1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 17:11
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    I once lived in Battle Creek, and today discovered this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3215364/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Can't wait to see it.

I can't remember which of the lakes I went to, but I have treasured memories of a day out at Lake Michigan with my sister (I was probably around 5 years old at the time).

They're a natural wonder of the world aren't they?
    Yes they sure are and we really have to take care of them. For a number of years my brothers-in-law and I used to go away for a boys week of fishing/golfing in Central Michigan. We always had a great time. The drive around the top of Lake Superior gives spectacular views, similar to those of the Cabot Trail in Cape Britain. That film looks pretty good I will look out for it. Wonder if there'll be any cereals prominent in it? 😉
  2. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 17:193 edits
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Yes they sure are and we really have to take care of them. For a number of years my brothers-in-law and I used to go away for a boys week of fishing/golfing in Central Michigan. We always had a great time. The drive around the top of Lake Superior gives spectacular views, similar to those of the Cabot Trail in Cape Britain. That film looks pretty good I will look out for it. Wonder if there'll be any cereals prominent in it? 😉
    Haha, my Dad was a manager at Kellogg's and I went on tours of the factory. Used to come home with reams and reams of that old-fashioned "computer paper", printed on dot matrix printers. I believe they still hold the 'Longest Breakfast Table in the World' festival annually. We knew some lovely people in Battle Creek. It was quite sad when I visited independently as a teenager and saw the drug and alcohol problems, just kids with nothing to do. I had been totally shielded from all of that.

How is the stewardship of the Lakes going? I seem to remember that Superior was totally polluted to the point of killing everything in it, but I might be misremembering.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Mar '15 17:35
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Haha, my Dad was a manager at Kellogg's and I went on tours of the factory. Used to come home with reams and reams of that old-fashioned "computer paper", printed on dot matrix printers. I believe they still hold the 'Longest Breakfast Table in the World' festival annually. We knew some lovely people in Battle Creek. It was quite sad when I visited i ...[text shortened]... or was totally polluted to the point of killing everything in it, but I might be misremembering.
    They indeed have issues. There are a number of invasive species of fish and molluscs that are invading the lakes brought in on ocean going ships that dump their ballast in the lakes. Also a lot of effluent from farming and the number of big cities situated on them. Lake Erie is having big issues with green algae in large parts of it that are causing huge problems for the fish populations. Then their are the Nuclear plants on some of the lakes that although they say aren't impacting one does have to wonder why some fish have been caught near them with "unusual" features. They are an important source of fresh drinking water for a very large population of Canada and the USA as we both share them and sometimes because of that (two countries having ownership and as such stewardship) the laws can vary between the two. Making some things legal in the US but not Canada and vice versa that impact on the system. Now having said that they (the two countries) for the most part, do cooperate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree