1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '14 21:43
    Originally posted by redbadger
    its never to soon for a Scots joke so were is Robbie Carrobie
    I should point out that my mother was Scotish and I was initially schooled near Glasgow.
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 00:49
    Originally posted by divegeester
    CP you seem to be confusing the situation of the American war of independence with the Scotish situation of wanting contemporary political independence. It's worth remembering that there are 59 Scotish MPs sitting in Westminster and while they can vote on matters English, the English MPs cannot vote on matters Scotish.
    I appreciate knowing that. For me, it's just a no brainer independance or codependence, or however you'd describe the set up. 😕

BTW I love the English people, it's powers and principalities I struggle against. I think you knew that.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 00:50
    Originally posted by phil3000
    lol, Danke .
    Bitte 🙂
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 00:51
    Originally posted by phil3000
    If it wasn't for "my kind " you would be typing in French.
    Okay, okay, you win 😕
    ANYTHING but French!
    *snooty laugh* Uh huh huh huh
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 02:16
    I should point out that my mother was Scotish and I was initially schooled near Glasgow.
    How many initials do you know?
  6. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 11:33
    I was brought up on the mean streets of Berwick hills.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 12:29
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I BTW I love the English people, it's powers and principalities I struggle against.
    What are you referring to as England's "powers and principalities"?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 16:041 edit
    He used the contraction "it's", meaning "it is", not the possessive "its".

Read the post again with this new-found knowledge.

And regarding the thread title, it's always too soon for *bad* Scotland jokes.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 16:28
    Originally posted by coquette
    It's outrageous to have the nerve to vote for independence. They should have a violent bloody revolution, the old fashioned way.
    Had the colonist voted for independence back in the 1700's, they most likely would have voted against it.

The minority of the population ran the rebellion. The majority are often duped with promises of safety and protection and the ease of the status quo.
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 18:061 edit
    Q: How many Scots does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: Just one - so long as he's standing at the North Pole and the socket has a rotational motion opposite that of the Earth. But it will take three days.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 21:262 edits
    How many Scotts does it take to change a light bulb?

It takes a foriegn company to make the light bulb and an Englishman to be paid to install it, all courtesy of the tax payer.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 21:39
    Originally posted by whodey
    How many Scotts does it take to change a light bulb?

It takes a foriegn company to make the light bulb and an Englishman to be paid to install it, all courtesy of the tax payer.
    😴
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 23:582 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    Had the colonist voted for independence back in the 1700's, they most likely would have voted against it.

The minority of the population ran the rebellion. The majority are often duped with promises of safety and protection and the ease of the status quo.
    That's probably true. But...

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States." -- The Declaration of Independence, 1776

By the time King George got around to his "repeated injuries and usurpations", there was simply no other path to take against him but war, forced upon the Colonies in April of 1775. A war which we very nearly lost. Our vote for independence came at the Continental Congress in 1776. A popular vote would have taken too long, and time was of the essence, since Britain was already sending more and more troops to quell the rebellion. What moved most Colonists toward Independence was the rejection of the Olive Branch Petition (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Olive_Branch_Petition) of July 8, 1775, which came almost a full year before the Declaration of Independence, answered by "A Proclamation for Suppressing Rebellion and Sedition" (http://www.britannia.com/history/docs/procreb.html) on August 23rd. At this point it was clear that it was "Independence or Bust" for the Colonists. A poll taken then would have shown overwhelming support for Independence.

But yes, "the people" can be very slow to act. This is why we elect "representatives", to represent our interests. Too bad they often get waylaid by their dreams of avarice.

I doubt the Queen can hardly be held responsible for any "abuses and usurpations" against Scotland. The two countries have been amiable for centuries now.
  14. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 00:40
    Not just England's elite power money mongers, but the whole global enchilada. 🙂
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 01:011 edit
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Not just England's elite power money mongers, but the whole global enchilada. 🙂
    Talking of world domination; The illuminati were Italian but nobody ever hassles the Italians, have you noticed that?

Edit: are Italian...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree