1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '23 01:58
    My wife and I once got upgraded from Economy to First Class [leapfroggong Business Class for some reason] on a flight from Narita, Japan, to Jakarta.

Lovely experience: the luxurious room where we waited to board, the wide seat, roomy leg space, the in-flight service, and the personal touches ~ all superb.

But all eye-wateringly expensive. I'd never fork out for it from my own wallet.

Has anyone else had unexpected upgrades?
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '23 02:52
    No, in fact they usually look at me and wonder how i afforded the economy ticket.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '23 03:22
    @trev33 said
    No, in fact they usually look at me and wonder how i afforded the economy ticket.
    Have you ever been upgraded from a bus to an aeroplane?
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '23 03:34
    @fmf said
    Have you ever been upgraded from a bus to an aeroplane?
    I've been downgraded from a 'vip' bus to an ordinary bus.

Moved from a single bed on a bus to share with a Korean girl (ok, i didn't mind that one).

Have slept on a train station floor because no hotels would take me.

Bought a ticket for a 2 hour bus ride along a motorway and end up in a 4 hour minivan taking the dirt roads.

22 hour bus ride beside a sinking toilet.

No, no upgrades. The closest was being given one of the extra legroom seats when i was on crutches.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '23 06:30
    @fmf said
    My wife and I once got upgraded from Economy to First Class [leapfroggong Business Class for some reason] on a flight from Narita, Japan, to Jakarta.

Lovely experience: the luxurious room where we waited to board, the wide seat, roomy leg space, the in-flight service, and the personal touches ~ all superb.

But all eye-wateringly expensive. I'd never fork out for it from my own wallet.

Has anyone else had unexpected upgrades?
    Yes a few times, but only once to first class which was on a BA flight from London to Chicago. It’s was excellent but paying for it is eye-wateringly expensive and I’d never pay for it.

I think upgrading from economy to business is worth the extra but I would use loyalty points often on short haul.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '23 06:32
    @trev33 said

Moved from a single bed on a bus to share with a Korean girl (ok, i didn't mind that one).

Bought a ticket for a 2 hour bus ride along a motorway and end up in a 4 hour minivan taking the dirt roads.

22 hour bus ride beside a sinking toil ...[text shortened]...
    No, no upgrades. The closest was being given one of the extra legroom seats when i was on crutches.
    The life you lead 😄
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    06 Feb '23 08:05
    @trev33 said

22 hour bus ride beside a sinking toil ...[text shortened]...
    And the Rodney Dangerfield Award for "Best Least-Respected World Traveller" goes to: 🐐

😃

-------------

When I was young and intrepid, I experienced a few downgrades as well. Most were self-inflicted.
    I've encouraged my nieces to upgrade at every opportunity; to avoid breakfasts after the bed and to steer clear of all hostile hostels.
    Cheaper sleepers make for sleepy weepers. 😊
  8. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    06 Feb '23 08:151 edit
    My self and a colleague were flying back from Johannesburg and when we boarded the plane we were seated in business class. My company always flew everyone cattle class so this was unusual. We started drinking the free South African 'Champagne' and lord knows how many bottles we got through. Eventually the stewardess said there was no more left on the plane so we fell asleep until landing at Heathrow.
    Looking back I think that was just a polite way of saying you guys have drunk enough, go to sleep.
  9. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    06 Feb '23 14:47
    once i was sent to fill in for a mechanic so he could have a vacation
    the company kept all their maintenance staff at skeleton crew levels
    some sites didn't even have a mechanic, they waited until something broke and then they imported a guy like me to come fix the broken stuff
    it was a two week duty assignment, in virginia beach, virginia
    i flew economy from chicago o'hare to norfolk international
    got there and went to the car rental desk and they didn't have my lil ford whatever that was reserved, so i had to take an upgrade to a lincoln mark VII with a behemoth 5.0L mustang 600hp powerplant
    corinthian leather seats
    power freakin everything

that was a great two weeks
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Feb '23 14:50
    @rookie54 said
    once i was sent to fill in for a mechanic so he could have a vacation
    the company kept all their maintenance staff at skeleton crew levels
    some sites didn't even have a mechanic, they waited until something broke and then they imported a guy like me to come fix the broken stuff
    it was a two week duty assignment, in virginia beach, virginia
    i flew economy from chicago o'h ...[text shortened]... g 600hp powerplant
    corinthian leather seats
    power freakin everything

that was a great two weeks
    Here they are called technicians not mechanics.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree