1. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 02:29
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    This disturbs me greatly sir.

Civility actually demands that the jam goes on top of the cream, and that the calibre of a gentleman is determined by how dextrously he accomplishes this.

Don't even get me started on rice pudding...
    This could be a pistols at dawn situation...You are in England, I am in Indonesia, so we may have trouble coordinating our dawns. I suggest we both fire a pistol at our respective dawns, then reach consensus as to who won. It would probably be a draw anyway.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 02:32
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Lmfao

Not to mention the Marmite shortage, however I did get the last jar
    People have been killed for less....
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 03:40
    Originally posted by @biffo-konker
    YES!
    How is it that hash browns are now considered to be a part of a traditional English fried breakfast?
    It's a disgrace.No wonder the country has gone to the dogs.
    Absolutely!
    I believe it all started when a B&B in Skegness served "bubble 'n' squeak" with a full English.
    The writing was on the wall ...
  4. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 17:13
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Absolutely!
    I believe it all started when a B&B in Skegness served "bubble 'n' squeak" with a full English.
    The writing was on the wall ...
    Thats is terrible enough but at least bubble is a proper English delicacy. As an expat,it's all very sad watching the homeland going to wrack and ruin.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 17:55
    Originally posted by @indonesia-phil
    This could be a pistols at dawn situation...You are in England, I am in Indonesia, so we may have trouble coordinating our dawns. I suggest we both fire a pistol at our respective dawns, then reach consensus as to who won. It would probably be a draw anyway.
    Let us reflect for a moment sir on The Great Sausage Duel of 1865.

'The opponents in this duel are as incongruous as the choice of weapons. On one side, we have the formidable Otto von Bismarck (1815-1898), the Minister President of Prussia, appointed by and second only to the King himself. On the other side, we have the energetic, clever and contradictory scientist and politician Rudolf Virchow (1821-1902), leader of the Progressive Party in the Prussian legislature (Landtag).'

At the end of a particularly severe attack, Bismarck felt himself personally affronted, and sent seconds to Virchow with a challenge to fight a duel.The man of science was found in his laboratory, hard at work at experiments which had for their object the discovery of a means of destroying trichinæ, which were making great ravages in Germany. “Oh,” said the doctor, “a challenge from Prince Bismarck, eh? Well, well, as I am the challenged party, I suppose I have the choice of weapons. Here they are!” He held up two large sausages, which seemed to be exactly alike. ” One of these sausages,” he said, ” is filled with trichinae—it is deadly. The other is perfectly wholesome. Externally they cannot be told apart. Let His Excellency do me the honor to choose whichever of these he wishes and eat it, and I will eat the other.” Though the proposition was as reasonable as any duelling proposition could be, Prince B.’s representatives refused it. No duel was fought, and no one accused Virchow of cowardice.'

skullsinthestars.com/2014/11/01/the-great-sausage-duel-of-1865/
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 18:41
    Let us reflect for a moment sir on The Great Sausage Duel of 1865.

'The opponents in this duel are as incongruous as the choice of weapons. On one side, we have the formidable Otto von Bismarck (1815-1898), the Minister President of Prussia, appointed by and second only to the King himself. On the other side, we have the energetic, clever and c ...[text shortened]... ccused Virchow of cowardice.'

skullsinthestars.com/2014/11/01/the-great-sausage-duel-of-1865/
    I too would have refused such a challenge on the grounds of my being a vegetarian.
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 19:34
    I too would have refused such a challenge on the grounds of my being a vegetarian.
    I match you sir in your vegetarianism.

Good God, must we draw at everything?
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 21:04
    I match you sir in your vegetarianism.

Good God, must we draw at everything?
    One day it may be revealed that we are in fact the same person. Stranger things have happened. Although I can't think of any at the time of writing...
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 21:37
    One day it may be revealed that we are in fact the same person. Stranger things have happened. Although I can't think of any at the time of writing...
    If we are indeed the same person then we must both adore lashings of rice pudding?
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 21:41
    Where I learnt the Queen's English, it rhymed with "tron", a shorter "o" sound than "gone."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/news/survey-reveals-correct-way-to-pronounce-scone/
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Mar '18 22:371 edit
    People have been killed for less....
    I may b paranoid but I swear I was followed out of the store and the Marmite jar was bugged
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 02:37
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    I may b paranoid but I swear I was followed out of the store and the Marmite jar was bugged
    Be afraid; be very afraid....
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 02:38
    If we are indeed the same person then we must both adore lashings of rice pudding?
    People are complicated.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 03:06
    Skin on or off?
    That is the question!
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Mar '18 08:48
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Skin on or off?
    [b]That
    is the question![/b]
    I usually keep my skin on, when eating rice pudding.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree