1. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    14 Jun '13 11:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Geek! You are all geeks! 😛
    I'm not a geek. It's all I can do to turn the bloody thing on.

I'd be like Harry Redknapp when he was arrested in a dawn swoop
    by British police over Soccer corruption.

They took his laptop to examine it. It was a present from his son.
    Harry was released later and was asked in a press conference about
    police taking his laptop.

Harry said, "I'm 62 , they can have it if they like, I don't even know how to turn it on".
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '13 12:08
    You play chess dont you? When was chess ever considered cool.
  3. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    14 Jun '13 12:191 edit
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    As I told you, I just bought the laptop.
    I am not technically minded. I wouldn't
    know the difference between Chrome,
    Firefox, Ubuntu or anything else and I
    certainly never associated any kind of
    class distinction between them all.

What I have works fine so I'll leave well
    enough alone. I am just an ordinary man
    after all.

I'm not the NSA.
    You might not know the NSA, Johnny, but they know YOU. Remember, you're one of those "ferners" we fear and therefore watch....verrrrry closely and with great care so beware!
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Jun '13 17:25
    Geek! You are all geeks! 😛
    we're in a thread debating the merits of computer operating systems on a chess site. ship sailed loooong ago.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jun '13 17:55
    tried linux a while back, was difficult to get the necessary drivers for wifi cards etc, went back to see how things have progressed and what a surprise, Ububtu is just now pure awesome, one of my Pc's running like a dream on it. Nvidia drivers were provided as standard for graphics, zillions of free software, more apps than you can get through in a lifetime, new graphic interface, and its all without charge, let the good times roll.
    What about sound recording software? For instance, I have a nice audio I/O from a company called RME, my unit is called the Hammerfall, 16 or 24 bit and 96,000 samples per second, records really well! 8 ins and 8 outs, the downside is no mic preamps but I have a decent mixer for that. I use Cakewalk Sonar 8 as the DAW. Have you seen anything like that level of sophistication in Ubuntu land?
  6. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    14 Jun '13 19:06
    Originally posted by Phranny
    You might not know the NSA, Johnny, but they know YOU. Remember, you're one of those "ferners" we fear and therefore watch....verrrrry closely and with great care so beware!
    What's a ferner?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '13 22:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What about sound recording software? For instance, I have a nice audio I/O from a company called RME, my unit is called the Hammerfall, 16 or 24 bit and 96,000 samples per second, records really well! 8 ins and 8 outs, the downside is no mic preamps but I have a decent mixer for that. I use Cakewalk Sonar 8 as the DAW. Have you seen anything like that level of sophistication in Ubuntu land?
    You need to check with hardware manufacturers if they have Linux drivers, if not you may be able to run it under linux using a program called wine which lets you run Windows based programs.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '13 22:39
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    we're in a thread debating the merits of computer operating systems on a chess site. ship sailed loooong ago.
    Im a geek, how could this happen, ahhhhhhhh the pain of reality.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    14 Jun '13 22:53
    Im a geek, how could this happen, ahhhhhhhh the pain of reality.
    I'm one of these www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dork...I think and I'd much rather be that than one of you.😉
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '13 00:28
    You need to check with hardware manufacturers if they have Linux drivers, if not you may be able to run it under linux using a program called wine which lets you run Windows based programs.
    I don't mean the RME thing exactly, just any kind of sound recording software out there stronger than Audacity?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '13 01:02
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    I'm one of these www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dork...I think and I'd much rather be that than one of you.😉
    we are all in the same canoe, dorks, geeks, super geeks, its too painful to contemplate.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '13 01:083 edits
    I don't mean the RME thing exactly, just any kind of sound recording software out there stronger than Audacity?
    I dunno, i have not searched, if you want to run ubuntu you could partition your disc, keep widows for your audio software and Linux for your everyday stuff. I have an emu1616m, it has 24-bit/192kHz converters and has class A-preamps, it has its own software mixing desk with lots of plug ins. To do actual mixing though i use Adobe Audition. If you are serious about Linux though, you should check out Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, it seems like there are drivers available ,

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-RME
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jun '13 13:012 edits
    soon ubuntu will be available for android phones (if its not already), meaning your phone and your desktop will be one.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '13 15:064 edits
    soon ubuntu will be available for android phones (if its not already), meaning your phone and your desktop will be one.
    You mean you could control your desktop from your phone or use your dt as the heavy hitter behind the phone, like your own personal cloud?

I can see that, where the DT has a couple of TERAbytes of storage and any phone is limited to around 64 gigs max, at least for now.

I guess sometime in the future, even that would not apply, terabytes in your cellphone. That would put your dt and phone on an equal footing except for the size of the screen. Even that might not be true, remember the movie Zardoz? it showed a guy wearing a ring with a projector that made a 3 foot high display on a wall. That is certainly possible, cell phone pico projectors. They already have picoprojectors, now all they need to do is squish it down to cell phone size.

You know how cell phone video's are shaking up abusing police forces around the world? The typical reaction of the cops is to confiscate the cell phones making the damning videos but with a good communications link, it could be live wiring it to your dt and from there instantly to the whole internet making it impossible for the cops to stop the abuse being witnessed by millions of people, even if they shot the protester and ground his phone under their feet it would be too late and ALL that would be in the public domain.

The cell phone is a great equalizer, as important for our era as the venerable colt 45 was for the 19th century.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree