White Walker2

Standard memberRemoved
General 08 Feb '20 10:07
  1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Feb '20 12:592 edits

Based on this and other of his games here, I estimate WhiteWalker2's rating to be in the range 1750-1800.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Feb '20 13:11
    @very-rusty said
    After 12 years, I will set your sarcasm aside. It is odd we would would have only played one game.

Probably because I don't play 1/3 times as you requested in this one.

I played black first game so make it a 3/7 with me as white this time and you are on. I sent you a P.M. explaining reasons for the 3/7.

Thanks,
    -VR
    I decided to play the 1/3 one for this time against you wg59.

-VR
  3. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    11 Feb '20 13:19
    @wolfgang59 said
    Could be a smoke screen?
    Who benefitted from his time-out losses?
    " Craig Smith 3" did.
    Joined 25th Jan 2020.
    Played 27 won 27!

Describes himself as "Retired professional chess player of 45 years....looking for some fun without assistance"

Smells fishy.
    Apologies to Craig if this is just coincidence.
    Well spotted Wolfy.
    That is very odd.
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Feb '20 13:201 edit
    @moonbus said
    [pgn][Event "Open invite"]
    [Site "https://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2020.02.07"]
    [EndDate "2020.02.09"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Craig Smith 3"]
    [Black "WhiteWalker2"]
    [WhiteRating "1790"]
    [BlackRating "1726"]
    [WhiteElo "1790"]
    [BlackElo "1726"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [GameId "13611254"]

1. e4 e5 {White: Craig Smith3; Black: WhiteWalker2; notes by Mr. Bus} 2. Ng1f3 Nb8c6 ...[text shortened]... on this and other of his games here, I estimate WhiteWalker2's rating to be in the range 1750-1800.
    Providing he is/was not using a 3rd party for help.

If you are basing this game alone on 1750-1800 then lots of bad moves for a 1750-1800 player to be making.

Probably why we don't hear about the Game Moderators anymore, far too hard to figure out if a player is using an engine, some IM's and GM's use them to practice openings. Some play whole games against a computer, so would appear they were making computer like moves in their games.

-VR
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Feb '20 14:23
    @very-rusty said
    Providing he is/was not using a 3rd party for help.

If you are basing this game alone on 1750-1800 then lots of bad moves for a 1750-1800 player to be making.

Probably why we don't hear about the Game Moderators anymore, far too hard to figure out if a player is using an engine, some IM's and GM's use them to practice openings. Some play whole games against a computer, so would appear they were making computer like moves in their games.

-VR
    I agree, one game is no basis to judge a player's strength, much less whether an engine was involved, especially in a main-line variation of the Spanish which has been analysed for a hundred years or more. I looked at several more of WhiteWalker's games. He did crow about defeating a 2000 player. But I note that a great many of WhiteWalker's wins were against 1400-or-lower players. It's not difficult for a 1750 player to clean up at that level.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Feb '20 14:26
    @moonbus said
    I agree, one game is no basis to judge a player's strength, much less whether an engine was involved, especially in a main-line variation of the Spanish which has been analysed for a hundred years or more. I looked at several more of WhiteWalker's games. He did crow about defeating a 2000 player. But I note that a great many of WhiteWalker's wins were against 1400-or-lower players. It's not difficult for a 1750 player to clean up at that level.
    he folded like a house of cards.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Feb '20 16:47
    @badradger said
    he folded like a house of cards.
    He assumed he was playing an 1100-1200 player, got a big surprise! πŸ˜‰

-VR
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Feb '20 17:001 edit
    @moonbus said
    If you look over that game against the 2000 player an experienced player such as yourself I believe would notice it was not played like the game against badge or even the opening moves he made against goad then packed it in. You would see things I wouldn't see, and I can see the difference in his play.

-VR
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Feb '20 22:37
    @Very-Rusty

You must have a lot of free time, I see games in progress 5 pages deep!
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Feb '20 23:261 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Very-Rusty

You must have a lot of free time, I see games in progress 5 pages deep!
    Really? You must have a lot of time on your hands to be checking my profile out and talking in many of the forums! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜›

You do get a chance to play some chess I hope? πŸ˜‰

-VR
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Feb '20 19:031 edit
    @Very-Rusty
    Yep, in a club tournie as we speak. Do you play OTB? Anyway, it only took about 5 minutes of my precious time to see all the games you play.
    You clearly don't have much time to analyze each game very closely.
    I just suggest a smaller game load will get you to be a stronger player with more time per game to delve a bit more deeply than you could if you have 50 games going at once.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    12 Feb '20 19:41
    @sonhouse said
    @Very-Rusty
    Yep, in a club tournie as we speak. Do you play OTB? Anyway, it only took about 5 minutes of my precious time to see all the games you play.
    You clearly don't have much time to analyze each game very closely.
    I just suggest a smaller game load will get you to be a stronger player with more time per game to delve a bit more deeply than you could if you have 50 games going at once.
    Your absolutely correct sonhouse. I do play too quickly always have been doing it now for 13 years and still trying to slow it down and keep a lower game load. Same has been suggested by goad who I had 2 games with. He told exactly what you are telling me and told me I gave him a pretty good game in one of the games, he won them both as expected. I even learned a few things, I did slow down give more thought to each move in those games, he just outplayed me, that simple.
    Thank You for the advice though!

I haven't played in an OTB game in years. I once belonged to a chess club got my rating to 1669. It has all been down hill since then. I know I should be playing OTB games. I just like having fun with them now.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree