General Forum

General Forum

  1. Subscriberlemondrop
    pawn grabber
    Joined
    19 Jul '13
    Moves
    196824
    06 Nov '15 01:00
    I can't remember if it was checkers or sorry
    I think it was checkers
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    06 Nov '15 01:53
    My dad drew a racing track on a piece of hardboard and we moved
    toy cars around on the throw of a die. That was my first board game.

    After that "Snakes n Ladders" and Ludo.

    Favourite game as a kid was "Formula 1" - a classic. Don't see it around any more.
  3. Subscriberlemondrop
    pawn grabber
    Joined
    19 Jul '13
    Moves
    196824
    06 Nov '15 02:05
    I'm curious to see if chess was anyone's first board game
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29872
    06 Nov '15 02:151 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Favourite game as a kid was "Formula 1" - a classic. Don't see it around any more.
    Yes. It had a very innovative and well measured game system which rewarded and/or punished risk taking to a finely attuned degree. My family played "Formula 1" more often than "Monopoly" when I was a kid [and I haven't played Monopoly at all since I discovered "Poleconomy"].

    "Escape From Colditz" was another unique game system although being the German Garrison was pretty much the short straw for those couple of hours of entertainment.

    Another innovative mechanism was the one used in "Election X" although I remember not being able to summon up enough interest in others to play it as often as I wanted.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97094
    06 Nov '15 02:17
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    I can't remember if it was checkers or sorry
    I think it was checkers
    Mine was checkers but Chinese Checkers.
  6. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Joined
    26 Aug '06
    Moves
    55923
    06 Nov '15 02:40
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    I can't remember if it was checkers or sorry
    I think it was checkers
    I used to love playing "spin the bottle" with all the girls at the co-ed school I went to. I believe you played it at school also Lemon. What was the name of that all boys school you went to?
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    97094
    06 Nov '15 02:44
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    I used to love playing "spin the bottle" with all the girls at the co-ed school I went to. I believe you played it at school also Lemon. What was the name of that all boys school you went to?
    I went to the School of Hard Knockers. It was a faux Med School.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    06 Nov '15 02:451 edit
    Parcheesi; Checkers; Chinese Checkers and Monopoly until a kind Swedish Uncle taught me the fundamentals of Chess at the age of nine..
  9. Subscriberlemondrop
    pawn grabber
    Joined
    19 Jul '13
    Moves
    196824
    06 Nov '15 02:511 edit
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    I used to love playing "spin the bottle" with all the girls at the co-ed school I went to. I believe you played it at school also Lemon. What was the name of that all boys school you went to?
    I don't think spin the bottle is a board game and I'm sure you played it alone

    the girls, I'm sure, were nothing more than wishful thinking
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    06 Nov '15 05:25
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    My dad drew a racing track on a piece of hardboard and we moved
    toy cars around on the throw of a die. That was my first board game.

    After that "Snakes n Ladders" and Ludo.

    Favourite game as a kid was "Formula 1" - a classic. Don't see it around any more.
    You had a good dad at least in that respect.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35770
    06 Nov '15 09:011 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Parcheesi; Checkers; Chinese Checkers and Monopoly until a kind Swedish Uncle taught me the fundamentals of Chess at the age of nine..
    Yep, yep, yep, yep and yep. Except my dad taught me chess around age 8.

    Before all those, I played Chutes and Ladders and Sorry.

    And card games. We played a lot of card games when I was a kid. But that's not 'board games'.



    I also like Backgammon. For some reason, Backgammon is ideal for a romantic, after-dinner game with a bottle of wine, maybe in front of the fireplace. 🙂
  12. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Joined
    26 Aug '06
    Moves
    55923
    06 Nov '15 09:12
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yep, yep, yep, yep and yep. Except my dad taught me chess around age 8.

    Before all those, I played Chutes and Ladders and Sorry.

    And card games. We played a lot of card games when I was a kid. But that's not 'board games'.



    I also like Backgammon. For some reason, Backgammon is ideal for a romantic, after-dinner game with a bottle of wine.
    I just became interested in Backgammon
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    06 Nov '15 10:37
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yep, yep, yep, yep and yep. Except my dad taught me chess around age 8.

    Before all those, I played Chutes and Ladders and Sorry.

    And card games. We played a lot of card games when I was a kid. But that's not 'board games'.



    I also like Backgammon. For some reason, Backgammon is ideal for a romantic, after-dinner game with a bottle of wine, maybe in front of the fireplace. 🙂
    My wife and I also enjoyed Backgammon in precisely the venue you describe in your final sentence during our two year courtship.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52770
    06 Nov '15 11:25
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    I'm curious to see if chess was anyone's first board game
    Mine was chess, age 8, a cousin taught me but he moved and that was that for 10 years.....
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    326099
    06 Nov '15 11:47
    Probably Ludo.

    First card game will have been Happy Families. And Beggar My Neighbour.
Back to Top