1. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 12:26
    Years ago, back in the middle 1970s I used to see a young man about 16 years of age and a large dog walking along the road. When cars would pass him on the other side, he made eye contact and waved. I saw him almost daily, walking along the road waving at cars.

One rainy day I saw him and pulled over. I asked if he could use a ride. He said, "I'm not really going anywhere, just walkin, thanks the same mister." I used to enjoy walks out in the countryside myself, so I thought it wasn't too odd. I told him if he ever needed a ride or help to flag me down and I would do whatever I could. He thanked me and went on his way.

A few weeks later I saw the boy walking, he didn't have his usual smile and was pacing rather that walking. He was me and frantically flagged me down. As I got closer I could see he was crying. I asked what was wrong. "My best friend just passed away. He was walking with me and just dropped, he's back by my house." He said through tears. I said hop in and I'll take you there.

The house was a small old farmhouse, with a larger driveway. I saw a dead dog just outside the driveway. "There!!There he is, that's Randy!" He exclaimed. I checked the animal, he had been dead for some time. I told the kid his dog was gone, but he needed to keep him in his heart. We both cried. We took Randy to his house, made a maker and buried him. I left feeling very blue.

After work that day a friend came by. Odd coincidence, his female dog had a litter a couple of months ago. One of the pups, they named Randy, and he was the spitting image of old Randy himself. I explained the whole situation to my friend Jim. Jim said it was not a coincidence and it was a sign. Jim said take Randy to that boy and tell him to take care of him.

I took him up to the house. The boy must have spotted me driving up the long drive and went out to greet me. When I opened the door, little Randy came barreling out of the car. "Randy!! You came back to me!!" The boy said with tears of joy. Life goes on.

(Not a competition entry, just an old man with a story to tell)
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 12:32
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Years ago, back in the middle 1970s I used to see a young man about 16 years of age and a large dog walking along the road. When cars would pass him on the other side, he made eye contact and waved. I saw him almost daily, walking along the road waving at cars.

One rainy day I saw him and pulled over. I asked if he could use a ride. He said, "I'm not ...[text shortened]... rs of joy. Life goes on.

All great power moves in cycles! 😀
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 13:54

One rainy day I saw him and pulled over. I asked if he could use a ride. He said, "I'm not ...[text shortened]... rs of joy. Life goes on.

Great story! 🙂
  4. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 13:56

It's a lovely story!
  5. rebel city
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 16:12

What a beautiful story! 🙂
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 16:521 edit

alternative ending,

The house was a small old farmhouse, with a larger driveway. I saw a dead dog just outside the driveway. "There!!There he is, that's Randy!" He exclaimed. I checked the animal, he had been dead for some time. I told the kid his dog was gone, but he needed to keep him in his heart. I took out my Bowie knife and skinned him as he lay on that dirt path, made a Davy Crockett hat from his hide and tail. We both tried it on. We took what was left of Randy to his house and made a marker. I left feeling very cozy in my new fur hat.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 17:01

One of your personal bests, CP. I'm unashamed to tell you that toward the end a little water came to the corner of my eyes.
  8. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 18:28

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 18:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    alternative ending,

The house was a small old farmhouse, with a larger driveway. I saw a dead dog just outside the driveway. "There!!There he is, that's Randy!" He exclaimed. I checked the animal, he had been dead for some time. I told the kid his dog was gone, but he needed to keep him in his heart. I took out my Bowie knife and skinned him as h ...[text shortened]... at was left of Randy to his house and made a marker. I left feeling very cozy in my new fur hat.
    There's no need to continue proving that you're obnoxious. We're convinced.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 18:511 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    remember the young ones, its the filth?

YouTube

or blackadder, Captain flasheart?

YouTube
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '14 18:52
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Easy Randy, go lightly on the ground.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jun '14 00:09
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    It's just British humour!
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jun '14 10:47
    Congratulations to CP for being on top of the recommended posts page with a positive contribution to the GF. A seldom feat indeed.
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    12 Jun '14 21:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    alternative ending,

I told the kid his dog was gone, but he needed to keep his heart. I took out my Bowie knife, cut out the heart and put it inna jar of vinegar to keep on his shelf...
    fix'd...
  15. In your face
    Moves
    12 Jun '14 22:38
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    It's just British humour!
    Mmm. no they don't want any of that. Scottish you may call it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree