General Forum

General Forum

  1. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Dec '11
    Moves
    143494
    05 Jan '18 13:45
    1. digging your nose
    2. plucking hair from ears
    3. eating chocolate
    4. sipping coffee
    5. sipping wine
    6. drinking shots
    7. snacking unsalted almonds
    8. snacking salted roast peanuts
    9. sipping soda
    10. scratching yourself
    11. doodling in a sketchbook
    12. ____________________
    13. ____________________
    14. leafing through chess opening books
    15. searching chess data bases
    16. reading daily papers
    17. ____________________
    18. chatting on a forum
    19. ____________________
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Joined
    22 Apr '05
    Moves
    526188
    05 Jan '18 14:00
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    1. digging your nose
    2. plucking hair from ears
    3. eating chocolate
    4. sipping coffee
    5. sipping wine
    6. drinking shots
    7. snacking unsalted almonds
    8. snacking salted roast peanuts
    9. sipping soda
    10. scratching yourself
    11. doodling in a sketchbook
    12. ____________________
    13. ____________________
    14. leafing through chess opening books ...[text shortened]... eading daily papers
    17. ____________________
    18. chatting on a forum
    19. ____________________
    4/19 censored??? 😲
  3. Gothenburg
    Joined
    11 Mar '16
    Moves
    10793
    05 Jan '18 14:19
    Listen to music often.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    05 Jan '18 16:37
    Wonder if people really say "whilst."
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    421762
    05 Jan '18 17:22
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Wonder if people really say "whilst."
    I never hear it used here in Canada!

    -VR
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97163
    05 Jan '18 17:26
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    I never hear it used here in Canada!

    -VR
    "Whilst" contemplating my response I noted that I do indeed use the word and ya know what? I'M CANADIAN. 😉
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    421762
    05 Jan '18 17:27
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    "Whilst" contemplating my response I noted that I do indeed use the word and ya know what? I'M CANADIAN. 😉
    Yea but you are one othe weird Canadians not like the rest of us. 😛

    Also a smartass!!! 😉 which is probably better than being a dumbass!!!

    -VR
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97163
    05 Jan '18 17:31
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    Yea but you are one othe weird Canadians not like the rest of us. 😛

    Also a smartass!!! 😉 which is probably better than being a dumbass!!!

    -VR
    On occasion I have been known to be both.
  9. Account suspended
    Joined
    10 Dec '11
    Moves
    143494
    05 Jan '18 17:38
    https://imgur.com/a/FFUHt

    quote
    In the same way as happens with among and amongst, the chief distinction between while and whilst as conjunctions and relative adverbs is in respect of their usage. While is far more common than whilst and is significantly more prevalent in US English than it is in British English.
    ...
    With only 6.9% of the occurrences of whilst appearing in US English, this form seems to be rapidly falling out of favour across the Atlantic. Bryan Garner states categorically that whilst ‘reeks of pretension in the work of a modern American writer’ and this stance is echoed by other authorities. So if you’re a US speaker or writer, you’d only be likely to use whilst if you were consciously aiming for an old-fashioned effect (for instance, if you were writing historical fiction). In all other contexts, while is the word to choose and thus avoid that dreaded reeking.
    ...
    end of quote
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    05 Jan '18 17:52
    Trying to figure when I use "while" and when I use "whilst".

    Rightly or wrongly I use "whilst" with past and present participles.
    eg
    I was thinking whilst I was drinking.
    I am thinking whilst drinking.

    I thought while I was drinking.
    I think while I drink.

    Could be completely wrong but that's what I do.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    421762
    05 Jan '18 17:52
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    https://imgur.com/a/FFUHt

    quote
    In the same way as happens with among and amongst, the chief distinction between while and whilst as conjunctions and relative adverbs is in respect of their usage. While is far more common than whilst and is significantly more prevalent in US English than it is in British English.
    ...
    With only 6.9% of the occurre ...[text shortened]... er contexts, while is the word to choose and thus avoid that dreaded reeking.
    ...
    end of quote
    Perhaps it has to do with where you live and what education you have? I don't know I just get by with Engerlish as it is. 😉

    -VR
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97163
    05 Jan '18 17:54
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Trying to figure when I use "while" and when I use "whilst".

    Rightly or wrongly I use "whilst" with past and present participles.
    eg
    I was thinking whilst I was drinking.
    I am thinking whilst drinking.

    I thought while I was drinking.
    I think while I drink.

    Could be completely wrong but that's what I do.
    "Six of one, half a dozen of another", maybe?
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    421762
    05 Jan '18 17:56
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    "Six of one, half a dozen of another", maybe?
    There is no difference between 6 and half a dozen, even I know that!

    -VR
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97163
    05 Jan '18 18:01
    Originally posted by @very-rusty
    There is no difference between 6 and half a dozen, even I know that!

    -VR
    Not just a pretty face VR.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    05 Jan '18 18:231 edit
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    1. digging your nose
    2. plucking hair from ears
    3. eating chocolate
    4. sipping coffee
    5. sipping wine
    6. drinking shots
    7. snacking unsalted almonds
    8. snacking salted roast peanuts
    9. sipping soda
    10. scratching yourself
    11. doodling in a sketchbook
    12. ____________________
    13. ____________________
    14. leafing through chess opening books ...[text shortened]... eading daily papers
    17. ____________________
    18. chatting on a forum
    19. ____________________
    Do other things?

    What else is there other than RHP?
Back to Top