What are you reading?

What are you reading?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
138d

I am planning to delve into this next week:

Our Gigantic Zoo: A German Quest to Save the Serengeti by Thomas M. Lekan

Blurb...

"How did the Seregenti become an internationally renowned African conservation site and one of the most iconic destinations for a safari?

In this book, Thomas M. Lekan illuminates the controversial origins of this national park by examining how Europe's greatest wildlife conservationist, Bernhard Grzimek, popularized it as a global destination.

In the 1950s, Grimzek and his son Michael began a quest to save the Serengeti from modernization by remaking an imperial game reserve into a gigantic zoo for the earth's last great mammals. Grzimek, well-known to German audiences through his long-running television program, A Place for Animals, used the film Seregenti Shall Not Die to convince ordinary Europeans that they could save nature. Yet their message sidestepped the uncomfortable legacies of German colonial exploitation in the region that had endangered animals and excluded local people.

After independence, Grzimek raised funds, brokered diplomatic favors, and convinced German tourists to book travel packages-all to persuade Tanzanian leader Julius Nyerere that wildlife would fuel the young nation's economic development. Grzimek helped Tanzania to create almost a dozen new national parks by 1975, but wooing tourists conflicted with rights of the Maasai and other African communities to inhabit the landscape on their own terms."

F

Moves
136d

Alan Partridge - Big Beacon

Hilarious and clever

The Alan Partridge books ~ unassumingly and somewhat stealthily ~ may well be the best part of his oeuvre.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
135d

Neal Stephenson: Amalthea

A SF novel based on the disintegration of the moon. Interesting read, Stephenson has his stuff well prepared.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
135d

Hell's Angels - Hunter S. Thompson

Gothenburg

Moves
133d

I'm still reading Yuval Noah Harari's 'Sapiens' - A Brief History of Mankind

It takes a lot of focus and a lot of time, but I would strongly recommend it if you have time to spare, 400 pages of interesting stuff written by a man who knows how to educate and entertain.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
84d

Have read

Ken Follett: Never

The weakest book by him that I ahve read. The stoy in Tchad is a bit interesting as is the story in China.

Gothenburg

Moves
84d

@ponderable said
Have read

Ken Follett: Never

The weakest book by him that I ahve read. The stoy in Tchad is a bit interesting as is the story in China.
I read the first book in his Century trilogy but lost interest. His best novel is, in my opinion, Eye of the Needle.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
84d

@torunn said
I read the first book in his Century trilogy but lost interest. His best novel is, in my opinion, Eye of the Needle.
"The key to Rebecca" was the first book by him I read and found quite well.
I also liked "the third twin".

The kingsbridge books were okay, I think I read the first two, my interest was not enough for the any more.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
84d
1 edit

@torunn said
Sebastian Barry: Days Without End (2016)
Susan Cain: Quiet - The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking (2012)

Gothenburg

Moves
78d

I'm rereading Anthony Doerr, All the light we cannot see (2014).

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
78d

Chess for Dummies! 🙂

-VR

Gothenburg

Moves
78d

@torunn said
I'm rereading Anthony Doerr, All the light we cannot see (2014).
This book was recommended by Handy Andy - it's 600 pages wonderful novel.

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
78d

A History of God, Karen Armstrong.

Obviously not a history of an eternal Being; rather a scholarly account of how people have conceived the Judeo-Christian God through history.

F

Moves
77d

The Great Partition: The Making of India and Pakistan by Yasmin Khan

Gothenburg

Moves
70d

John Grisham: The Appeal (2008)