1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 04:26
    For the Good Book that was Adapted Well for the Screen category, I nominate One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

For the Good Book that was Adapted Badly for the Screen category, I nominate The Choirboys.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 08:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    For the [b]Good Book that was Adapted Well for the Screen category, I nominate One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

For the Good Book that was Adapted Badly for the Screen category, I nominate The Choirboys.[/b]
    For the Good Book that was Adapted Well for the Screen category, I nominate
    Life of Pi
    ... great novel which I thought could not be put on the screen.

For the Good Book that was Adapted Badly for the Screen category, I nominate
    Jack Reacher (based on One Shot). How could they do that to him (Jack)???
  3. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 09:16
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    For the [b]Good Book that was Adapted Well for the Screen category, I nominate
    Life of Pi
    ... great novel which I thought could not be put on the screen.

For the Good Book that was Adapted Badly for the Screen category, I nominate
    Jack Reacher (based on One Shot). How could they do that to him (Jack)???[/b]
    For a Good Book that was Adapted Well for the Screen category, I nominate 'Gone with the Wind' and, if I may suggest one more, 'The Name of the Rose' (Umberto Eco).

I can't recall any book that was badly adapted for the screen, at least not at the moment.
  4. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 10:40
    Originally posted by lolof
    For a Good Book that was Adapted Well for the Screen category, I nominate 'Gone with the Wind' and, if I may suggest one more, 'The Name of the Rose' (Umberto Eco).

I can't recall any book that was badly adapted for the screen, at least not at the moment.
    good book I nominate Do Androids dream of electric sheep(Blade Runner)

bad book I nominate Catch 22 really disappointed with the film
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 11:36
    Good book adapted well: Mister Roberts

Good book adapted badly: The Great Gatsby, in all of its reincarnations
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 14:141 edit
    Witches of Eastwick, novel by John Updike was adapted badly. Or better to say unfaithfully, nevertheless the film is good. So it's been adapted good after all.

The novel is feminist, the film is anti-feminist.
    I loved both the novel and the movie.

Topkapi - good film adaptation of Eric Ambler's novel "Light Of The Day" (loosely).

The Mask of Dimitrios great novel by Eric Ambler, made into film directed by Ian Negulesco with Peter Lorre in star role.
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 17:021 edit
    Book (bad or good? -- haven't read it) adapted well: Fight Club

Good book (but by no means great) badly adapted: The Beach
  8. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 17:20
    Good books - good films:

Marathon Man (author William Goldman - actors Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier, Roy Scheider)

Brokeback Mountain (author Annie Proulx - actors Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal)
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 08:111 edit
    What about "Ender's game"? Good, bad, indifferent? Orson Scott Card's series. I read them all.
  10. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Jul '15 10:051 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What about "Ender's game"? Good, bad, indifferent? Orson Scott Card's series. I read them all.
    Enders Game: I would say fair to good adaption

Good adaption: La tête en friche

bad adaption: The mname of the Rose, the book is really well, the film at best confusing and overly brutal.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Jul '15 18:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    For the [b]Good Book that was Adapted Well for the Screen category, I nominate One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

For the Good Book that was Adapted Badly for the Screen category, I nominate The Choirboys.[/b]
    Good book adapted Badly: The Lord of the Rings. It was a magnificent, deeply rich book which launched a whole sub-genre, and they were quite exciting Standard Fantasy Fare films... which is a bad adaptation of the former.

Really, if they'd just shot the films, and left off the pretension that they are in any real way an adaptation of the Tolkien Middle-Earth univers, they'd have been fine. But no, they had to pretend that this battle-scene-focused, dwarf-tossing, admittedly pretty but no more than that schlock lives up to The Lord of the Rings. Well, it doesn't, not by a long shot. It's a different genre, really. It's Tolkien Epigone rather than Tolkien himself. It's a good adaptation of Feist, not of Tolkien.
  12. Subscriberptobler
    Patzer
    Canberra
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 04:08
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Good book adapted Badly: The Lord of the Rings. It was a magnificent, deeply rich book which launched a whole sub-genre, and they were quite exciting Standard Fantasy Fare films... which is a bad adaptation of the former.

Really, if they'd just shot the films, and left off the pretension that they are in any real way an adaptation of the Tolkien Midd ...[text shortened]... 's Tolkien Epigone rather than Tolkien himself. It's a good adaptation of Feist, not of Tolkien.
    It's been a very long time since I read Lord of the Rings - about 37 years - but I thought the films were unbelievably good - I can't believe how well he did
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '15 10:531 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Enders Game: I would say fair to good adaption

Good adaption: La tête en friche

bad adaption: The mname of the Rose, the book is really well, the film at best confusing and overly brutal.
    Yes but he did fulfill the prophesy🙂

Do you know if another one of Eco's, Foucault's pendulum ever made it to the big screen? Did you read it?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 09:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yes but he did fulfill the prophesy🙂

Do you know if another one of Eco's, Foucault's pendulum ever made it to the big screen? Did you read it?
    Yes, it was fascinating, and no, I've never seen a film version, I would be very interested to know if there is one, too.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 10:00
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue

Really, if they'd just shot the films, and left off the pretension that they are in any real way an adaptation of the Tolkien Midd ...[text shortened]... 's Tolkien Epigone rather than Tolkien himself. It's a good adaptation of Feist, not of Tolkien.
    Yes, as epic as the films feel, they really don't do Tolkien justice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree