1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 03:00
    http://tinyurl.com/jnygvp2

Vienna is the world’s best city to live in; Baghdad is the worst, and London, Paris and New York do not even make it into the top 35, according to international research into quality of life.

German-speaking cities dominate the rankings in the 18th Mercer Quality of Life study, with Vienna joined by Zurich, Munich, Düsseldorf and Frankfurt in the top seven.

Paris has tumbled down the league, falling 10 places to 37th, just ahead of London at 39th, almost entirely because of the city’s vulnerability to terrorist attacks.

The study examined social and economic conditions, health, education, housing and the environment, and is used by big companies to assess where they should locate and how much they should pay staff.

Which city have you visited (and not one in which you have lived) that you imagine would be the best place in the world to live?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 05:36
    Originally posted by FMF

[quote]Vienna is the world’s best city to live in; Baghdad is the worst, and London, Paris and New York do not even make it into the top 35, according to international research into quality of life.

German-speaking cities dominate the rankings in the 18th Mercer Quality of Life study, with Vienna joined by Zurich, Munich, Düsseld ...[text shortened]... not one in which you have lived) that you imagine would be the best place in the world to live?
    Best for me, in my medical and familial and financial circumstances, or for some theoretical person?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 05:38
    Originally posted by JS357
    Best for me, in my medical and familial and financial circumstances, or for some theoretical person?
    According to your own criteria.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 06:23
    Originally posted by FMF

[quote]Vienna is the world’s best city to live in; Baghdad is the worst, and London, Paris and New York do not even make it into the top 35, according to international research into quality of life.

German-speaking cities dominate the rankings in the 18th Mercer Quality of Life study, with Vienna joined by Zurich, Munich, Düsseld ...[text shortened]... not one in which you have lived) that you imagine would be the best place in the world to live?
    Vienna and Madrid were two of my favourite European cities but cant imagine living
    in either because my Spanish is poor and my German non-existent.

Fond memories of Brisbane.

Love Italy but the cities stink (not literally).
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 06:301 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Love Italy but the cities stink (not literally).
    Rome is one of my favourite cities, although I've never lived there.

Whilst I like visiting cities, I'm not keen on the idea of living in one. I find them claustrophobic, noisy and invasive. I prefer the countryside; the solitude, the peace and quiet, the wildlife, trees and greenery.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 06:44
    Originally posted by divegeester

Whilst I like visiting cities, I'm not keen on the idea of living in one. I find them claustrophobic, noisy and invasive. I prefer the countryside; the solitude, the peace and quiet, the wildlife, trees and greenery.
    Which provincial British town would you most like to live on the outskirts of?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 07:022 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Which provincial British town would you most like to live on the outskirts of?
    I wouldn't move to be near any town just because of the town, although the UK has so many nice ones. I'd move to be in the rural locale of my choice. For example I might chose to live near Exeter, but not because of Exeter itself, but because I would want to live on or near the Devonshire south coast and still have good motorway links. I'd probably live on Lundy Island in an ideal alternative world.
  8. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 08:47
    I wouldn't move to be near any town just because of the town, although the UK has so many nice ones. I'd move to be in the rural locale of my choice. For example I might chose to live near Exeter, but not because of Exeter itself, but because I would want to live on or near the Devonshire south coast and still have good motorway links. I'd probably live on Lundy Island in an ideal alternative world.
    With a family I would choose one of those beautiful rural places in England - without a family I would live in London.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 13:131 edit

You would love Vancouver Island. It is a tiny paradise. Well, not THAT tiny, it is a couple hundred miles long and 50 miles wide. You get there by ferry to Port Nanimo and there is an inland roadway to the west coast. Idyllic.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 14:14
    Kyoto (Japan) was an amazing place to visit. (Though a little bit touristy).
  11. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 14:21
    Mogadishu not in the list ๐Ÿ™
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 22:47
    Vienna's prostitutes are not precisely clean, mind you.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 11:29
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Vienna's prostitutes are not precisely clean, mind you.
    Prostitution is regulated and requires regular check-ups.
  14. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 11:52
    I don't think you and I use the term "clean" in the same way ๐Ÿ˜ต
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Feb '16 17:55
    Zurich scored second after Vienna. I work in Zurich, live in Bern. Bern's my first choice for living. I have 100Mbit fibre optic to the door and I get raw milk from the farmer 200 meters down the road. Perfect combination of hi-tech infrastructure and pastoral traditions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree