When I am big I will become...

When I am big I will become...

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
17 Jan 18

Share what your dreams where as child/teen and what happened.

I would have wanted to become a mathematician first I remember. It was so much fun to play with numbers.

Then I fell in love with history. But as it is, this is a breadless art.

So I choose chemistry. Found out that I was more the engineering type and work now in process development.

Now, as a hopefully more mature person I took up coaching. I work now part-time self-emploeyd.

Gothenburg

Moves
17 Jan 18

Midwife, and then teacher of English and German.
Nothing of that happened so I chose secretary.

Moves
17 Jan 18

Veterinarian but ended up in accounting till I decided that, after 30 years, I actually didn't like it and got into sales until I retired 4 (or was it 5?) years ago.
In a month my daughter will graduate as a veterinarian so I guess a "part of me" accomplished my first employment hope. 🙂

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Jan 18

Originally posted by @great-big-stees
Veterinarian but ended up in accounting till I decided that, after 30 years, I actually didn't like it and got into sales until I retired 4 (or was it 5?) years ago.
In a month my daughter will graduate as a veterinarian so I guess a "part of me" accomplished my first employment hope. 🙂
I was always interested in the sciences but didn't do so well in college, except in astronomy, music, history and electronics. I probably had ADHD but back in 1960 that wasn't even a disorder. After that I just pursued electronics and got very lucky and got jobs overseas and at Goddard Space flight center working Apollo in 1970 till Nixon killed it, We beat the Ruskies, nothing more to prove....
Got a very interesting job after that at an Island of the Bahama's, Andros Island where there is a British submarine R&D base called AUTEC, Atlantic Underwater Test Center. I could go on and on about that job. I was a contractor with RCA and they lost the contract and Phillips won it and we all had to leave.

Later, got a job in Phoenix with a company called Varian, the Ion Implant division and was given dozens of courses in Palo Alto at Varian HQ (they bought half of Stanford University land) and in Gloucester Mass, the Ion Implanter division HQ. I had a great mentor there, their chief scientist, Ray Callahan, took many courses on the physics of ion implanters given by Ray. He is an impressive fellow, in 1959 at the age of 19, already possessing a BS in physics, was an expert in high voltage power supplies, I mean 100,000+ volt power supplies. NASA hired him at that age to design and build a 100,000 volt power supply in a box about 4 X4X4 odd inches to use on a satellite that had a wire sticking out about 2 feet long and charged up by that power supply. Quite an acheivement for a teenager, eh.

Anyway, my ion implant days took me all over the US, in cleanrooms from Austen to Boise, Florida to Bell Labs, quite the job I might add🙂

It also took me to Israel for 4 years with family, their school (Anglican International School in Jerusalem) 3 kids tuition paid for by Varian, apartment, car, all paid by Varian and we had a great time because we are also folk musicians and there is a thriving folk music community in Israel so it was a great match for us. Now back in the US, working at an R&D place in New Jersey for 6 years and then to a small manufacturing faciltiy one block away from my old job, been doing that 160 mile daily commute for 17 years now. One of these centuries I may even get to retire🙂 All in all a satisfying life.

Moves
17 Jan 18

Originally posted by @sonhouse
I was always interested in the sciences but didn't do so well in college, except in astronomy, music, history and electronics. I probably had ADHD but back in 1960 that wasn't even a disorder. After that I just pursued electronics and got very lucky and got jobs overseas and at Goddard Space flight center working Apollo in 1970 till Nixon killed it, We bea ...[text shortened]... or 17 years now. One of these centuries I may even get to retire🙂 All in all a satisfying life.
Satisfying lives is what we all hope for, I think. It's a bonus when that satisfying life is attached to a job that one likes. Some jobs "pay well", but at a price.

Mar-a-Lago

Moves
17 Jan 18

I was always interested in the sciences but didn't do so well in college, except in astronomy, music, history and electronics. I probably had ADHD but back in 1960 that wasn't even a disorder. After that I just pursued electronics and got very lucky and got jobs overseas and at Goddard Space flight center working Apollo in 1970 till Nixon killed it, We bea ...[text shortened]... or 17 years now. One of these centuries I may even get to retire🙂 All in all a satisfying life.
What car do you drive for your daily commute ?
Guessing not a big old V8 Chevy.

Moves
17 Jan 18

Originally posted by @captain-strange
What car do you drive for your daily commute ?
Guessing not a big old V8 Chevy.
I say a hybrid Prius.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
17 Jan 18

Originally posted by @ponderable

I would have wanted to become a mathematician first I remember. It was so much fun to play with numbers.

So I choose chemistry. Found out that I was more the engineering type and work now in process development. ...[text shortened]...
Now, as a hopefully more mature person I took up coaching. I work now part-time self-emploeyd.
In chronological order:

1. Spiderman
2. Footballer
3. Lawyer
4. Journalist
5. Radio psychiatrist.

None of them panned out. (Excluding spiderman).

Moves
17 Jan 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
In chronological order:

1. Spiderman
2. Footballer
3. Lawyer
4. Journalist
5. Radio psychiatrist.

Spiderman eh? What a web we weave...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17 Jan 18

Originally posted by @great-big-stees
I say a hybrid Prius.
I wish🙂 No, my commute car is a Hyundai Accent, gets about 30 MPG but the timing belt blew and took out the engine at about 150,000 miles. My fault really, for not changing the belt. Found an engine with 20,000 miles on it for 1500 bucks and it will be installed this week. I like that car because it has XM sat radio and I am a ham so I use ham radio to talk around the world on my commute when conditions permit, right now not so good because the solar sunspot cycle is at minimum and not much is happening long range radio these days, another 5 years it might be back but till then HEY BUDDY on chan 19 CB band if I want radio🙂

Moves
17 Jan 18

I wish🙂 No, my commute car is a Hyundai Accent, gets about 30 MPG but the timing belt blew and took out the engine at about 150,000 miles. My fault really, for not changing the belt. Found an engine with 20,000 miles on it for 1500 bucks and it will be installed this week. I like that car because it has XM sat radio and I am a ham so I use ham radio to ta ...[text shortened]... s, another 5 years it might be back but till then HEY BUDDY on chan 19 CB band if I want radio🙂
I have "age spots" but think they may be permanent.😲😉

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
17 Jan 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
In chronological order:

1. Spiderman
2. Footballer
3. Lawyer
4. Journalist
5. Radio psychiatrist.

goad,

I think you would have been good at #3.

I wanted to work with FBI...until I found out what it meant...I thought it meant Female Body Inspector! 😉

-VR

w

Moves
17 Jan 18

Originally posted by @ponderable

So I choose chemistry. Found out that I was more the engineering type and work now in process development. ...[text shortened]...
I just told everyone I wanted to be Congress.

It was good for a few good laughs.

m

Moves
17 Jan 18

Retired.

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
17 Jan 18

astronomer
back when Saturn had only nine moons