1. Gothenburg
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 12:30
    @very-rusty said
    My Brother-In-Law has never used a computer, doesn't even like a cell phone just lan line. One of the few left!

-VR
    One of the very few - how does he manage, one wonders?
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 12:30
    @very-rusty said
    My Brother-In-Law has never used a computer, doesn't even like a cell phone just lan line. One of the few left!

-VR
    We still have a land line.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 12:32
    @great-big-stees said
    We still have a land line.
    I had mine until a few months ago but it was hardly ever in use except to open the front door to the house.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 12:55
    @torunn said
    I had mine until a few months ago but it was hardly ever in use except to open the front door to the house.
    Wow a magical land line. I use a key to open our door.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 13:061 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    Wow a magical land line. I use a key to open our door.
    Our front door to the house is kept locked, and we open with a key or a code. Guests without the code call my apartment and my phone rings, and I open with a button on the phone. 🙂
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 13:07
    @torunn said
    Our front door to the house is kept locked, and we open with a key or a code. Guests without the code call my apartment and my phone rings, and I open with a button on the phone. 🙂
    I knew that. I was just being me. 🙂
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 13:08
    @great-big-stees said
    I knew that. I was just being me. 🙂
    Oh dear, so silly of me. 🙂
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 13:10
    @torunn said
    Oh dear, so silly of me. 🙂
    Silly? I think not. Just very informative.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 16:29
    @torunn said
    One of the very few - how does he manage, one wonders?
    He just never had any interest in computers or cell phones is all.

-VR
  10. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 16:57
    @leur said
    "Another wise ass know it all" here (see Honor Roll thread, page 18, post 13...

Let us elevate the furshlugginer GF, huh?

From Time Magazine:

Americans and Brits have argued over the English language for centuries, and not just about an extra u here and there. But according to Peter Martin, author of the Dictionary Wars: The American Fight Over the English Language, "they have always been able to understand their insults of one another."
    Very interesting the way the thread took from a discussion of British and American English to the use of computers, land lines and cell phones.

A propos cell phone. we use the neologism "Handy" in Germany LOL
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 17:06
    @ponderable said
    Very interesting the way the thread took from a discussion of British and American English to the use of computers, land lines and cell phones.

A propos cell phone. we use the neologism "Handy" in Germany LOL
    I know it’s like ‘Chinese Whispers’
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    24 Jul '19 17:08
    Same in most forums though, if you just read the thread post and then jump straight to the last post it’s quite surreal. Hang on I might have the bare bones of a new guessing game.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    25 Jul '19 05:191 edit
    We still have a landline, complete with answering machine and functioning fax. I still have a dumb cellphone, with 10 keys and no touchscreen or email. But you can't say we've avoided technology altogether - between two people we have 13 functioning computers in active use (not counting things with microprocessors like TVs or dishwashers). Of the 13, 5 are desktops, 3 are laptops, 4 tablets, 1 smartphone.
    And we're both retired and not running any kind of business. Bizarre, isn't it?
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    25 Jul '19 12:19
    @kewpie said
    We still have a landline, complete with answering machine and functioning fax. I still have a dumb cellphone, with 10 keys and no touchscreen or email. But you can't say we've avoided technology altogether - between two people we have 13 functioning computers in active use (not counting things with microprocessors like TVs or dishwashers). Of the 13, 5 are desktops, 3 are ...[text shortened]... ets, 1 smartphone.
    OK, now that I will put in my BBT file. BBT meaning, "Bizarre But True".
  15. Standard memberMudfinger
    Ol' Dirty Heathen
    I'm Naked!
    Moves
    28 Jul '19 04:50
    @kewpie said
    We still have a landline, complete with answering machine and functioning fax. I still have a dumb cellphone, with 10 keys and no touchscreen or email. But you can't say we've avoided technology altogether - between two people we have 13 functioning computers in active use (not counting things with microprocessors like TVs or dishwashers). Of the 13, 5 are desktops, 3 are ...[text shortened]... ets, 1 smartphone.
    Sounds to me like you are up to speed. You aren't missing out on anything of any value. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree