General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    14 Mar '16 14:24
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35786771

    What a load of crap.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    14 Mar '16 16:06
    Originally posted by Seitse
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35786771

    What a load of crap.
    'Why are you here?'
  3. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    14 Mar '16 16:20
    Originally posted by Seitse
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35786771

    What a load of crap.
    Really? You don't think they will attempt to upload the neuronet of a human brain to a computer? I'm calling it "neuronet" for lack of a better word.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    14 Mar '16 16:29
    Originally posted by josephw
    Really? You don't think they will attempt to upload the neuronet of a human brain to a computer? I'm calling it "neuronet" for lack of a better word.
    I think that without the endocrine system, all they can upload is a simulation
    of certain traits of a human. We are our 'gut', for a lack of a better word,
    so without that part there's human.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    14 Mar '16 17:12
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I think that without the endocrine system, all they can upload is a simulation
    of certain traits of a human. We are our 'gut', for a lack of a better word,
    so without that part there's human.
    Au contraire: We are our immaterial beings
    i.e., our minds and memory centers and volitions which are the decision makers within our souls.
    Our material bodies are temporal homes for our immaterial beings until our brain waves cease.
    Then our souls are transported to one of two addresses which we choose for eternity.
  6. Standard memberHand of Hecate
    Merciless Vagabond
    Slowly Dying
    Joined
    08 Feb '05
    Moves
    14626
    14 Mar '16 17:37
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Au contraire: We are our immaterial beings
    i.e., our minds and memory centers and volitions which are the decision makers within our souls.
    Our material bodies are temporal homes for our immaterial beings until our brain waves cease.
    Then our souls are transported to one of two addresses which we choose for eternity.
    Nice post GB. I don't agree with it as it is my opinion we only get one kick at the can. However, it's an honest and GB original thought rather than some random quote or obtuse comment. Wish there was more of this from you.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    10600
    14 Mar '16 17:42
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Au contraire: We are our immaterial beings
    i.e., our minds and memory centers and volitions which are the decision makers within our souls.
    Our material bodies are temporal homes for our immaterial beings until our brain waves cease.
    Then our souls are transported to one of two addresses which we choose for eternity.
    Is one of those addresses Mrs Miggin's Pie and Mash shop?
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    14 Mar '16 17:59
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I think that without the endocrine system, all they can upload is a simulation
    of certain traits of a human. We are our 'gut', for a lack of a better word,
    so without that part there's human.
    And you can't simulate an endocrine system because.. oh no wait you can simulate that too.
  9. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Joined
    09 Mar '08
    Moves
    138505
    14 Mar '16 18:09
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Nice post GB. I don't agree with it as it is my opinion we only get one kick at the can. However, it's an honest and GB original thought rather than some random quote or obtuse comment. Wish there was more of this from you.
    dammit...

    now is not the time for you to grow up and be all logical and stuff...
    you've got an excellent collection of entrails stuck between yer teeth,
    show em off!!!
  10. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    14 Mar '16 20:23
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    And you can't simulate an endocrine system because.. oh no wait you can simulate that too.
    You can simulate, basically, everything. However, it is not the collection
    of guts, sweat, hormones, appetites, and randomness which originate the
    only feature of humans which cannot be found in animals: the conviction
    to pursue impossibles despite the evidence in the contrary.

    Don't worry, your techno overlords are safe from my mockery.
  11. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    14 Mar '16 20:51
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I think that without the endocrine system, all they can upload is a simulation
    of certain traits of a human. We are our 'gut', for a lack of a better word,
    so without that part there's human.
    Is there a computer that has the capacity to hold every thought a single human ever thunk? Every visual and auditory memory? Every smell, touch and taste?

    Essentially, we're talking about the transference of the actual consciousness of an individual to a machine. Plug it into the internet and then what would we get? The antichrist? 😉
  12. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    14 Mar '16 21:39
    Originally posted by Seitse
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35786771

    What a load of crap.
    I've always been somewhat put off by (what I perceive to be) the underhandedness of those who write such essays.

    Tristan Quinn is given credit for producing the show upon which the article is based and the magazine seems to give him the byline on this article as well.

    Specifically, his painfully obvious stab at counter-intuitiveness in his use of the descriptive "softly spoken" applied to the person behind the story, Dmitry Itskov.
    What? Itskov should be 'bombastic,' or 'supremely arrogant'?

    I know it is petty, but thinly veiled attempts to lend legitimacy to a story through such pedantic displays serve nothing more than to take away from the point rather than add to it.

    For that reason alone, I call it a load of crap.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    14 Mar '16 22:00
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Nice post GB. I don't agree with it as it is my opinion we only get one kick at the can. However, it's an honest and GB original thought rather than some random quote or obtuse comment. Wish there was more of this from you.
    "The unexamined life is not worth living." ~Socrates:
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Joined
    09 Mar '08
    Moves
    138505
    14 Mar '16 22:18
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "The unexamined life is not worth living." ~Socrates:
    the sound of the hydrogen escaping
    from the dirigible
    is exceeded
    only by the subsequent explosion...
  15. Standard memberHand of Hecate
    Merciless Vagabond
    Slowly Dying
    Joined
    08 Feb '05
    Moves
    14626
    14 Mar '16 22:42
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "The unexamined life is not worth living." ~Socrates:
    Hear that? It's the sound of inevitability. You're destined to be burned at a stake fashioned from olive branches.
Back to Top