1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 16:33
    http://phys.org/news/2016-06-vinyl-groovier.html

Vinyl making big comeback, best sales since 1988!
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 23:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2016-06-vinyl-groovier.html

Vinyl making big comeback, best sales since 1988!
    Dang! I got left behind in the 60's.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 00:40
    Originally posted by josephw
    Dang! I got left behind in the 60's.
    I have 2000 vinyls, folk music and classical mainly.

Around the year 2000 when players were being thrown away, I got a Panasonic direct drive auto play turntable with magnetic cart. and diamond needle for $2 at a yard sale.

It still works perfectly and sounds awesome.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 07:26
    I'd love to have vinyl just so when someone says something stupid, I can stop the record with that scratching sound.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 07:50
    Originally posted by vivify
    I'd love to have vinyl just so when someone says something stupid, I can stop the record with that scratching sound.
    You can get digital samples of that scratching sound.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 07:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    You can get digital samples of that scratching sound.
    Or you could just put a contact mic on your butt and scratch that, you could hear it by putting it through an amp and a good pair of speakers.....
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 08:17
    Or you could just put a contact mic on your butt and scratch that, you could hear it by putting it through an amp and a good pair of speakers.....
    I had vinyl back in the day. Good memories. What I prefer is what I have now: about 30,000 albums on several hard disks, every single moment of which I can access within 5-10 seconds of the desire to hear something first welling up inside me, and executed with a couple of clicks of the mouse.

The sound quality of what I listen to is perfectly adequate for me and the speakers and headphones I have are good enough for my needs too.

And, without doubt, this facility has transformed the way I relate to the music I have collected and I wouldn't go back to the vinyl days for anything.

I say this while being fully cognizant of how fond I was of the equipment, the album covers, the sound, the different kind of cherishing, the element of patience, the ceremony, the whole thing. Brilliant and unforgettable.

The set up I have now would have been like a science fiction dream when I first started consuming music. I am glad I had the kind of apprenticeship as a music consumer that I did with the tools I had at that time. But I'm also glad to have moved on to the tools I have nowadays.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 13:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    I had vinyl back in the day. Good memories. What I prefer is what I have now: about 30,000 albums on several hard disks, every single moment of which I can access within 5-10 seconds of the desire to hear something first welling up inside me, and executed with a couple of clicks of the mouse.

The sound quality of what I listen to is perfectly adequate for me ...[text shortened]... h the tools I had at that time. But I'm also glad to have moved on to the tools I have nowadays.
    'Perfectly adequate' in otherwords, MP3 files. You know MP3 cuts out 90% of the sound, right?
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 14:18
    Originally posted by FMF

The sound quality of what I listen to is perfectly adequate for me ...[text shortened]... h the tools I had at that time. But I'm also glad to have moved on to the tools I have nowadays.
    100%.

Vinyl collecting in the past ten years has not been so much about enjoying the warm sound associated with it, but with the enjoyment in hunting for second-hand vinyl, finding good deals and embracing the neuroses of collecting physical music media. I never fully got into it as I also appreciate the minimal, efficient approach to digital collections (regardless of what sound losses there are of which i personally can detect very little), but my friends who are heavily into it have all complained about the saturated market, the opportunism of sellers to now jack up the price of second hand records (Really? $15 for this second hand copy of Rumours?) and the increase in overpriced, gimmicky repressings. The thrill of the hunt is still there but don't be surprised to see the resurgence plateau shortly. Realistically, the "comeback" has been going on for over ten years already.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 14:23
    'Perfectly adequate' in otherwords, MP3 files. You know MP3 cuts out 90% of the sound, right?
    I am aware of the arguments that pro-vinyl advocates put forward. 😉

A record deck and a collection of vinyl records wouldn't get used even if I had them.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 16:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am aware of the arguments that pro-vinyl advocates put forward. 😉

A record deck and a collection of vinyl records wouldn't get used even if I had them.
    There is something to be said for compact.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 23:07
    Nothing beats vinyl though. I had records back in the day. That's all gone now. Like everything else. Moved around too much. I miss the old days. Life was simpler. Or though it seems.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 23:561 edit
    For me it's more about access to the music really. For example, I just got up and made a cup of coffee. I checked my e-mails and then used my media player to line up a 'compilation' of about three hours' worth of music drawn from maybe 15 different albums. This has now started playing ~ and I'll listen to that as I work. In practical terms such a listening mode/experience is not possible when vinyl is the medium available. The same can be said for CDs, in fact. I have about 5,000 of them but I rarely touch them. The music on them has all been saved onto hard disks at a bit rate of 320 kbps and so I can listen to them much more easily.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 23:57
    Originally posted by josephw
    Nothing beats vinyl though. I had records back in the day. That's all gone now.
    What have you replaced the vinyl with that has led you to believe that nothing beats it?
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 11:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    What have you replaced the vinyl with that has led you to believe that nothing beats it?
    Silence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree