1. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 12:43
    @kevcvs57 said
    Last night
    Peppery oniony salad with cured ham and baby potatoes, then I kept squirting the mayo on top until I could only see mayo.
    And your bypass surgery is slated for when?
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 12:53
    Repost so you see it...GBS changed the page.

Wolfy,

What is the reason for salting the water before boiling pasta? I know a lot of people do that, just don't know why. There has to be a reason.

-VR
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 12:54
    @great-big-stees said
    And your bypass surgery is slated for when?
    Takes years for that to happen! 😉

-VR
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 14:17
    @very-rusty said
    Repost so you see it...GBS changed the page.

Wolfy,

What is the reason for salting the water before boiling pasta? I know a lot of people do that, just don't know why. There has to be a reason.

-VR
    Pasta cooks better in salted water (it raises the boiling point of the water) and absorbs the flavour as it cooks.
  5. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 15:021 edit

Removed by poster

6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 18:58
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Pasta cooks better in salted water (it raises the boiling point of the water) and absorbs the flavour as it cooks.
    Who says an old dog can't be taught a new trick, I always put the salt in afterwards.

I bet it tastes entirely different. How much salt should be put in, to how much water?

-VR
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 20:21
    @very-rusty said
    Who says an old dog can't be taught a new trick, I always put the salt in afterwards.

I bet it tastes entirely different. How much salt should be put in, to how much water?

-VR
    1238 grains. Add them individually. 😆

(Actually need to add quite a lot, so use kosher salt).
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 22:34
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Silly goad!

-VR
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 22:54
    Edwards sausages, spring greens and baked potato topped with onion gravy followed by a crumble made with blackcurrants and apple from our garden.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 22:59
    @drewnogal said
    Edwards sausages, spring greens and baked potato topped with onion gravy followed by a crumble made with blackcurrants and apple from our garden.
    Your making me hungry and I just ate 3 hours ago! 😉

-VR
  11. Standard memberPatzering
    is getting old...
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 03:01
    Plain white rice to soak up all the bad goop from drinking too much. 😞
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 17:39
    @wolfgang59 said
    Before freezing them?
    Haven't tried that yet (freezing dumplings after microwaving them) but I am aware of the studies re: resistant carbs from a few years ago.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 08:321 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

(Actually need to add quite a lot, so use kosher salt).
    There is no such thing as "kosher" salt - that's just a marketing trick to sell you large-grained salt at higher prices. Much like that pink himalayan salt that's supposed to be better than sea salt. Bull. All salt is sea salt, the only difference is how ling ago the sea water dried up and how much mud was in it. (Yes, if your salt isn't white, you're eating dirt. Accept it.)

And it doesn't matter at all what salt you put in your pasta water. It'll be dissolved before the water boils, anyway.

The main tricks to making pasta are:
    - Buy good pasta. It doesn't need to be expensive, but you're more likely to get a good result if the packet says "cottura 10 minuti" and expects you to know the rest, than if it has full instructions that end with "for firmer ("al dente" ) Mi Mamma Spaghettili(c), boil for two minutes less".
    - Use plenty of water. The pasta needs to be able to move easily under boil, without stirring. Two liters minimum, for one portion.
    - Add plenty of salt, a teaspoon per liter. Best to add at the start; it should be dissolved and mixed in when you add the pasta. What kimd does not matter at all.
    - Add the pasta when the water boils, not before. Boil for as long as the packet says. Don't listen to internet tough guys who say you should always boil it less than that, unless you're baking it or cooking it further - not just warming it through - in the sauce. If you bought decent pasta, trust the producer to know his produce.
    - To finish off, almost always mix the pasta into the sauce. This point is less critical, and must be reversed in a few cases, most notably carbonara sauce (which has to be cooked by the heat of the spaghetti).
    - On which note: bolognese goes with tagliatelle, penne, stuffed pasta, bakes, but never spaghetti, which is too thin. (Try ragù Napoletana instead.) Conversely, carbonara goes witj spaghetti, and does not contain boiled eggs or cream.
  14. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 09:13
    A "New York strip steak" with chopped red onion and sliced button mushrooms.

Lately I have been trying to eat on the carnivore/paleo end of the spectrum. If my sensor scale is to be believed, my body fat percentage has gone from about 30% to less than 20% in two weeks.

Luckily there are economical ways to do this, such as Mapo Tofu (pork pan sausage works really well for this; I also have three stores nearby where I can get the hot broadbean paste and black-bean paste) and "Hamburger Bowl" (hamburger with everything except the patty shape and the bun; I like mine with ketchup, yellow mustard and pickles, or with blue cheese and hot-wing sauce).
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 09:28
    @shallow-blue said
    There is no such thing as "kosher" salt - that's just a marketing trick to sell you large-grained salt at higher prices. Much like that pink himalayan salt that's supposed to be better than sea salt. Bull. All salt is sea salt, the only difference is how ling ago the sea water dried up and how much mud was in it. (Yes, if your salt isn't white, you're eating dirt. Accept ...[text shortened]... tana instead.) Conversely, carbonara goes witj spaghetti, and does not contain boiled eggs or cream.
    , a teaspoon per liter.

Thank you best explanation so far.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree