General Forum

General Forum

  1. Joined
    06 Jul '12
    Moves
    24330
    11 Dec '12 17:41
    I wish each of you a MERRY CHRISTMAS


    The Christmas tradition of giving can be a powerful reminder of the gifts Jesus Christ has freely given the world — repentance, resurrection and a pathway back to our Heavenly Father. The scriptures make it clear that the Savior accomplished this through much tribulation, sacrifice and indescribable suffering, and that He decided to do so voluntarily, long before the world began.

    This incredible willingness to accomplish such a remarkable act of love should be at the heart of any meaningful Christmas celebration. The gift that Jesus gave the world through His Atonement can be discerned only through the Spirit. "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God," wrote the Apostle Paul (1 Corinthians 2:12).

    We cannot repay this gift. All that is asked of us is to obey the commandments and willingly give service to each other.

    Put in this context, the annual frenzy to buy the latest gadget or to act with aggression and incivility in pursuit of discounted goods in limited supply seems out of focus. So does the practice, by some, of using consumer debt to buy presents they can't afford.

    There is nothing wrong with giving store-bought presents given with love and forethought. But for much of the world, Christmas has come to center on worldly possessions, rather than on a celebration of the birth of one who saved us from the world.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    11 Dec '12 18:22
    Originally posted by Lloyd E Adkins
    I wish each of you a MERRY CHRISTMAS


    The Christmas tradition of giving can be a powerful reminder of the gifts Jesus Christ has freely given the world — repentance, resurrection and a pathway back to our Heavenly Father. The scriptures make it clear that the Savior accomplished this through much tribulation, sacrifice and indescribable sufferin ...[text shortened]... ly possessions, rather than on a celebration of the birth of one who saved us from the world.
    Credit the source, please.

    http://www.lds.org/church/news/viewpoint-christ-is-at-the-center?lang=eng
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    9664
    11 Dec '12 19:05
    meh

    No one got hurt. Let people be.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    11 Dec '12 19:42
    It's the thought that counts.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    11 Dec '12 21:09
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    It's the thought that counts.
    I wish people would think before they thought.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    11 Dec '12 21:19
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

    I wish people would think before they thought.
    Well said.
  7. Subscriberrookie54online
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Joined
    09 Mar '08
    Moves
    139859
    12 Dec '12 05:06
    Originally posted by Lloyd E Adkins
    All that is asked of us is to obey the commandments.
    here ya go...

    get all the big bosses together,
    and have em decide upon the rules...
    because the way you've got it sorted now,
    the whole world iz boned and blue...

    a unanimous decision on what's good to eat,
    and whether i'll be caned or staffed...
    make the rules the same for all,
    until then, i'll just point and laugh...
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    12 Dec '12 05:31
    Originally posted by apathist
    meh

    No one got hurt. Let people be.
    Well said
  9. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    38013
    12 Dec '12 07:35
    Who woulda thunk it. Now, you have to have courage to be so non-PC as to display your CHRISTMAS tree where people can see it through the front window. Doing something bold like that will get your house molotoved these days.
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    55013
    12 Dec '12 07:48
    Originally posted by Lloyd E Adkins
    I wish each of you a MERRY CHRISTMAS


    The Christmas tradition of giving can be a powerful reminder of the gifts Jesus Christ has freely given the world — repentance, resurrection and a pathway back to our Heavenly Father. The scriptures make it clear that the Savior accomplished this through much tribulation, sacrifice and indescribable sufferin ...[text shortened]... ly possessions, rather than on a celebration of the birth of one who saved us from the world.
    Merry Christmas to you too sir.
  11. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    38013
    12 Dec '12 07:50
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Merry Christmas to you too sir.
    And a happy Winter Solstice to you too, you sanctimonious, oppressive, homophobic, human rights-hating, Christian right wing zealot!



    Guards!



    SEIZE HIM!! 😠
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Joined
    22 Dec '11
    Moves
    19999
    12 Dec '12 07:531 edit
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Who woulda thunk it. Now, you have to have courage to be so non-PC as to display your CHRISTMAS tree where people can see it through the front window. Doing something bold like that will get your house molotoved these days.
    Now that's not really true is it?
  13. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    38013
    12 Dec '12 08:05
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Now that's not really true is it?
    Here in the grand ol' USA? You betcha. Every word is absolute fact.

    I don't have any internet sources to cite, but, let's just say the last time I stepped out on the patio to smoke a cig, I looked down the street to see every house reduced to a pile of smoldering ashes, except for Higgenbaum's house... which was always easy to spot... what with their stupid maypole in the front yard and all.

    Damn Higgenbaums. One day when they least expect it... if I have any say in the matter... they will get their comeuppance.... 😠

    Season's Greetings, by the way.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Joined
    22 Dec '11
    Moves
    19999
    12 Dec '12 10:06
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Here in the grand ol' USA? You betcha. Every word is absolute fact.

    I don't have any internet sources to cite, but, let's just say the last time I stepped out on the patio to smoke a cig, I looked down the street to see every house reduced to a pile of smoldering ashes, except for Higgenbaum's house... which was always easy to spot... what with t ...[text shortened]... matter... they will get their comeuppance.... 😠

    Season's Greetings, by the way.
    And a Merry Christmas n Happy New Year to you and yours.

    If such a thing is possible with a Pyromaniac Pagan in the street.🙂
  15. out on bail
    Joined
    20 Jun '09
    Moves
    12298
    12 Dec '12 10:51
    Originally posted by rookie54
    here ya go...

    get all the big bosses together,
    and have em decide upon the rules...
    because the way you've got it sorted now,
    the whole world iz boned and blue...

    a unanimous decision on what's good to eat,
    and whether i'll be caned or staffed...
    make the rules the same for all,
    until then, i'll just point and laugh...
    Roses are reddish,
    Violets are blueish.
    If it weren't for Jesus,
    We'd all be Jewish.
Back to Top