General Forum

General Forum

  1. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    13 Jun '13 12:103 edits
    tried linux a while back, was difficult to get the necessary drivers for wifi cards etc, went back to see how things have progressed and what a surprise, Ububtu is just now pure awesome, one of my Pc's running like a dream on it. Nvidia drivers were provided as standard for graphics, zillions of free software, more apps than you can get through in a lifetime, new graphic interface, and its all without charge, let the good times roll.
  2. Dublin Ireland
    Joined
    31 Oct '12
    Moves
    14235
    13 Jun '13 12:22
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    tried linux a while back, was difficult to get the necessary drivers for wifi cards etc, went back to see how things have progressed and what a surprise, Ububtu is just now pure awesome, one of my Pc's running like a dream on it. Nvidia drivers were provided as standard for graphics, zillions of free software, more apps than you can get through in a lifetime, new graphic interface, and its all without charge, let the good times roll.
    I am not technically minded and so I have to admit
    that I never heard of it Robbie.

    I thought you were speaking the language of the Masai.

    For all I know Ubuntu could be the name they gave to a rogue lion.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Joined
    21 Feb '01
    Moves
    1888
    13 Jun '13 12:562 edits
    Windows XP support ends next year, so if you have an old machine on XP and don't want to upgrade the hardware/pay for a new Windows license, Ubuntu would be perfect.

    edit : Microsoft stop supporting XP next year, not RHP.
  4. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    22725
    13 Jun '13 13:36
    Originally posted by Russ
    Windows XP support ends next year, so if you have an old machine on XP and don't want to upgrade the hardware/pay for a new Windows license, Ubuntu would be perfect.
    Okay, I went to the site to download. I am not techno savy. There seemed to be many choices. I have windows 7 on my laptop and no desire for 8 as I have heard it is a mess. Would Ubuntu be a good choice for me and if so, what should I download and will I need to matriculate for an advanced IT degree to figure out how to use it?
  5. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    526109
    13 Jun '13 13:44
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Okay, I went to the site to download. I am not techno savy. There seemed to be many choices. I have windows 7 on my laptop and no desire for 8 as I have heard it is a mess. Would Ubuntu be a good choice for me and if so, what should I download and will I need to matriculate for an advanced IT degree to figure out how to use it?
    In fact I found it easy (I am using Ubuntu on my old laptop).

    You can get it from ubuntu.com directly. Just download the image, burn a CD or DVD and start the computer using that. Most things the softare will do for you automatically.
  6. Dublin Ireland
    Joined
    31 Oct '12
    Moves
    14235
    13 Jun '13 13:45
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Okay, I went to the site to download. I am not techno savy. There seemed to be many choices. I have windows 7 on my laptop and no desire for 8 as I have heard it is a mess. Would Ubuntu be a good choice for me and if so, what should I download and will I need to matriculate for an advanced IT degree to figure out how to use it?
    You'd be in the same situation as me.

    I have a Toshiba laptop with windows 7.

    I didn't get windows 8 either because I heard it was rubbish.
    I am happy enough with windows 7 and have never heard of
    Ubuntu.

    I thought it was the name of a tribe in Kenya.
  7. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    13105
    13 Jun '13 13:49
    "Ubuntu" is a Xhosa word for "humanity". I know because I do Xhosa at school.
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Joined
    21 Feb '01
    Moves
    1888
    13 Jun '13 14:142 edits
    Just to clarify something ambiguous about my earlier statement, Microsoft stop supporting XP next year, not RHP.
  9. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    13 Jun '13 15:082 edits
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Okay, I went to the site to download. I am not techno savy. There seemed to be many choices. I have windows 7 on my laptop and no desire for 8 as I have heard it is a mess. Would Ubuntu be a good choice for me and if so, what should I download and will I need to matriculate for an advanced IT degree to figure out how to use it?
    ponderables advice is best, download the ISO image and burn it to a disk and try it first to see if you like it. It also depends on what you use your laptop for? If you are simply surfing, listening to music, word processing, playing chess, then yes it would be perfect for you, if you have hardware that relies on specialised windows drivers, like i dunno, an external sound card for recording high quality audio, then it might not be for you. Linux forums and help are excellent, there is a whole army of supergeeks out there dying to help you, free of charge.
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    13 Jun '13 15:15
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    You'd be in the same situation as me.

    I have a Toshiba laptop with windows 7.

    I didn't get windows 8 either because I heard it was rubbish.
    I am happy enough with windows 7 and have never heard of
    Ubuntu.

    I thought it was the name of a tribe in Kenya.
    any self respecting socialist would ditch windows for the GNOME desktop
  11. Dublin Ireland
    Joined
    31 Oct '12
    Moves
    14235
    13 Jun '13 16:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    any self respecting socialist would ditch windows for the GNOME desktop
    So what are you saying?

    I am a capitalist because I use windows 7
    on a Toshiba C 660 D laptop?
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97138
    13 Jun '13 16:35
    Fight, fight, fight.
  13. In your face
    Joined
    21 Aug '04
    Moves
    55993
    13 Jun '13 16:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    tried linux a while back, was difficult to get the necessary drivers for wifi cards etc, went back to see how things have progressed and what a surprise, Ububtu is just now pure awesome, one of my Pc's running like a dream on it. Nvidia drivers were provided as standard for graphics, zillions of free software, more apps than you can get through in a lifetime, new graphic interface, and its all without charge, let the good times roll.
    Let me know when you figure out how to install Sopcast on it. Only thing that annoyed me about Ubuntu 😀
  14. Dublin Ireland
    Joined
    31 Oct '12
    Moves
    14235
    13 Jun '13 16:53
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Fight, fight, fight.
    I'm a capitalist.

    I send in the lower orders to fight the left wing scum that Robbie leads 😀

    You would want me to ruin my Armani suit now would you? 😲
  15. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    13 Jun '13 16:561 edit
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    I'm a capitalist.

    I send in the lower orders to fight the left wing scum that Robbie leads 😀

    You would want me to ruin my Armani suit now would you? 😲
    Capitalist bourgeoisie factory owner! I knew when we had the revolution in France, some of you hid out in Ireland!
Back to Top