1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 13:32
    Why Do We Call a Coward Yellow?

"Yellow has always been associated with treachery, cowardice, jealousy, and inconsistency. The medieval star of yellow color branded the Jews as having betrayed Jesus, the medieval yellow star was even continued by the Nazis. Also, Judas Iscariot (one of the most well-known traitors) is usually portrayed in medieval times wearing yellow garments.

In France, the doors of traitor’s houses are painted with bright yellow. Meanwhile, in Spain, Inquisition victims were forced to wear yellow as a symbol of treason and heresy. In America during the 1800’s, there was a popular expression “yellow-dog” to describe anything that was worthless. Even today, the color yellow is strongly associated with negative things. For example, there is an expression “yellow-bellied coward” that persists in modern times. The combination of connotations associated with yellow (cowardice, treason) and the guts (heroism, stamina, grit) is apparent. A person with guts is known to have courage which leads to heroism. By associating yellow with the gut, the term “yellow-bellied coward” became a way of saying that a person lacks courage.

But why the seemingly strong dislike for the color yellow? Well, there are actually many theories. For example, in the 1890’s, Asians were seen as a “threat” and yellow was used to imply deceit. However, it is highly unlikely that the origin of using yellow to imply negative characteristics have racist undertones. The more likely source is the medieval medical belief that there are four humors (bodily fluids) within the human body.

The fluids are said to determine the mental and physical condition of a patient. If they are out of balance, they either got physically sick or mentally ill. The four fluids consisted of blood, black bile, the yellow bile, and the phlegm. The yellow bile can make you irascible, choleric, and sick. In addition, cholera (one of the most feared disease at the time) has a symptom wherein the person has yellowish diarrhea. It is easy to make the connection between yellow and inconsistency since then.

Other uses of the yellow color include using it as the symbol of quarantine. Victims of the yellow fever were isolated as not to contaminate the rest of the population. Also, there was a time of “yellow journalism” in 1895 wherein newspapers used sensationalism to attract readers. It is ironic the yellow, the color that is literally associated with everything cheerful (the sun, nature, flowers, etc) has become so negative especially if it is used metaphorically."

http://www.stumblerz.com/why-do-we-call-a-coward-yellow/

Discuss.
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 13:41
    yer inna black mood this morning...
  3. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 14:09
    I wouldn't put too much weight on it.

Yellow is also seen as the colour of the sun as you mentioned and the colour of brightness cheerfulness and hope.

Yellow is the colour of Easter and people wear yellow dresses and yellow
    Easter Bonnets.

Easter is associated with hope and renewal and rebirth as emphasized by
    small yellow Easter Chicks.

Hope and renewal that your Jesus died for you and took upon him
    the sins of the world in the hope that mankind would be reborn, restored,
    and renewed in the eyes of your God.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 14:23
    Originally posted by rookie54

yer inna black mood this morning...
    Sure glad I've got my 'inna' back.

Life wasn't pleasant during the sixteen months my button became an outie.

This past summer I strutted my 6-packs.

Ladies came by the pool for a cold one.

As a gent, of course, I obliged.
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 14:331 edit
    While at the superbowl game were you cheering for the "Yellow" (gold) and red team? If so my condolences.
    Ravens are inna black shade right?
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 20:02
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Why Do We Call a Coward Yellow?

"Yellow has always been associated with treachery, cowardice, jealousy, and inconsistency. The medieval star of yellow color branded the Jews as having betrayed Jesus, the medieval yellow star was even continued by the Nazis. Also, Judas Iscariot (one of the most well-known traitors) is usually portrayed in med ...[text shortened]... d metaphorically.[/i]"

http://www.stumblerz.com/why-do-we-call-a-coward-yellow/

Discuss.[/b]
    I have always been interested in the origins of sayings. I would just naturally assume it meant they were sick or ill, meaning weak. Then there is the connotation of cowardice and being yellow from peeing from fear.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 20:23
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I have always been interested in the origins of sayings. I would just naturally assume it meant they were sick or ill, meaning weak. Then there is the connotation of cowardice and being yellow from peeing from fear.
    Yep.
  8. Wat?
    Moves
    05 Feb '13 15:131 edit
    Yellow is the most perceptive colour to the human eye obviously, missing the perceptions, of course.

-m.

Edit: Mary Shelley also depicted Frankenstein's monster as being yellow skinned.

I wonder what the Eastersn Asians' perceptions of that are?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Feb '13 16:57
    Originally posted by mikelom

Yellow is the most perceptive colour to the human eye obviously, missing the perceptions, of course.

-m.

Edit: Mary Shelley also depicted Frankenstein's monster as being yellow skinned.

I wonder what the Eastersn Asians' perceptions of that are?
    Thanks, Mike. Here's a greatly simplified summary of the point you made:

http://www.cse.unr.edu/~looney/cs674/mgx8/unit8.pdf

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree