1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    24 May '16 19:51
    Originally posted by Kegge
    You said that if we were face to face you would beat me up. That is a threat.
    Go back and read the conversation in context.
    That seems to be a point of struggle for you.
  2. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    24 May '16 20:09
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Go back and read the conversation in context.
    That seems to be a point of struggle for you.
    yawn
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 May '16 21:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think what motivates flat earthers is simply association, socialization with like minded individuals where they really only half believe in such nonsense but really like to meet at the pub and share a pint of brew.
    Actually the most interesting part for me was that outcry when Freaky actually challenged the prevailing scientific attitude. It was like the dark ages all over again, 'burn the witch!', 'get the heretic'! This was actually more disturbing than his claims.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 May '16 21:341 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Actually the most interesting part for me was that outcry when Freaky actually challenged the prevailing scientific attitude. It was like the dark ages all over again, 'burn the witch!', 'get the heretic'! This was actually more disturbing than his claims.
    Indeed. It seems the whole modern flatasssearthers came from some preacher in Michigan or somewhere, where the deal was you had to believe in the flat Earth and a literal reading of the bible, EVERYTHING in it literal, apparently there are some vague references to a flat Earth and that is taken literally, so that really stupid idea spread and now there are literally thousands of these asssholes in the US alone.

It is mysterious to me how the US in century 21 can still harbor such idiocy.

For instance, I mentioned coriolis effect that has to be taken into account firing rifles and flying in airplanes and I first mentioned bullets and his answer: So you think it happens to bullets but not to aircraft? See how he moves the goalpost, NEVER responding with actual links but just repeating his mantra, NASA lies about EVERYTHING. Apparently Flat Earthers believe Earth is not spinning for some stupid reason or other and pointing out the sky moves by every night doesn't faze him. Oh yeah, you know the ancient experiment by eratosthenes where he got pretty darn close to the size of Earth by just looking at sticks in the ground at noon a few hundred miles apart and calculated the size of Earth just based on analysis of the shadows which would be different at the same time of day on a globe.

Flat Earthers: That is explained by the "fact' that the sun is only a few thousand miles away and somehow rotating around our flatness thus giving the same results as the original experiment thousands of years ago.

Then I said, well then, the Moon is a quarter million miles away from earth and if the sun is only a few thousand miles from Earth the moon would get about 1/50,000ths the energy Earth gets, his answer, the moon is a lot closer than scientists say, AND the speed of light is not what scientists say.

So many garbled fantasies it is hard to wrap one's head around.

He even said, so have you ever seen a NASA video of ISS that is uninterrupted, implying the whole thing is fake, ISS is fake, the moon landing is fake and I brought up the idea that if NASA fakes everything then what about China, Russian and so forth who would LOVE to prove such fakery but now he moved THAT goalpost to saying the entire space faring community is lying. Such photo's as the entire continent of Antarctica is total fake, computer generated and such. (Since in their fantasy, the outer edge of the flat world is covered in a ice wall that is the edge of Antarctica and therefore there is no possibility of circumnavigation of Antarctica and I pointed to just such an expedition by the US navy in 1947-8 where they did just that, using a fleet of ships and they actually met a French navy vessel somewhere off the coast and such.

All fake, so Geologists, astronomers, rocket scientists, oceanographers, mathematicians , and other sciences, all in on the grand conspiracy.

Then he says Earth is not a globe, I say how thick is Earth then, he goes, why do you think they can't drill more than 7 or so miles deep. See the pattern? Just moving the goalposts. I still can't figure what not being able to drill more than 7 or 8 miles deep has to do with the price of tea in ChinaπŸ™‚

So once I realized it was a religion with him, I stopped arguing since there IS no argument, no matter HOW valid, that would cause him to even BEGIN to doubt his fantasy world.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 May '16 21:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    You talked about how you were going to beat me up if you met me face to face. There's nothing I've ever said to you on this forum that I wouldn't say to you in person. People threatening violence on the internet are just so ridiculous, regardless of how much of a kick you get out of it. πŸ™„
    That's just the way you wanted it to mean. You've done this before. You take what was said out of its context and force your own meaning on it. Like they say, "the pen is mightier than the sword".

It is you that is perpetrating the greater violence. You defy the truth with obfuscations.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 May '16 21:42
    Indeed. It seems the whole modern flatasssearthers came from some preacher in Michigan or somewhere, where the deal was you had to believe in the flat Earth and a literal reading of the bible, EVERYTHING in it literal, apparently there are some vague references to a flat Earth and that is taken literally, so that really stupid idea spread and now there are ...[text shortened]... no argument, no matter HOW valid, that would cause him to even BEGIN to doubt his fantasy world.
    You're doing great sonhouse. Right in lockstep with the ideology that those of faith are the root of the problem. Not to worry though. You won't always have that view.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 May '16 21:42
    Originally posted by Kegge
    You said that if we were face to face you would beat me up. That is a threat.
    Can you link that post?
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 May '16 21:43
    Originally posted by vivify
    Here's a video from V-Sauce (who has a popular science channel on YouTube) on what a flat earth would be like:

[youtube Is the Earth actually flat?]VNqNnUJVcVs[/youtube]
    That was entertaining. Now I believe the earth is both round and flat.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 May '16 22:16
    Originally posted by josephw
    That was entertaining. Now I believe the earth is both round and flat.
    So on Sunday it's flat, Monday round, Tuesday flat,etc?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 May '16 23:10
    So on Sunday it's flat, Monday round, Tuesday flat,etc?
    How should I know? I don't even know what day it is! One day follows another. They're all the same to me. πŸ˜‰
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '16 23:20
    Originally posted by josephw
    It is you that is perpetrating the greater violence. You defy the truth with obfuscations.
    FreakyKBH hasn't been "perpetrating" any violence, only threatening it.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 May '16 00:35
    Indeed. It seems the whole modern flatasssearthers came from some preacher in Michigan or somewhere, where the deal was you had to believe in the flat Earth and a literal reading of the bible, EVERYTHING in it literal, apparently there are some vague references to a flat Earth and that is taken literally, so that really stupid idea spread and now there are ...[text shortened]... no argument, no matter HOW valid, that would cause him to even BEGIN to doubt his fantasy world.
    Get some help, brah.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 May '16 00:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    FreakyKBH hasn't been "perpetrating" any violence, only threatening it.
    No, numbnuts.
    I've done nothing more than point out the simple fact that (it's become cliche at this point) internet tough guys such as yourself and that human hemorrhoid, Kegge, are full of bluster, challenge, and insult... when they're miles away from the repercussions thereof.
    Most people are congenial.
    Most people placate in order to keep peace.
    You two are examples of chit-for-brains who think they're being clever by insulting and denigrating others from the safety of a keyboard, far removed from the game.
    I would never challenge another person online, as it offers no succour or salve: what could possibly happen?
    I will, however, point out the obvious.
    The two of you are cowards.
    Pusillanimous cowards.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '16 00:49
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You two are examples of chit-for-brains who think they're being clever by insulting and denigrating others from the safety of a keyboard, far removed from the game.
    I would never challenge another person online, as it offers no succour or salve: what could possibly happen?
    There you go again. Do you think you're being clever by insulting and denigrating others? Do you think you're being clever by threatening to beat up people on a message board? And I ask again: what is it you imagine yourself doing face to face? Throwing punches? Roundhouse kicks? Wrestling people to the ground?
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 May '16 01:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    There you go again. Do you think you're being clever by insulting and denigrating others? Do you think you're being clever by threatening to beat up people on a message board? And I ask again: what is it you imagine yourself doing face to face? Throwing punches? Roundhouse kicks? Wrestling people to the ground?
    Ooøœ, MF!!
    I love it when you talk dirrrrty...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree