1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '22 04:58
    "What kind of a woman drinks coffee?" ~ a line from the TV series "1883" about a wagon train heading north to Oregon from Texas.

It is spoken by one woman to another woman in a storyline that appears to be all set to explore conservatism and conventionality [from women's points of view] being subjected to the rigours of frontier life.

Here in Indonesia, I have seen many changes over the last 30+ years, specifically with regard to women. Here are three:

You see a larger proportion of women wearing hijab scarves now than in 1990.

You see far fewer women riding sidesaddle when they are pillion passengers on motorbikes.

You see more women smoking cigarettes [in public] now than 30 years ago.

When did it finally become silly to ask "What kind of a woman drinks coffee?" in the U.S.?

What nitty-gritty examples of such changes have you seen in your lifetime?
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 May '22 06:12
    Snus (a tobacco-based product, most commonly made in Sweden and then sold in Nordic countries)

Tattoo
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '22 07:53
    @fmf said
    In the last 30 years, women here have gone from being the minority among bachelor's degree undergraduates to being a majority.
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 May '22 08:091 edit
    @torunn said
    Snus (a tobacco-based product, most commonly made in Sweden and then sold in Nordic countries)

Tattoo
    To clarify:
    Snus was very rarely, if ever used, by women 30-40 years ago, at least in my country. Tattoos were mostly found on sailors and people who had done time in prison.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 May '22 08:173 edits
    @fmf said
    "What kind of a woman drinks coffee?" ~ a line from the TV series "1883" about a wagon train heading north to Oregon from Texas.

It is spoken by one woman to another woman in a storyline that appears to be all set to explore conservatism and conventionality [from women's points of view] being subjected to the rigours of frontier life.

Here in Indonesia, I have seen many ch ...[text shortened]... coffee?" in the U.S.?

When I was a young man the only women who had tattoos, nose jewelry and big butts were the lowest examples of repulsive skankhood who had lost all respect for themselves. Now they're badges of honor females spend money for. 🙁
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '22 08:38
    @mchill said
    When I was a young man the only women who had tattoos, nose jewelry and big butts were the lowest examples of repulsive skankhood. Now they're badges of honor females spend money for.
    What does "slankhood" mean?
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 May '22 08:42
    @fmf said
    Please go back and check the spelling - as far as what it means, I'm sure you can figure it out.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 May '22 08:47
    @fmf said
    “Skank” is a derogatory term for a certain type of generally low-class female.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '22 08:581 edit
    @mchill said
    Please go back and check the spelling - as far as what it means, I'm sure you can figure it out.
    Yes, it was a typo by me. When you were younger you thought women with big buttocks were sleazy and promiscuous? Before I say 'boy oh boy, do I now see you in a different light', can I ask: have I understood you correctly?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '22 09:021 edit
    @fmf said
    There are now far more women here on the boards of directors and boards of commissioners of companies; what's more, there is a good deal of research that's been done that indicates that women are less likely to be corrupt or to tolerate corruption [by their companies] and they are more likely to promote corporate social responsibility programmes and eco-friendly/green-economy policies.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 May '22 09:172 edits
    @fmf said
    Yes, it was a typo by me. When you were younger you thought women with big buttocks were sleazy and promiscuous? Before I say 'boy oh boy, do I now see you in a different light', can I ask: have I understood you correctly?
    I’m looking forward to returning later and finding that Suzianne, and her loyal band of anonymous thumbers, have completely ignored Mchil’s sexist slur, but have unilaterally anonymously thumbed you and me down in an attempt to dish out “consequences” and provide us with “feedback”. Presumably for being forthright, open and honest.

Ponderable will chastise me for mentioning this in public and refer me to some protocol about taking it up with Suzianne privately.

Moonbus will start a poll about polls about never discussing the same topic more than … oh let’s say three times.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 May '22 09:45
    @mchill said

When I was a young man the only women who had tattoos, nose jewelry and big butts were the lowest examples of repulsive skankhood who had lost all respect for themselves. Now they're badges of honor females spend money for. 🙁
    How courageously non-judgemental.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 May '22 09:47
    @divegeester said
    I’m looking forward to returning later and finding that Suzianne, and her loyal band of anonymous thumbers, have completely ignored Mchil’s sexist slur, but have unilaterally anonymously thumbed you and me down in an attempt to dish out “consequences” and provide us with “feedback”. Presumably for being forthright, open and honest.

Ponderable will chastise me for menti ...[text shortened]... start a poll about polls about never discussing the same topic more than … oh let’s say three times.
    How courageously non-judgemental.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 May '22 09:55
    @fmf said
    There are now far more women here on the boards of directors and boards of commissioners of companies; what's more, there is a good deal of research that's been done that indicates that women are less likely to be corrupt or to tolerate corruption [by their companies] and they are more likely to promote corporate social responsibility programmes and eco-friendly/green-economy policies.
    Kudos for describing the societal landscape as it is, instead of childishly taking umbrage and grinding personal axes of petulance.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '22 10:25
    @suzianne said
    Kudos for describing the societal landscape as it is, instead of childishly taking umbrage and grinding personal axes of petulance.
    Just regular and typical posting by me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree