1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jul '19 16:14
    @very-rusty said
    I don't know, but if you can't afford to take care of a dog, why have one?

-VR
    Agreed. (Darn it).
  2. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    15 Jul '19 17:532 edits
    @Very-Rusty

if you have little money but would like a dog you can get one for free from most older dog rescues. if you take an older dog the rescue normally agrees to pay all vet bills. if you live anywhere
    within driving distance of north carolina there are older collie dogs that can be taken home under these rules. see collierescue.net. where you get to keep the dog as your own or you can foster an older dog but not own it under the same vet terms by looking up a place in joliet, tennessee called the old friends dog sanctuary.

and as for the cost of food. i give my collie a turkey hamburger in the morning and it cost me less than $1.00 for this high quality food. for dinner i give her canned peas and carrots mixed with baked chicken. i buy boneless chicken thighs and bake them myself ( be sure to bake until 180 degrees ) and i dice them up and freeze them as i buy a large portion at one time. this costs me a bit more than a $1.00. so, yes for about $2.50 a
    day and a little work your dog can eat real food as nature intended ( nature did intend canned peas and carrots...she told me so last week ).
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Jul '19 18:111 edit
    @eladar said
    If I had the extra money I might consider spending hundreds of dollars on a dog. But I am a teacher who does not get paid much and have loads of debt so if a dog dies a dog dies.
    @Very-Rusty Info given by another member....Mister Moggy

if you have little money but would like a dog you can get one for free from most older dog rescues. if you take an older dog the rescue normally agrees to pay all vet bills. if you live anywhere
    within driving distance of north carolina there are older collie dogs that can be taken home under these rules. see collierescue.net. where you get to keep the dog as your own or you can foster an older dog but not own it under the same vet terms by looking up a place in joliet, tennessee called the old friends dog sanctuary.

and as for the cost of food. i give my collie a turkey hamburger in the morning and it cost me less than $1.00 for this high quality food. for dinner i give her canned peas and carrots mixed with baked chicken. i buy boneless chicken thighs and bake them myself ( be sure to bake until 180 degrees ) and i dice them up and freeze them as i buy a large portion at one time. this costs me a bit more than a $1.00. so, yes for about $2.50 a
    day and a little work your dog can eat real food as nature intended ( nature did intend canned peas and carrots...she told me so last week )

-VR
  4. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    15 Jul '19 18:152 edits
    @Very-Rusty

( i am Very-Rusty ) ( no, I am Very-Rusty ) ( NO, I AM VERY-rusty ! )
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Jul '19 18:20
    @mister-moggy said
    @Very-Rusty

( i am Very-Rusty ) ( no, I am Very-Rusty ) ( NO, I AM VERY-rusty ! )
    I am just confused....I was trying to tell the poster who gave me the info!!! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  6. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    15 Jul '19 18:23
    @Very-Rusty

i am spartacus.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Jul '19 18:28
    @mister-moggy said
    @Very-Rusty

i am spartacus.
    Meaning & History
    Means "from the city of Sparta" in Latin. Spartacus was the name of a Thracian-born Roman slave who led a slave revolt in Italy in the 1st century BC. He was eventually killed in battle and many of his followers were crucified.

Copied & Pasted
    -VR
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 20:03
    @very-rusty said
    @Very-Rusty Info given by another member....Mister Moggy

within driving distance of north carolina there are older collie dogs that can be taken home under these rules. see c ...[text shortened]... d as nature intended ( nature did intend canned peas and carrots...she told me so last week )

-VR
    The question is not getting a dog, the question is if you are going to spend thousands of dollars on vet bills.

Sorry not going to do that. A hundred bucks every few years sure, but not going to spend large amounts of money on a dog.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 20:16
    I'm not sure what kind of dog i have, it tends to say meow rather than woof... weird.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 20:24
    This is summertime, and I'd like to jump in here to remind dog owners to watch out where they walk their dogs. A dog's paw pads are as sensitive as your own bare feet, so pay proper attention to where they walk, and when it's hot try not to keep them on hot pavement. Give them plenty of time on natural grass, if possible. And please, for the love of your fellow humans, kindly pick up your dog's waste with little baggies or something.
  11. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 20:35
    I live with three dogs, none of which are technically mine, but we all belong together:

A black and white Australian cattle dog

A Papillon/ Pomeranian mix

A Bichon Frise Yorkie mix

The Aussie is my daughter’s and I inherited the other two when I moved into my mother’s house. We’re selling the house soon and it’s quite a feat finding rentals that will accept three dogs, even if well trained.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Jul '19 03:39
    @very-rusty said
    I don't know, but if you can't afford to take care of a dog, why have one?

-VR
    You're right VR!
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 Jul '19 10:26
    A Lhasa apso called Barney he is gorgeous but a bit weird for a dog. He has some strange rituals regarding stairs and he’s quite stand offish with strangers, which is a shame because strangers cannot get enough of him.
    We accidentally did a Pavlovian experiment with him, or he did one with us, I’m not sure, but every time he hears ‘Tilted’ by Christine and the Queens he comes over for a treat. No other song has this effect and we have tried. He'll sit uninterested through six or seven songs but on hearing the intro to ‘Tilted’ he jumps of the sofa and assumes the treat position. As I say, a bit weird.
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Jul '19 12:40
    @kevcvs57 said
    A Lhasa apso called Barney he is gorgeous but a bit weird for a dog. He has some strange rituals regarding stairs and he’s quite stand offish with strangers, which is a shame because strangers cannot get enough of him.
    We accidentally did a Pavlovian experiment with him, or he did one with us, I’m not sure, but every time he hears ‘Tilted’ by Christine and the Queens he com ...[text shortened]... ng the intro to ‘Tilted’ he jumps of the sofa and assumes the treat position. As I say, a bit weird.
    A "bit"? Oh wait you can, if you try hard enough, reverse that by...well I'll leave that to your imagination. πŸ€”
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 Jul '19 13:02
    @great-big-stees said
    A "bit"? Oh wait you can, if you try hard enough, reverse that by...well I'll leave that to your imagination. πŸ€”
    I’m not sure I want to give him a treat whenever I play anything other than ‘Tilted’ it could get expensive and Barney would end up doing a very good ’Bagpuss’ impression πŸΆπŸ™€

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree