1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Dec '17 12:05
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    As soon as I find the photo again, I'll post a link.

What you CAN see is a trail of footprints on the lunar surface around a landing site on the moon going to the rover and to sites a distance away where there are science instruments set up. The trail is, of course, bigger than the individual footprints.

EDIT: Here is the page on the NASA website, ...[text shortened]... , be sure to click on the links to "Show Only the Left" to see the newest, more clear, pictures.
    Thank you for pointing that out.

In fact I had menatlly added from the earth, assuming that the OP was never on the lunar orbiter.

The fact is that an earth based telscope can not distinguish features below several dozen meters. Even from Hubble which is an excellent instrument, already covers 10% of the distance and has not to fight with atmospheric turbulence can't find footsteps...

Have I really to admit of believeing the earth to be a sphere, the moon to be another sphere some 380000km distant?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '17 12:59

What you CAN see is a trail of footprints on the lunar surface around a landing site on the moon going to the rover and to sites a distance away where there are science instruments set up. The trail is, of course, bigger than the individual footprints.

EDIT: Here is the page on the NASA website, ...[text shortened]... , be sure to click on the links to "Show Only the Left" to see the newest, more clear, pictures.
    Nice article and great photos.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Dec '17 13:591 edit
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 19:411 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Relax sir, I don't think he will travel in cargo.
    LOL...I don't think anyone would be traveling in cargo...Funny stuff though!!!

-VR
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 22:31
    EDIT: Here is the page on the NASA website, showing three Apollo landing sites.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/news/apollo-sites.html

These pics are a long way off from the claim

You can literally SEE the footprints on the surface with a telescope

πŸ™„
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Dec '17 22:36
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    These pics are a long way off from the claim

You can literally SEE the footprints on the surface with a telescope

πŸ™„
    People will always argue just to argue.

So, then I guess we can lump you in with Freaky as a naysayer?

So are you really arguing that since we can't see a single footprint from the earth, that we never went?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Dec '17 00:18
    People will always argue just to argue.

So, then I guess we can lump you in with Freaky as a naysayer?

So are you really arguing that since we can't see a single footprint from the earth, that we never went?
    What? 😲

I was just questioning Ashiitaka's claim.
    Of course men went to the moon.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 20:581 edit
    Read it again.
    That was an attempt at humour.

The only thing wrong with Trumps's announcement is he didn't say how much money they will get to do the job. I guess he figures Elon Musk will do it for him.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 22:23
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    What? 😲

I was just questioning Ashiitaka's claim.
    Of course men went to the moon.
    There are still those who believe man never went to the moon it was all done from a private military base called area 51.

-VR
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 04:48
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    Well, of course it's a conspiracy! You don't think the moon really is large enough for people to walk on, do you? I mean, look at it. You can cover it with your thumb at arm's length! Even at the horizon it's hardly larger than a tall tower - probably smaller than the Vehicle Assembly Building itself. So how could a Saturn possibly land on it?
    And any ...[text shortened]... closer than They want you to believe, we could get there easily. What we can't do is land there.
    Which is closer, the moon or Italy?

The moon, obviously -- I can see the moon from my back yard. I can't see Italy from my back yard.

πŸ˜‰
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 12:12
    Originally posted by @moonbus

The moon, obviously -- I can see the moon from my back yard. I can't see Italy from my back yard.

πŸ˜‰
    You just don't have a mirror high enough.....
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 12:491 edit

πŸ˜‰
    Yeah - and unlike the moon, you can actually walk around in Italy. I've been there, five times. I've never been to the moon. What more proof do you want?
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 14:00

πŸ˜‰
    ROFLMAO...Now that was Funny!!!

-VR
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 14:55

Those photo's show lines but not actual footprints which the conspiracy assswipes will say, just robots did that or some such crap not realizing there was no robotic technology in the 60's capable of doing ANYTHING on the moon much less make tracks on its own.
    But the images shows definite human activity for any reasonable person.
    From Earth the Hubble splits a 360 degree circle into about 25 million parts and the moon is roughly a quarter mil away so 500,000 miles diameter orbit times Pi making the full circle roughly 1,5 million miles around and that shows Hubble can only resolve about 150 foot features at best which is something like 50 meters so even if it were ten times more powerful it could not resolve the tracks much less footprints. The orbiter at 30 odd km or 20 odd miles would take a MUCH better resolution image simply because it is so close, so 20 miles X2, 40 mile diameter circle times three, about 120 mile diameter circle and we can guess say 1/3 meter res so metric circle about 200 km so the lens did about one part in 600,000 which is about 2 arc second res, so it was a small scope. If it had been the hubble, it would have at that range given a res of about 6 MILLIMETERS, about 50 times more res than that little scope on the orbiter, roughly 1/4 inch which would have shown not only the footprints but any deterioration caused by day/night cycles and cosmic ray impact, and so forth.
  15. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 15:12
    and NASA doesn't reveal their own measurements regarding the moon being hollow..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree