General Forum

Transit

SubscriberTrev33
General 19 Apr '20 00:07
  1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 00:07
    Reading about Ecuadors horrible covid-19 experience got me thinking, is there anywhere you've been to more than once without actually seeing the place?

Guayaquil, which appears to be at the centre of the outbreak there is a place I've been to at least 4 times without actually venturing out of the bus station. Between travelling in S. America and living in Peru on the tourist visa (border hop) I had to travel there as that's as far as a Peruvian bus will go into Ecuador but never had the desire to actually see the city. Maybe should have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-52324218
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    surviving
    Covid-19
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 01:06
    @trev33 said
    Reading about Ecuadors horrible covid-19 experience got me thinking, is there anywhere you've been to more than once without actually seeing the place?

Guayaquil, which appears to be at the centre of the outbreak there is a place I've been to at least 4 times without actually venturing out of the bus station. Between travelling in S. America and living in Peru on the touris ...[text shortened]... actually see the city. Maybe should have.

The misfortune of stopovers at L.A. airport.
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 01:07
    flew thru paris twice, never left the airport
    spent a week in philidelphia, at the navy barracks, never checked out the city

when i think back, maybe that was a good thingie
  4. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 01:52
    London, Heathrow, last month. I tried to stay. I really did.

I’ll be back.
  5. PFJ Judea AD33
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 06:35
    @trev33 said

Guayaquil, which appears to be at the centre of the outbreak there is a place I've been to at least 4 times without actually venturing out of the bus station. Between travelling in S. America and living in Peru on the touris ...[text shortened]... actually see the city. Maybe should have.

Only Atlanta comes to mind, although there are several places where I stopped over once and never got to see on that visit.
  6. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 08:44
    I have three (THREE) guide books for Istanbul. And they're the same book. But I haven't visited Istanbul. I've been to the airport twice but not managed to venture out. Not yet!
  7. Standard memberbadradger
    Scallywag
    the pie shop
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 08:44
    London worked there 50/60 times neve got a chance to take in the sightes.
  8. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 09:17
    Shannon Airport, Ireland several times. Never ventured outside.
    It'll happen, someday.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 10:11
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Had a change of flights no time for a visit
  10. Standard memberFMF
    Studying God figures
    Human Condition East
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 10:15
    I was in an airport transit lounge along the Persian Gulf somewhere for 2-3 hours at some point in the 1990s and I probably could not work out which country it was ~ or even what month it might have been ~ even if I really wanted to. If I were a character in a police procedural TV series, it's the kind of thing that the plot would rely upon us being rather easily, and in a somewhat unlikely fashion, able to figure out which airport it was and remember things very clearly, even though it was 20-30 years ago. Just saying.
  11. PFJ Judea AD33
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 10:18
    @wolfe63 said
    Shannon Airport, Ireland several times. Never ventured outside.
    It'll happen, someday.
    I’ve had the good fortune to visit several times always on business. West Ireland is charming and beautiful. Galway is old worldly dreamy. Must go back.
  12. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 11:56
    London and Paris, not nearly a kiss.

several US cities too, Atlanta, Kansas City etc. Back in the day, nonstop flights were rare
  13. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 11:57
    @neilarini said
    I have three (THREE) guide books for Istanbul. And they're the same book. But I haven't visited Istanbul. I've been to the airport twice but not managed to venture out. Not yet!
    Are the guide books just for Istanbul or all of turkey?
  14. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    19 Apr '20 12:25
    @trev33 said
    Are the guide books just for Istanbul or all of turkey?
    Er....that would be just Istanbul. They're the top ten guides so do contain top ten exclusions (which includes Troy - I love history).

I love travelling and shop regularly on amazon so I add cheap second hand guides when I feel like it. Last year I had a six hour hold over in Paris so dug out my Paris guide and that's when I realized I had not one, not two but three guides for Istanbul.