacon-y for my taste, albeit respectable in the role. That Adam diMarco, though. Mm mm mm. A lot of well-cast people involved.

Overall I would say it is somewhat Canadian, which I think is a good thing.

Moves
05 Jul 20

On a branching but equally valid topic, I'd like to mention that Criterion has their own channel that shows foreign and classic films:

https://www.criterionchannel.com

Also, check your local libraries to see what streaming services might be included with your membership. For instance, my county library system lets us access MUBI for free:

https://mubi.com

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Jul 20

@caesar-salad
I like science fiction but when I go to Netflix or showtime and hit the sci fi button you just see a bunch of loser crap like Freddie this and that, #19 of the same old crap. I don't see any of the star wars franchise or much even of star trek,
I liked the concept behind Stargate but there hasn't been any new ones in the subgenre. I would love to see the Enders game made into a franchise but not going to hold my breath for that or the long Sun series. Oh well, just as well, I should be doing more compositions on guitar and mandolin anyway, have 123 tracks now on Soundcloud and the C19 thing has stopped me in my tracks, haven't even picked up a guitar much in months. I was on a roll back in January but now the muse has mussed up....

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Jul 20

@sonhouse said
@caesar-salad
I like science fiction but when I go to Netflix or showtime and hit the sci fi button you just see a bunch of loser crap like Freddie this and that, #19 of the same old crap. I don't see any of the star wars franchise or much even of star trek,
I liked the concept behind Stargate but there hasn't been any new ones in the subgenre. I would love to see the End ...[text shortened]... icked up a guitar much in months. I was on a roll back in January but now the muse has mussed up....
Hmmmm, Star Trek or Star Wars. This is because Paramount and Disney both have their own streaming services. They won't show it on Netflix or Amazon because they want you to buy their streaming service.

Moves
05 Jul 20

@sonhouse said
@caesar-salad
I liked the concept behind Stargate but there hasn't been any new ones in the subgenre. I would love to see the End ...[text shortened]... icked up a guitar much in months. I was on a roll back in January but now the muse has mussed up....
Yeah, and of course it depends on what kind of science fiction you are looking for and what you are looking for from science fiction. Also, what can be done on the screen might be a step or two down from what can be done in prose.

In my case, I think Bradbury, Clarke, and Stapledon's timelines had a very expansive and poetic effect on my development. Stories about high-tech brutality just don't interest me that much.

Star Wars is all on Disney Plus now, along with the Marvel movies.

The recent Star Treks (Discovery and Picard) are on CBS All Access.

HBO has another take on Fahrenheit 451 and a series based on The Watchmen (which I haven't seen), as well as three seasons of Westworld, which was okay I suppose, but also disappointing, especially in the second season.

Moves
05 Jul 20
1 edit

Maybe my problem with most screen science fiction is that I would rather have the cool sets and starships and starscapes, but without the antagonism.

Maybe, ultimately, we all become deliberately inoffensive quantum beings, or subside into the ether.

Moves
06 Jul 20

Kind of a sidestep, but I think the team that did "The Order" might have the right mindset to do "Chronicles of Amber" (Zelazny) or "Dancers at the End of Time" (Moorcock).

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Jul 20

@caesar-salad
I liked 'the Postman' by Brin and Waterworld, even if it was dumb🙂
But I like movies about interstellar travel and discoveries but not like those anti science movies that put you on Mars with monsters coming at you.
I liked Chronicles of Riddick, I liked the scene where he says "Its an animal thing' I chuffed at that one.